Page 1 of 3
This is a thread for anything about the Clash from Joe Strummer to the british punk rock scene at the time to there albums. If there is another thread about the clash please tell me but i never saw one. So talk away about the only band tht matters
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

"The future is unwritten,"-Joe Strummer
I like the Clash.

Favourite song? Career Opportunities, but the one at Shea Stadium because Mick does this really gay vocal harmony, it's brilliant.
I too enjoy the Clash...

that's all I have for this topic
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I like the Clash.

Favourite song? Career Opportunities, but the one at Shea Stadium because Mick does this really gay vocal harmony, it's brilliant.

Mick is awesome cause all his songs are so fucking faggy. You can do super gay dance moves to all of them. Train in Vain? check. I'm Not Down? check.

I recorded an acoustic Train in Vain cover for the punx comp but forgot to submit it. It was pretty awesome. Pretty gay too, as I do recall.

Seriously though: The Card Cheat = best Clash song ever. EVER.
DOWN&OUT
I also searched and could not find anything. I recently got into this band. I really just started listening to them only a month or so ago. I've got 3 of their albums at the moment and will probably have them all eventually. London Calling might be one of the best albums of all time. If not, it's one of my favorites. They are great and I like a lot of their songs.
Quote by Jett Diamond
Seriously though: The Card Cheat = best Clash song ever. EVER.

I always 'd that one! Mick's vocals send shivers down my spine every time I hear it.

The Clash used to be my absolute favorite band. They're still one of my favorites, but I don't listen to them as often anymore. But I think I'm gonna spin London Calling tomorrow. Too many great songs on that for me to pick a favorite.

I also think that Sandinista! is great. People always say there's one great album's worth of material between the six sides, but I think it's a still a solid album front to back. The only down side is that it is a triple album. I mean, I'll listen to double albums in one sitting, no problem, but it takes a special kind of commitment to sit down and appreciate a two and a half hour album, regardless of how solid it is. I don't think I've ever listened to it all in one sitting. But it's such a mish-mash of different stuff that you don't really need to.
Am I the only one who thinks Koka Kola is a superbly written song?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
^Probably. If I remember correctly from an old thread, a lot of people here disliked that tune. I don't see why, though.

Ya, they were my favorite band but after a couple of years I kinda got burned out on them. They can't really keep my attention anymore.
Quote by nashawa
Am I the only one who thinks Koka Kola is a superbly written song?

Love that song. Fawk the haters.
There are a lot of songs on London Calling that are total filler, but that, in my opinion, is not one of 'em.
DOWN&OUT
I don't like Lover's Rock or Four Horsemen, but other than those...
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
There's a couple songs I get, but I like most of the songs. "Train in Vain" is my jam fo sho

I italicized when it should have been quotes. Boy is my face red.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
my fav from mick is stay free its a great song and he sings great in it. My personal favorite clash song will probly b straight to hell
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

I just listened to their self titled album 3 times today. Too much? Nah. There are some great tunes on there. Janie Jones, I'm So Bored with the USA, White Riot, London's Burning... the list goes on. Just a great album.
Quote by Jett Diamond
Mick is awesome cause all his songs are so fucking faggy. You can do super gay dance moves to all of them. Train in Vain? check. I'm Not Down? check.

Those are nothing compared to "1-2 Crush on You."
Quote by werty22
Those are nothing compared to "1-2 Crush on You."

hahaha I hadn't heard that one, but i just downloaded it, and I can so imagine some seriously homo-erotic renditions of the twist going down to that.
DOWN&OUT
"Lost in the Supermarket" is pretty gay.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Ya but that's a Strummer tune. He wrote it for Mick, and I remember that because Brian once noted that the line "I wasn't born so much as I fell out" insinuates that that Mick's mother was promiscuous.
Yeah, I lol'd. I always liked that song, though.
I always hated "Should I Stay or Should I Go". I don't care what anyone says or how many great songs Mick wrote and sang, that's the worst Clash song, in my opinion. [Not counting the stuff on Cut the Crap, of course, since I haven't listened to it.]
"Crush on You" was originally a London SS song if I recall.

