How do those of you who are songwriters find inspiration/come up with ideas for songs? What are your methods? Any links to sites that help with this problem, or links to good books or anything like that?
Thanks.
Sending a dummy to my God.

I listen to lots of different bands, use chords that i wouldn't usually use in styles that they aren't typically found, and sometimes just take a break altogether from guitar.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I like to stay up till 4am watching TV while playing my acoustic. Sleep deprivation + silly TV series is a potent combination.

Try it sometime.
I don't have any problems in my life so I have very little to write about. My band mates on the other hand....
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
listen to as much music as possible, from every genre. if you only listen to one type of music or the same bands for too long thats all your going to really sound like.
Id say weed, but that usually makes me hungry.

Have a blues jam for a few hours, find a real nice tone. Usually makes me feel pretty inspired.
Smoke marijuana, meditate in the middle of a pentagram with an acoustic, and conjure up tunes of dire proportion.
One time when I was a younger lad, my parents were fighting for the hundredth time. The house was filled with yelling and threats of violence and shit getting brokem.

I locked myself in my room with my acoustic and wrote a song about making friends with a male homosexual black widow spider on LSD and our misadventures, including walking down the street seeing a purple cat shitting on the feet of a boneless hippopotamus and a rhinoceros ****ing a taxi cab, and going to chuck E. cheese.

I think my inspiration gears are backwards somewhere.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Quote by Fat Lard
Smoke marijuana, meditate in the middle of a pentagram with an acoustic, and conjure up tunes of dire proportion.

Thiiis duuuude.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Also, TS, do you know what kind of music you want to write?

I've found that writing something with the intention of it turning out a specific way can be difficult. It's better to try not to think too much.

The reason that weed/alcohol/sleep deprivation works so well is probably that it stops you from over-thinking it. It's a song you're writing after all, not an essay.
Don't force it. You force it and your songs are probably going to be shockingly crap. Listen to a song you like and try to write a song in the style of said song.
being inspired to seek inspiration does nothing! it just happens.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Fat Lard

for some reason, that reminds me of something I need to do. thanks!
I carry a notepad and pen in my backpocket everywhere I go, when something comes to me, I just whip it out and write then and there. I find when I sit down and try to think of something to write, it usually comes out very boring. I don't think musical inspiration is something you can control, it just happens, and you have to be ready for it I guess.