Hey fellas, im new to the forum so i am pre-apologising for any "nooby" mistakes.

So i have a Les Paul copy, its not branded and i bought it off a friend last year. Ive been playing for about 2-3 years. The sound of my guitar is okay, but thats from the help of my Line 6 Spider 3 amp...

I play bedroom stuff alot but im also in a band. We play stuff like Green Day, Blink 182, Arctic Monkeys, Black Sabbath, Led Zep and some AC/DC. In my bedroom i play similar stuff but also a LOT of Metallica. Some other metal such as Killswitch Engage, Iron Maiden and then other stuff like Jimi Hendrix. Im geussing the best sound for me would be something with humbuckers. My price range is about £300-£500, so what are you guys thinking?

Sorry for any mistakes and the big wall of text.

Thanks very much, James.
First of all, this is a good description of where you are. I assume you're in the UK so check the Craigslist or whatever they have there. Second of all, the amp is your problem. I suggest you look into a JCM combo(used), or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
That looks pretty good, thanks for the input but im looking something a bit more like an Les Paul Custom. Also i was look at the Epiphone Korina 1958 Explorer, ive heard people saying they are good but people saying they are good and from reading multiple reviews, ive picked up that they are good but could do with a pick up change....
Your guitar is most likely fine, it is not the biggest factor in your tone.

That would be your amp. And Line 6 Spider III? You'll learn, soon enough, how hated they are here.. And what terrible amps they are in reality.

I suggest taking the bulk of that budget and put it into another amp.. And depending how much you could have left, try and sell your copy to fund a better guitar..

Remember, amp first. Guitar second. Pedals third. Pickups last.
Quote by Zead2
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-sa-260-fm/10311

then use the money left over to buy a better amp.

+1

I've played the ibanez SA, my brother has one. Speedy neck, good sound from the humbuckers and a coil split. Pretty handy.

Are you happy with your guitar?

A better amp will improve your sound far more than a new guitar. As much as I like the Ibanez, I'd actually recommend spending the lot on a new amp and keeping the guitar.
Plus, the general consensus is that line 6 spider 3's suck giant monkey balls. At any rate, there's better for the money, and a hell of a lot better for 500 quid!

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to suggest an amp for you.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by NosralTserrof
First of all, this is a good description of where you are. I assume you're in the UK so check the Craigslist or whatever they have there. Second of all, the amp is your problem. I suggest you look into a JCM combo(used), or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Thanks, but im pretty happy with my amp, it serves me well. What would you say about this http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-1958-korina/896 id get it in ebony and possibly change the pick ups if they were crap.
Quote by trialsjames
Thanks, but im pretty happy with my amp, it serves me well. What would you say about this http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-1958-korina/896 id get it in ebony and possibly change the pick ups if they were crap.

A pickup change wouldn't affect your tone in the least playing through that Spider III. Just trust us, NEW AMP! You'll be so much happier in the long run.
Quote by trialsjames
So i have a Les Paul copy, its not branded and i bought it off a friend last year. Ive been playing for about 2-3 years. The sound of my guitar is okay, but thats from the help of my Line 6 Spider 3 amp...

Fail . On a more serious note (No pun intended), If you don't like the way your guitar feels, go ahead and change it but if your looking for it to sound better I'd go for a new amp
What is your budget when converted to USD? I can help more if I knew the budget in terms I can deal with

Quote by cainmd
all i had to read was line6 spider, new amp!

As did the rest of us
No offense to you TS, of course. Our motives are all good, not to just flame the hell out of you for your amp choice.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by salgala2000
Fail . On a more serious note (No pun intended), If you don't like the way your guitar feels, go ahead and change it but if your looking for it to sound better I'd go for a new amp

Yeah, sorry. As i clearly stated, im new to the forum and i was aware i was about to make a noobish mistake. Will someone please explain to me why Spider 3's are so hated? Haha
Quote by trialsjames
Yeah, sorry. As i clearly stated, im new to the forum and i was aware i was about to make a noobish mistake. Will someone please explain to me why Spider 3's are so hated? Haha

Well it goes like this:

1. Digital modeling amps aren't the greatest to begin with, but the Spiders are just crap.
2. Every guitar sounds the same through a Spider.
3. Spiders suck.
5. You have now learned I can't count.
Haha, comical. Anyway, so what amps are like good for my budget (providing id have about another £100ish from selling my spider)