Something I've noticed with prog musicians in particular is how quite a few famous prog-rockers have suffered or suffer from mental issues.

Take Mike Oldfield for example. Both he and his sister Sally Oldlfield have had treatment for serious mental issues.

Rick Wakeman of Yes suffered from depression and was an alcoholic as well.

Is there something about certain types of musician (and I'm not just thinking of genres here) which leaves them prone to mental illness? Or is it something which seems common among any creative type?
id say its the mental disturbance which curves the creativity in a certain way.

Like me for example.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
I'm a musician and I have a crippling case of sexlexia.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I think I read that artists(painters, musicians, writers, etc.) are more likely to have mental health problems. I'm not sure if there is a direct reason or cause, but artists do(statistically) get more mental illnesses.
Probably just a coincidence.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Mike Portnoy from DT has some pretty bad OCD I hear...
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I remember reading an article that suggested that musicians were more open to mental illnesses, and that they were more sensitive to external things. I don't know about the reliability of the article though :-/
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Rick Wakeman of Yes suffered from depression and was an alcoholic as well.

He's also albino, and Jon does shrooms once a year. Idk about mental illness, but Rustey had Diabetes, and Jon Anderson's had more lung problems than you can shake a stick at...
Mental illnesses seem to help creativity. It's not just musicians, some of the best writers and painters suffered from mental illnesses as well.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
It could be associated with certain types of drugs. Not that the drugs cause the illness itself, but some drugs bring out a mental illness when it was there all along, just not as noticeable.

thats maybe one theory, but the common creativity trait sounds interesting
An interesting article on the subject: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10154775

Personally I'm likely bipolar and I think I'm quite creative.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Or is it something which seems common among any creative type?
It has no relationship to creativity. Crazy people are everywhere. You just tend to notice them more when they're in the public eye.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
To be in a prog rock band you have to be off your rocker on shrooms and pills to make the crazay music they do.

Coincidence? I think not.

Worth it though.
A lot of experts have claimed that because musicians get such a high off performing and getting off stage, they drink, do drugs and etc. to keep that high going. So I think addiction and being a rock star happen often because of that and other reasons. A lot of the best musicians had rough childhoods and took refuge in music and later when that doesnt fulfill their thirst for happiness they turn to other means.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
It has no relationship to creativity. Crazy people are everywhere. You just tend to notice them more when they're in the public eye.

what I was going to say.
Quote by Ghefly
To be in a prog rock band you have to be off your rocker on shrooms and pills to make the crazay music they do.

Coincidence? I think not.

Worth it though.

Rush would like a word....they've never done drugs. Hell, I don't think they even drink alcohol.
I don't really know why, but I know some of my favorite lyricists suffer from mental illness. I seem to think that it helps their creativity/writing in ways. Like they can make random things come together and unify an idea using things that for my life I could not see a connection between, but when they say it it's like a revelation for me...

R.I.P. Barret and Cobain...
Keep 'em comin' Craig Nicholls!
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Rush would like a word....they've never done drugs. Hell, I don't think they even drink alcohol.

I think he meant to be in a good prog rock band.
Quote by GRiMM94
I think I read that artists(painters, musicians, writers, etc.) are more likely to have mental health problems. I'm not sure if there is a direct reason or cause, but artists do(statistically) get more mental illnesses.

Its probably just that they focused on them. When you think about it, plenty of people have mental illnesses but since they aren't famous or anything, they arent focused on as much as famous people.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Yeah, they drink. Lifeson got into a scuffle in Florida, and there's an, albeit staged, picture of them fighting over a glass of wine.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

i wouldnt make the alcohol assumption, i cite the lyrics of "workin man

I get home at five o'clock
And I take myself out a nice, cold beer
Always seem to be wonderin'
Why there's nothin' goin' down here

i think there is a reference to beer in Cygnus X-1 book 2, but i cant find it now.

but as for drugs, that is true. Its the reason they look like my parents (also as old as time)
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by rushpython
cite all you want. it's not definitive proof. lyrics are often written from the point of view of someone the writer knows, rather than from the writer's own experience.

Besides. It's Rush. Who cares anyway?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Syd Barrett...

But I think it's because musicians are more emotional and hold back a lot of things that they use for musical purposes. And they do drugs. Maybe they feel a bit unstable with their lives. Otherwise, natural illnesses I guess it's just a coincidence.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by rushpython

i think there is a reference to beer in Cygnus X-1 book 2, but i cant find it now.

but as for drugs, that is true. Its the reason they look like my parents (also as old as time)

Damn it.....outRushed.
High creativity and high IQ (while not particularly co-related themselves) both seem to co-relate with higher levels of mental illness.

I suppose it could be worse, you could be stupid, uncreative but happy.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
everyone is a wee bit wacky, but when you're in the LIMELIGHT people tend to focus more, especially when you're making the BIG MONEY
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by diofan88
everyone is a wee bit wacky, but when you're in the LIMELIGHT people tend to focus more, especially when you're making the BIG MONEY

Quote by rushpython

Not enough proof. the song Passage to Bangkok is clearly a song about opiate trails in Thailand and Afghanistan.

The part in Cygnus you're looking for is about Dionysus, about the 'flock' hangin' around the forest drinkin' all night. This is in fact a parallel brought back from The Fountain of Lamneth; the sub-song Bacchus Plateau is about partially about partying (Bacchus being the Roman equivalent of Dionysus, patron God of alcohol-ism, free love, and debauchery of all kinds)
Quote by L2112Lif
Not enough proof. the song Passage to Bangkok is clearly a song about opiate trails in Thailand and Afghanistan.

The part in Cygnus you're looking for is about Dionysus, about the 'flock' hangin' around the forest drinkin' all night. This is in fact a parallel brought back from The Fountain of Lamneth; the sub-song Bacchus Plateau is about partially about partying (Bacchus being the Roman equivalent of Dionysus, patron God of alcohol-ism, free love, and debauchery of all kinds)

Now I've seen a bunch of interviews where people have asked the band about A Passage To Bangkok, and they've pretty much denied that it is any sort of personal experience they're talking about.
Quote by L2112Lif
He's also albino...

Albinism is not a mental illness; it doesn't affect the brain at all (only eyes, hair, and skin.) I know that, because I am one myself.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Now I've seen a bunch of interviews where people have asked the band about A Passage To Bangkok, and they've pretty much denied that it is any sort of personal experience they're talking about.

I know. The lyrics are written from a third-person view. I was using it as an example on how its not enough to look at a band's lyrics to see a vein of drug or alcohol-related activity.
Quote by sfaune92
Albinism is not a mental illness; it doesn't affect the brain at all (only eyes, hair, and skin.) I know that, because I am one myself.

I apologize, I meant it as a joke. I also went through to say I didn't know about artists with mental illness, but that I knew some physical. I didn't mean to insinuate that Albinism was a mental disorder, that would be mental.
Arguments I've heard is that most forms of creativity come from a way of analysing the world in a way that wouldn't be evident to other people. So I guess if you're more creative you think differently to other people - hence mental illness.
OUT OF ORDER