Though this thread touches advanced topics, even people non advanced can use this to their advantage. Not saying I'm advanced or anything

Thus far I can do:
- All the scale modes (lydian, ionian, dorian...etc) at 200 bpm (16ths)
- Same with the minor pentatonic scale only, I don't know any others.
- I can do things outside of the modes like harmonic minor but I don't know much
- I know like 2-3 arpeggio shapes, can only do one cleanly at 160 bpm (16ths)
- I can tap anything on one string, I can't use more than one
- My pinky can do fun stuff
- I can read musics and anything to do with intervals, I'm fine with vibratos and I know all the harmonics except artificial harmonic. I cannot squeelie (sp?) like dimebag yet

So now you know what I can do.

Question:
What can I do to expand my solo repertoire? how can I make it so I'm always not soloing on a certain mode all the time?

What certain techniques could add flavor to my playing (ex: should I learn more pentatonics? should I learn styles like gypsy scales? string skipping? etc)

What do you do to make yourself "exotic"?

thanks in advance !
PS: I tried looking for this topic in search and couldn't find any
: )
Try playing jazz. When i was stuck i tried learning jazz and now I can play jazz too! Anyways you may want to learn more scales. I know there's lessons on here on exotic scales. Learn how to do pinch harmonics they are really fun (BTW Zakk Wylde>Dimebag). Also try adding more effects. (Wah, Q, Phaser, Flanger, Octavers, Tremelo, Whammy) They can spur imagination (i don't know what spur means i hope i used it right)
what about learning the harmonic minor and the 7 modes within that.

do you know pitch axis theory.

start writing a album and scoring music.

get out playing some gigs (put what you know to some use)
Quote by salgala2000
BTW Zakk Wylde>Dimebag

hahahahahahahaha ...no. Zakk Wylde uses pinches too much.

I would definitely focus on learning how to pinches. I would also learn some other scales, like superlocrian, phrygian dominant and the modal pentatonics.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Different tunings, and mixing modes into one scale mode?

Pinch harmonics will really liven things up, and using harmonics overall, and mixing them into solos will give you more range. Using harmonics with a whammy, also gives it some flavour. Dont ignore extra-ordinary stuff, and using things like wah pedals and whammy pedals, can really colour up the solo.

Also, octave shifting?

Using tapping in these scale modes?

Just some suggestions.