The other tube thread reminded me of this.

I actually want a tube amp also, however I have heard that they don't sound good at low volumes, is this correct?

Because I live in a condo, I am moving soon but for now I need it to be somewhat quiet, I mean I have a Schecter Omen 6 running through a Frontman 15G at about 3 on the volume with gain usually at maximum on 8-10.

Also, is there a good one for about $500 or less?

NOTE: I also mainly play Hard Rock (Led Zeppelin), Metal (Dream Theater, Megadeth, Iron Maiden) and Bluesy riffs.
You will find that once you get rid of your Fender, suddenly everything sounds so much better. Not that Fenders are bad, they are just ideal for clean tones and bluesy overdrive. And according to what you play, a Fender might not be the best option. Especially solid state. Every guitarist should own a tube amp. You wont find many top brands in your price range, unless you go on craigslist or ebay. Try a Peavey Valveking 1x12. Its about $400 brand new and has a pretty good tone. A tube amp defines rock and roll. These days you can find a good tube amp that sounds good at lower volumes. Just keep in mind that the whole idea behind tube amp sound comes from raising the volume and driving those tubes to "distort". Ta Da, authentic rock and roll baby. Tube amps have to be taken care of. Its an old fragile technology. Do your reasearch, learn the proper care. Or you might be resorting back to your Frontman.
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
they don't sound as good at low volume as they do when you turn up the volume. but they still sound better than solid state at low volume.

I think pretty much all the tube amps sound good. the problem with the low wattage amps is the lack of features, but yeah you can turn the volume up. Popular low wattage amps in you price range include Blackheart amps, epiphone valve junior,the fender champ and the fender blues junior.
I felt lonely being the only one who does not have a pointless signature
I love my fender hot rod deluxe. If you use craigslist and ebay you'll be able to find something good in your price range. Its not that tube amps sound bad at low volumes. They just don't sound the same as they do at higher volumes. Definitely better than your frontman though. I think you can also get some device that lets you turn the amp up but keep volume low.
The HRD won't do metal at all without a serious distortion pedal, and the VK won't do what the OP wants without alot of work in upgrades. I can say that as a Valveking owner.

If you want something that will sound good quiet and loud, go for a Vypyr Tube 60. It has a headphone jack for silent practice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
With low wattage amps you'll need a boost for metal. As far as I know there aren't any low wattage amps in your price range that won't need a boost. Alternatively, you can get something like a Blues Junior and use pedals... preference really.

super quiet makes me think ZVex Nano but there are gonna be others. It depends how loud you want the amp to get (remember tube is louder than solid state)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
With low wattage amps you'll need a boost for metal. As far as I know there aren't any low wattage amps in your price range that won't need a boost. Alternatively, you can get something like a Blues Junior and use pedals... preference really.

super quiet makes me think ZVex Nano but there are gonna be others. It depends how loud you want the amp to get (remember tube is louder than solid state)
Not to necro my thread but.

It can be loud, just not obnoxiously loud to the point where you could hear it outside of a house clearly.
Day old isn't anything to worry about... Its three year old threads we don't like bumping.

I would say buy the amp you want and work out playing quietly later. Amp volume in reference to wattage isn't uniform. My 100 watt Bassman through a 2x12 is a much more appropriate bedroom amp than my 5 watt Valve Junior through a 1x12. I don't know why, obviously the Bassman can get louder, but it can also sound better quieter... So buy what you want, any amp can play quiet. The key is; on that rare occasion when you get to dime it, will it sound as awesome as you hope?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

I would say buy the amp you want and work out playing quietly later. Amp volume in reference to wattage isn't uniform...The key is; on that rare occasion when you get to dime it, will it sound as awesome as you hope?

Exactly. Just go for the sound you want. I've run Non-master amps in a dorm before

That said, something with a good master volume would be ideal for you. Look along the lines of peavey 5150/XXX/Jsx/Ultra would work fine. Maybe a marshall jcm 900/2000
Quote by fly135
Fender Super Champ XD is perfect for great tones at low volume.
I listened to a few demos of this, does it do heavy stuff like Megadeth well?\

Certainly didn't seem like it
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I listened to a few demos of this, does it do heavy stuff like Megadeth well?\

Certainly didn't seem like it

It actually looked like it had some fairly high gain tones on it for a fender because its a modeller but eh i would try it out.
Fender tube =/= high gain. If you want Megadeth try to find a Marshall JCM800 - I've seen a few under 500. And now for my obligatory Bugera plug - Any of their 626_ or 333 series amps should go for under 500 used. They're basically clones of the Peavey 5150 and XXX/JSX/3120 respectively but they sound just as good if not better than the amps they're based on. If you can afford a half stack check out the heads of those amps or the 1990, which is based on a marshall JCM900.

Finally, the thing that everyone seems to be talking about lately is the Jet City JCA20. These things are reported to go to the brink of metal, and if you have a pedal to boost them then you're (supposedy) in tonal heaven. I've never actually used one but there's plenty of guys here who have. They're insanely cheap and designed by Mike Soldano. It's 20 watts, which means that this is also the quietest of the amps I've listed and is probably your best bet. Ask around to get an idea of which pedals work well to push it over the edge.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Fender tube =/= high gain. If you want Megadeth try to find a Marshall JCM800 - I've seen a few under 500. And now for my obligatory Bugera plug - Any of their 626_ or 333 series amps should go for under 500 used. They're basically clones of the Peavey 5150 and XXX/JSX/3120 respectively but they sound just as good if not better than the amps they're based on. If you can afford a half stack check out the heads of those amps or the 1990, which is based on a marshall JCM900.

Finally, the thing that everyone seems to be talking about lately is the Jet City JCA20. These things are reported to go to the brink of metal, and if you have a pedal to boost them then you're (supposedy) in tonal heaven. I've never actually used one but there's plenty of guys here who have. They're insanely cheap and designed by Mike Soldano. It's 20 watts, which means that this is also the quietest of the amps I've listed and is probably your best bet. Ask around to get an idea of which pedals work well to push it over the edge.
That was super helpful, thanks man.

All of these were great ideas and I WILL be trying out all of these in-store
I second the JCA. Although the single channel bit may be less than what you desired.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
That was super helpful, thanks man.

All of these were great ideas and I WILL be trying out all of these in-store

Always glad to help out. One thing I should mention - the Bugeras are LOUD. Don't put them past 3 if you want to keep your hearing.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Fender tube =/= high gain.
That isn't the case with the SCXD. It has a modeling front end and is capable of delivering high gain tones. As with all amps you need to play it to see if suits your needs.
Okay I think I got from I need from this except one thing, I was looking around for a Marshall JCM800 but I can't find one under $1200

Anyone able to provide me with a link? I will then let this thread die.
Quote by CL/\SH
I second the JCA. Although the single channel bit may be less than what you desired.

Third, maybe fourth this (to tired to read the whole damn thread)

If you're not worried about having another channel, the JCA20 would be great.

It can do the br00tz and anything else in between I believe.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Okay I think I got from I need from this except one thing, I was looking around for a Marshall JCM800 but I can't find one under $1200

Anyone able to provide me with a link? I will then let this thread die.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=583601

Just do eet
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I can try that too but I asked for the Marshall Link...

For an used JCM 800? :/
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Meh, I just wanna try everything.

Wat.

Are you looking for a clip of the JCM 800? Or an used ad from like eBay or Craigslist?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Wat.

Are you looking for a clip of the JCM 800? Or an used ad from like eBay or Craigslist?
A video and a link to the product if possible