Imagine a ghost that is completely invisible and intangible. It travels freely through any matter. It moves around by levitation and is not affected by gravity, as it has no mass.

Is there any way that this ghost could communicate with a living person?

A bit of a dumb question, but it requires some thought outside the box. I couldn't think of any way to do it. What does The Pit think?
How can something exist if it does not consist of matter and has no mass or any other effect on the universe around it?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
If it can pass through solid objects, and there's life after death and all that jazz, it's not going to be that hard to believe it can communicate with people haha
Quote by rgrockr
How can something exist if it does not consist of matter and has no mass or any other effect on the universe around it?

How can someone never ask a hypothetical question without someone coming up and trying to be technical?

If it has no mass, it therefore has no matter, and therefore cannot interact with biological beings. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But assuming a ghost exists defies existing scientific laws, so who knows what other laws would be ignored by said ghost.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
You have pretty much described nonexistence.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Well, working off the theory that cats and other animals react strangely to supernatural entities, it could pass through a cat several times and use it's hisses to transmit morse code sequences.
🙈 🙉 🙊
One does not simply ignore the laws of physics my dear child. They're not like the laws of man. Or the laws of God that prevent me from making sweet sweet love to the woodland critters...
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Quote by damian_91
You have pretty much described nonexistence.

What I've described is the condition that some people believe a human being goes into for about 40 days after their death, before leaving the planet, and possibly the universe.
I'm trying to think of what it can actually do in that state, apart from judgementally observing its former friends and family.
Quote by rgrockr

Are you saying thoughts don't exist?
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Sure - it could communicate through speech, as speech is little more than vibration at various speeds to produce tones and pitches. You might suggest that there must be matter of a physical nature to produce that vibration, such as lips or vocal chords, but I'd say that if wind can produce a vibration amongst other external objects, then a ghost would be able to do so as well.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Zaphikh

No energy = no thoughts, and energy is mass.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by guitarsftw
If it has no mass, it therefore has no matter, and therefore cannot interact with biological beings. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gases are interacted with on a regular basis - in both scientific and flatulent manners.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by sashki
What I've described is the condition that some people believe a human being goes into for about 40 days after their death, before leaving the planet, and possibly the universe.
I'm trying to think of what it can actually do in that state, apart from judgementally observing its former friends and family.

Well, since this is all hypothetical, it could 'hypothetically' manipulate matter. Why not? Maybe the ghost is telekinetic? With no physical limitations to hold that concept back, ghost may be ten times more psychically adept than humans.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by damian_91

That's nice, but irrelevant.

Energy =/= Thoughts.

That's like saying no gasoline = no car.

A thought has no mass and does not affect the universe around it until the carrier of the thought decides to act on it.
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Quote by entity0009
Well, working off the theory that cats and other animals react strangely to supernatural entities, it could pass through a cat several times and use it's hisses to transmit morse code sequences.

YES! You've just given me the reason I need to perform an exorcism on my cat! AWESOME
Quote by Zaphikh
That's nice, but irrelevant.

Energy =/= Thoughts.

That's like saying no gasoline = no car.

A thought has no mass and does not affect the universe around it until the carrier of the thought decides to act on it.

Hardly irrelevant, there can't be thoughts without energy, they're the result of it.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by damian_91
Hardly irrelevant, there can't be thoughts without energy, they're the result of it.

So is a car the result of gasoline?
Quote by damian_91

I'm not so sure.

Mass is described as

"the quantity of matter as determined from its weight or from Newton's second law of motion"

and the second law stated above is stating that :

A body of mass m subject to a force F undergoes an acceleration a that has the same direction as the force and a magnitude that is directly proportional to the force and inversely proportional to the mass, i.e., F = ma. Alternatively, the total force applied on a body is equal to the time derivative of linear momentum of the body.

I'm not sure that energy is mass if I'm following those guidelines, as in order for it to be mass by way of Newton's second law, it must be a body of defined mass which is then undergoing of a shift in velocity based on direction. It's about momentum, not about 'energy.'

Energy would mean, I believe, the force derived from the velocity which was applied to said 'mass.'

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Zaphikh
So is a car the result of gasoline?

Quote by rgrockr

Quote by Zaphikh

You're assuming thoughts are "something", they're the result of chemical interactions.

edit^ ΔE=Δm*c, energy is mass.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by damian_91
You're assuming thoughts are "something", they're the result of chemical interactions.

I understand they're the result of something. Being the result of something does not mean it is composed of what got it there and doesn't mean that it has the same characteristics. Thoughts are the result of electrical impulses but that does not make them electrical impulses just as gasoline does not make a vehicle.

I'm going back to work, I'll continue this later.
They sayin' the metaphysical world is not dependant on the physical world so assigning physical properties like mass to metaphysical beings makes no sense. They also sayin' metaphysical beings can still observe and influence the physical world, just not the other way around. Going by this, a goast could communicate with the physical world.

That's what they's sayin'. But I think them's crazy.
Quote by damian_91

edit^ ΔE=Δm*c, energy is mass.

Ah. Myth Busted by a single formula. Suggesting that something is composed of something by way of interaction and creation from it, but not any longer that thing doesn't make much sense in hindsight.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by leg end
YES! You've just given me the reason I need to perform an exorcism on my cat! AWESOME

Man, as long as it doesn't do the spiderwalk down the stairs...

Wait a minute. That girl from The Exorcist peed on the carpet and cats do that all the time. Something's fishy.
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 4, 2010,
This is only speculations.

What if ghosts are concentrated energy, and uses what it can to try to communicate, like controlling parts of our minds making our mind think it talks to it, or use air, or any objects that moves.

Sadly, the only ones who truly knows are well.....dead.
Last edited by GisleAune at Aug 4, 2010,