So I'm looking at these three boutique pup makers for in case i ever need or choose to replace the pickups in any new guitars I get in the future (I know that duncans and dimarzios are good, but let's face it, boutique is where it's at)

I know that for my style of music, which is mostly metal and rock but also some ska, jazz and classic rock (so basically everything) bare knuckle nailbombs would suit me quite well (in a basswood body anyway)

any clue which pickups from motor city and rock monkey would be best?

Also, corduroy, since I figure you'll read this at some point, I have a couple questions of you have the tome about different pup magnets and output etc
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
that sounds like a question for the gear page. do you want robben ford tones?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ewww pafs.

i still need try a rockmonkey and i really wanna try the motorcity solution and nuke.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Dave_Mc

um.... I posted this in the gear page, lol

as far as pafs, they are kinda not great for metal, and IMO tend to just a BIT muddier than I like

from what I've seen of the other two brands, the solutions from motor city, and the SOB look like they might be good choices, but I don't know what the neodymium magnets in the SOBs are like
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by Metalmaker

as far as pafs, they are kinda not great for metal, and IMO tend to just a BIT muddier than I like

from what I've seen of the other two brands, the solutions from motor city, and the SOB look like they might be good choices, but I don't know what the neodymium magnets in the SOBs are like

Very high output, with more bass, midrange and treble than other types of magnets, they have a very prominent grinding midrange and they have a very high magnet pull on the strings so you keep them lower than other pickups
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by Dave_Mc

Make sure the pickup doesnt have any crystal lattice to interrupt the fragile harmonics!

On a serious note going for the most high output pickups wont give you the greatest versitility for the genre you're going to. You're better off going for something less hot and letting your gear do the work. For high gain stuff you'll get better clarity going with less hot pickups and for everything else it'll work way better
^well not necessarily. If he were to use a vintage voiced PAF that had some bloom to it, it would get very muddy very quickly in fast metal licks and riffs. I'd settle with a modern higher output pickup thats very clear ala. bareknuckle nailbombs. BKP's can also get very versitile since they clean up very nicely and with certain coil taps and pickups in series/parrallel there are a range of tones that are available.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

wolfetone fenris alinco IV. 10k neck 16k bridge. paf can suckiiiiit

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6850935/
acousticmirror knows tone.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6835387/
tone is in the fingers anyway.

Last edited by AcousticMirror at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc

Politician clips!

Edit:
Quote by al112987
He wants the tone that Tag gets when jamming out to Politician on his Dumble.

Tag knows tone, I value his opinion.

LMAO

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6826799/

****, beat me to the punch!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^ I've been trying to write one about EG for days now. I just can't get it the way I want, though.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
lol I just started, I'll work on it for another 15 minutes then send you a link. This site is awesome.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ I've been trying to write one about EG for days now. I just can't get it the way I want, though.

Just replace everything you've written with "Schecter" and that'll about do.
^ That was more or less the plan, yes.

Also, Agile and Epiphone.

to actually contribute to this thread...

not any of those makers are "better" than the other. they all do their own things, contact the winders and get a feel for what they can do to serve your needs.
Quote by Metalmaker

hahahaha, nice job

fwiw i agree about pafs- while they're more versatile than high output pickups, if you know you need high gain, high gain pickups are better at it, tighter etc.

EDIT: what's all this guff about better clarity with low output pickups? I've never noticed that at all. The tightest pickup I've ever played is a bareknuckle miracle man. Most (if not all) of the lower gain pickups I've played mush out under anything approaching high gain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 5, 2010,