I've heard nothing but great things about the Gibson Explorer, even to the extent of many saying it sounds like God himself. I know that spending 1K on a Gibson would be well worth the money, my concern is *how* much better is a Gibson Explorer when compared to other Guitars, namely the Epiphone Futura Prophecy FX. I don't think I'd feel comfortable giving up my Futura unless the difference between the two would be like comparing a PS1 to a PS3. So I guess my query would be is the Gibson Explorer as amazing as I've heard, or rather is there only a minute difference between the Gibson and other guitars around the 800-1K price range? Please and thanks for any responses
Last edited by Idontcare222 at Aug 4, 2010,
gibsons are usually really good unless some kids at guitar center destroy them
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Your gonna have to try instrument first. I was an explorer fan until I tried one at guitar center, as I find them to be heavy, and bulky with the edge protruding into my right arm.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by Bluesblitz
Your gonna have to try instrument first. I was an explorer fan until I tried one at guitar center, as I find them to be heavy, and bulky with the edge protruding into my right arm.

they are actually much better feeling standing up, sitting down that corner hits you but when standing they are very comfy.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
the moment i started playing an explorer, i knew it was the right guitar for me. it's all about how it feels to you, but i must quote a guitarist who was getting on stage after me, "make way for the kid playing a table!".
I'd love to try a Gibson Explorer myself, it's just that none of the music stores around me carry them. I've tried to find videos of people playing a Gibson Explorer, in order to compare sounds, but this is an almost impossible task with all the distorton floating around. I like Explorers, the Epiphone Futura is one itself, I just wouldn't be happy trading my Futura for a Gibson Explorer unless the sound and quality are worlds apart, as I've fallen in love with the Futura Propecy's slim shape, something a regular Gibson Explorer lacks.
well, i don't know how to compare the futura to an explorer, but honestly, if you really love your futura, stick to it, at least until you can play an explorer in person. so i'd just wait it out. with a similar shape, i'd assume the warm tone of the explorer carries over to the futura due to the huge amount of wood (lawlz). also, the explorer's neck is nothing like a les paul or any other gibson i've played for that matter, it's much slimmer and not blocky at all.
Last edited by Electric Pluto at Aug 4, 2010,
I'd also like to know how big of a deal the Gibson Explorer's actually are. I have an Epiphone Explorer and it's all right. I love it when playing rhythm but for solos... I'd like to know how much better the Gibson is.

EDIT : Oh yeah. I really like the slim neck on mine, I guess the action is a bit messed. Is the Gibson as slim?
Last edited by Gary.Blizzard at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by Gary.Blizzard
I'd also like to know how big of a deal the Gibson Explorer's actually are. I have an Epiphone Explorer and it's all right. I love it when playing rhythm but for solos... I'd like to know how much better the Gibson is.

EDIT : Oh yeah. I really like the slim neck on mine, I guess the action is a bit messed. Is the Gibson as slim?

i never really considered them a big deal, i just instantly fell in love with it when i started playing and i had the funds for a gibson at the time. my action's always been pretty good, low enough for soloing but high enough not to buzz. and for solos, i've always played lead guitar in bands mostly due to my rhythm not being as good, and my explorer is my main guitar. it's not like i'm shredding it but i play the best, quickest things on it. so maybe there is a difference in that regard between both brands, or it's just my hands being small allows me better speed on it's thin neck versus say a blocky les paul.
First off...

Gibson > Epiphone...no contest (flame shield on)

I love Explorers, They can handle any genre with ease, and there will be a world of a difference between that and your Epiphone futura.

I have a 2004 Xplorer pro which is basically an Explorer that's 10% smaller, no pickguard and a flame top. She hasn't let me down yet and I don't forse her doing so in the future

Definetlrey try one out and see if ya like it
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
They say that Epiphone is the poor mans Gibson, so I know the quality is worse. I'll just stick with my Futura till I can play a Gibson Explorer for myself, see what I think. Granted it is a better guitar, I'm still willing to guess the sound won't be *that* much better when compared to the Futura.
My uncle just bought a Gibson Explorer and he says its one of the nicest guitars he's played. And this is coming from a Guy who has gear like a Randy Rhoads offset V, and a 59 reissue, 70 Les Paul Custom and bunch of other good guitars to many to name. But he loves his Explorer.
My Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 75w
- Epiphone SG G-310(Added Seymour Duncan's)
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
I have 2 Epi Explorers, 1 I've had since 2006 and has had mutiple PU changes. Why? It's a handy stealth weapon with the proper set-up and amp.

I also have the Gibson Explorer and there's no denying that it just feels better; however, youll pay a premium for this.

As mentioned above, it looks big and if you're slight of build and/or are short, it'll make you look like a child or a hobbit.

Play one through an amp like yours or through an amp you plan to buy, then decide.

Gibson is a quality guitar even though QC has seemed to have been forgoten. You do not have to spend $1000.00+ on an Explorer I was lucky to get my faded Gibby Explorer with HSC from GC for only $495.00. It's one of the best Explorers I have owned. Used ones can be found for under a grand and don't rule out Epiphone Explorers I have has several that were just as good as the Gibsons I have owned.

John
Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate them. I've looked in music stores in my area and none of them carry a Gibson Explorer of any kind, but it sounds like Epiphone can sound just as incredible. For now I don't see me purchasing a $1k+ Gibson Explorer anytime soon, maybe a cheaper one to toy around with, but not at the cost of giving up my Futura. I always loved the looks of this guitar the minute I saw it in a local music store. It's slim design is not found on any other guitar to my knowledge, excluding the Gibson Explorer Pro which I can't find even on Ebay. The Gibson Explorer looks just like my old First Act I gave up so long ago- Black finish with a white pickguard. I know looks has nothing to do with how a guitar plays, and it shouldn't be a factor when deciding a new axe, but for me the Futura looks incredible and sounds stunning (quite possibly the best metal guitar I've ever heard).
Quote by MetalMike676
Gibson > Epiphone...no contest (flame shield on)

Agree with that, but Epiphones are pretty good for their price range, but can't ever be compared to a Gibson.

OT- I played an Explorer (can't remember if it was a Gibson or an Epiphone) at my local Guitar Center back in late '08/early '09. It felt really great to play and was quite comfortable. I liked it.
Skip the username, call me Billy
When I had my Explorer I didn't use it so much for lead, but much more rhythm.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Too many differing opinions. Go to a GC and find out if you like it. Just remember the main points listed here, they're bulky and are best standing up, so if you don't like either of those, rule it out.
There is no reason for you to upgrade your guitar. You've fallen in love with your Futura, so getting a new guitar is the absolute last thing you want to do, regardless of what's on the headstock.

You mentioned that you wanted to know if the Gibson "sounded better". I'd say that if you're looking for a better sound, then you should be looking at amps, and not guitars.

The Futura has EMG's anyway, so it's already a completely different beast than any standard Gibson.

So I have to ask now: What more do you want out of your sound, and what amp do you have now?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X