I think it's lame that London SS's demo isn't available. If it's totally lost and nobody has any copies, oh well. But it's more likely that there's a copy somewhere and it's just never been circulated. Even if the members don't think their music was very good, there are thousands of people who would love to hear it. Being selective with material wasn't really one of The Clash's virtues anyway, and when it comes to unofficial releases I think it's best for a band to just throw everything out there, ya know?

Besides, it couldn't be worse than B.A.D.
Speaking of Clash members previous works, I saw The 101er's album in the ON SALE bin at Newbury Comics last weekend, and thought to myself "Man, if this was three years ago I'd be all over this." I actually downloaded it around three years ago. It's floating around on my old computer.

It's weird going to record stores and seeing albums that I always wanted when I was younger and only got around to FYE and Borders, though. Like at first I get really excited and I'm all "Aw, I always wanted to get this, and now I found it!" But then I'm like "Oh yeah, I'm not in tenth grade anymore, and I'm not really interested in Choking Victim."
Oh, and the highlight to The 101er's album was probably hearing the chorus to "Jail Guitar Doors" in whatever song it was originally in. Even when I was all over that I never thought it was that great.
Quote by due 07
London Calling rules. As does their self-titled.

This is an absolutely true statement. I listened to London Calling again last night. Such a great album.
If you want to call him a bassist...
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
If you want to call him a bassist...

I think its his playing that really keeps me listenign to the clash, there's a lot of moments where I'm like "WOW! never noticed that sick bassline." I also like listening for clap tracks.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
I think its his playing that really keeps me listenign to the clash, there's a lot of moments where I'm like "WOW! never noticed that sick bassline." I also like listening for clap tracks.

Sick basslines? Really? He was almost as bad as Sid was.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa

Huh, loads of his stuff gets me reaching for the air-bass: Bankrobber, Listen, Jimmy Jazz, Lost In The Supermarket, Death Or Glory ...

Anyway, here's a cool little interview with Topper that the BBC did a while back - drum-tastic. I always thought he was damn good so that bit of him playing at the end is pretty sweet
Quote by nashawa

What about that part on Koka Kola? Or the Magnificent Seven? Police on my Back?
I think the fact that the four of them were able to come to together and make any coherent music is a miracle, let alone some of the best rock and roll albums ever.
I admit I'm definitely overstating. When the band started out, he was no better than Sid. He just like reggae and was like "hey, Imma be a bassist", but by the time London Calling came along, he was writing some fun stuff.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by SKAtastic7770
Or the Magnificent Seven?

To be fair, that was the guy from Ian Drury and the Blockheads
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by nashawa
I admit I'm definitely overstating. When the band started out, he was no better than Sid. He just like reggae and was like "hey, Imma be a bassist", but by the time London Calling came along, he was writing some fun stuff.

Yeah, I think Joe put it roughly the same - that he was a total novice at the beginning but by the end Joe thought he was one of the best bassists in the world. YMMV
Quote by blue_strat
It's kind of weird - there have been a lot of Clash threads, but they only last a couple of pages before a long silence prompts another one.

Apr-May 2006
Jun-Jul 2006
Dec 2006
Jul 2006 - Mar 2007
Sep 2007 - Jan 2008
May 2009

Yes, I really have nothing better to do.

Hmmm... For some reason a lot of the threads for my favorite bands die young. Also, I probably didn't see those because I keep the automatic thread killer thing on.
i dont hav tht book but i do hav this one:
http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0446539732
which is a great big pink book with bios of the members, the band, the albums and lots of pictures.
I also hav this book;
http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0865479828
which is a great bio of joe and the clash

I love that bit on "Safe European Home" where they're all like

Whereeeeeeeeeeee'd ya go?!

I also love the Clash in general. They were very well dressed.

I've never come close to getting through Sandinista! though
Page 1 of 3