Long story short I switched to bass duties full time from guitar a little while ago and need a new bass amp. Just bought a used ibanez BTB675 and I'm loving it. Really starting to dig bass alot.

What I need is a combo or head/cab set up for my 5 string that can compete with a drummer, a 120watt tube amp from a guitarist. I was thinking that 100watt's would be able to keep up with the rest without distorting but any opinions on wattage is appreciated.

My budget is about 500$ or less and new or used is fine.

I play everything from motorhead to rush to primus to cream.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Looking for around 300-400 watts now.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Aug 4, 2010,
You'll need substantially more than 100W realistically to compete with a 120W guitarist. More like 3-400W.
Quote by smb
You'll need substantially more than 100W realistically to compete with a 120W guitarist. More like 3-400W.

Hey I really appreciate it. Very good to know!
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
My bassist has that acoustic halfstack with the 115 cab and its sounds pretty good. its around 400 I believe.
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
Quote by fatslash
My bassist has that acoustic halfstack with the 115 cab and its sounds pretty good. its around 400 I believe.

I was thinking about speaker configuration too. 1x15 should be enough I would think.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
my guess is that you like metal, because you have an 8 string. you will want at least a 2x10. go for 10 in speakers, they have the punch you need to cut through
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
my guess is that you like metal, because you have an 8 string. you will want at least a 2x10. go for 10 in speakers, they have the punch you need to cut through

The 8 string will be sold for the bass amp. The guitarist would only be using a 6 string. Would a 12 inch speaker cut better though since it has the most mids?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
you could try a 12, but the most common rig that you want will be 10s. theres plenty of mids if you eq it right
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
you could try a 12, but the most common rig that you want will be 10s. theres plenty of mids if you eq it right

Ah fair enough I'll keep an eye out for some 10's. Having difficulty finding something in my price range thats not behringer.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Ah fair enough I'll keep an eye out for some 10's. Having difficulty finding something in my price range thats not behringer.

whats your price range?
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
whats your price range?

About 500$ or less with shipping.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by primusclaypool1

No. If you're using a 5 string, you need at least one 15" speaker to convey the low B string (presuming you're using conventional 5 string tuning).

The low B, if I remember correctly, is roughly 31Hz.

A quick bit of research has shown me that most common 10" cabs frequency range begins at around 50-60. The lowest I could find was 40Hz, and that was an Ampeg.

I'm not sure about 12s, you might be able to get there at a push with a 12" rig, but you're not going to manage it with 10s.

Personally I use two 1x15" cabs and honestly, the clarity, note definition, and high end, is more than I could ever use anyway. The difference being that it's also capable of delivering some earth shaking low end (and remember, you are playing the bass).

Also note that I do like a tone that cuts through and you can hear all the individual notes, I don't just float aimlessly in the sub-bass realm.

So yeah, honestly, especially if you're using a 5er, just get a 1x15.
Go for a 115 IMO, I guess used Ashdown, Peavey, Laney and similar would be good for you.
How about this?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

a 115 would suit you well, but I'd rather have a 410. Personal preference, I guess.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Ziphoblat
No. If you're using a 5 string, you need at least one 15" speaker to convey the low B string (presuming you're using conventional 5 string tuning).

The low B, if I remember correctly, is roughly 31Hz.

A quick bit of research has shown me that most common 10" cabs frequency range begins at around 50-60. The lowest I could find was 40Hz, and that was an Ampeg.

I'm not sure about 12s, you might be able to get there at a push with a 12" rig, but you're not going to manage it with 10s.

Personally I use two 1x15" cabs and honestly, the clarity, note definition, and high end, is more than I could ever use anyway. The difference being that it's also capable of delivering some earth shaking low end (and remember, you are playing the bass).

Also note that I do like a tone that cuts through and you can hear all the individual notes, I don't just float aimlessly in the sub-bass realm.

So yeah, honestly, especially if you're using a 5er, just get a 1x15.

Ah I see what your saying. I'll probably go with a 1x15 then. Because I dont expect my guitar to sell for a little bit, I have rented a traynor Dynabass 200 for the month just so I could get an idea of what will work for my situation. The 15 inch speaker was lacking alittle punch at first but I remedied it by boosting my upper mids and treble slightly. I just wish it had gain. I'm thinking I might be able to get away with 200 watts but I'd really like at least 300 if I possibly can.

Edit: Forgot to mention it has a tweeter so that probably helps with the punch.

Quote by m4l666
Go for a 115 IMO, I guess used Ashdown, Peavey, Laney and similar would be good for you.
How about this?

That looks like a great option if I can find one that will ship to canada. Much appreciated.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Aug 5, 2010,
You will always get better gear going used, but if you want to buy new retail with your budget I would say Ashdown and Peavey would be good choices for you.
A 4x10 will rpoduce more lows generally then a 1x15. I would look second hand for somethin like a ashdown mag 300 head and a matching 4x10 or a peavy 450, hartke lh500 or ha3500, or look for some carvin amps.

If your looking for lots of punch go with 12's.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
A 4x10 will rpoduce more lows generally then a 1x15. I would look second hand for somethin like a ashdown mag 300 head and a matching 4x10 or a peavy 450, hartke lh500 or ha3500, or look for some carvin amps.

If your looking for lots of punch go with 12's.

I see what your saying. How difficult is it to make your own cabinet? I would think you could make one out of pine with relative ease. The measurements would not be too difficult to find.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I'm currently looking at getting a peavey TKO 1x15 400watt combo. That looks liek the best option at the moment. I was looking at the 550watt head bugera makes. Does having a tube pre amp really make a difference or is it just a scam like with guitar amps?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni