Ok so me and my friend had a little argument the other day because he said that Buckethead was stupidly skilled and amazing on guitar and best ever! and I said no I prefer Kirk Hammet to him. He said no Buckethead is definitely more skilled, so I said I'd still rather be Kirk cos he's been more influential but still skilled.

Which brings me to this thread...

Which would you rather be... highly skilled like a Buckethead...

Or an influential like say.. Noel Gallagher or Kirk (not so skilled but still truly brilliant to give us that influence that makes us want to pick up the great instrument that is the guitar)

Influential Definately.

There will be haters no matter who you are. But to actually have people say that ou directly made them learn to play...that would be great.
Why not both? Joe Satriani is one of the main reasons I picked up guitar. He is extremely skilled.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I'd be a Kirk, Hendrix, Clapton, or Rhoades over some technical bullcrapper anyday.
Guitar is 10% physical, 20% Knowledge, and 70% "feeling it"

The best guitarist, are the ones who really know who how to feel their way into guitar.
Emotion is the basis of Expression, and Music is a pure form of Expression my friend.

P.S. Kirk inspired me to play as well, nice!
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

I'd say influential. Some of the best songs ever written aren't technical masterpieces.

And I guess Kirk is a great example of influence because he made me want to play too.
I'd be Santiago Dobles, and make the world explode.

I actually have no idea which I want to be with that answer...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Honestly? Both. Kirk has a distinct lack of technical skill or much of a feel, but someone like, say, Slash has the whole rock feel thing down real well, as does EVH.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.