Page 1 of 2
I bought a fat stratocaster because I liked the humbucker on the bridge to play some distortion stuff, but I realized after playing a bit, guns and roses sounds better on neck, and Nirvana's heavy distortion stuff sounds nice and dark on neck pickup as well.

Distortion and the light sound on the bridge just doesn't sound very good together IMO, does anyone have any bands or songs that uses the bridge humbucker? or any other use for it?
Practically any rhythm sound using distorted humbuckers is the bridge pickup. Listen to any AC/DC and any distorted GNR rhythms.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I only use the neck for leads..

both neck and bridge for clean sometimes.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Generally bridge = rhythm and neck = leads, which is why you're finding GNR sounds better on the neck - most of Slash's cool licks are lead fills using the neck.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Well, pretty much every rock/metal band ever uses humbuckers.

There's literally too many to name.
^ Massive fail right there. Utterly massive.

P90s

The Beatles
John Fogerty (CCR)
Pete Townshend (The Who)
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
Robby Krieger (The Doors)
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
Tom Scholz (Boston)
Mike Campbell (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
Jeff Lynne (Electric Light Orchestra)
Leslie West (Mountain)
Neil Young
Brian May (Queen)

Fender-style Single Coils

Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
Eric Johnson
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton (Cream, Derek and the Dominos, solo career)
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)
Jimmy Page (most of Led Zeppelin’s studio work was a telecaster)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Pete Townshend (again)
Randy Bachman (BTO and the Guess Who)
Jeff Beck
Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple)
The Edge (U2)
John Frusciante (RHCP)
Buddy Holly
Alex Lifeson (Rush)
Robbie Robertson (The Band)
James Young (Styx)

To name a few.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 4, 2010,
Tweak your EQ. Boost up your bass and mids. You'll get there.
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
Alot of punk bands use the bridge humbucker exclusively. I find that I like the thinner more defined bridge humbucker sound on my prs singlecut se for punk and metal where as I like to use the neck for classic rock and blues. The bridge also picks up harmonics better imo.
I only use my bridge pickup..well...95% of the time I do.

(your problem is that you probably don't own a tube amp)
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by bubb_tubbs

P90s

The Beatles
John Fogerty (CCR)
Pete Townshend (The Who)
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
Robby Krieger (The Doors) Played an SG with PAF's iirc
Tom Scholz (Boston) (only for part of the first album. other than that it's a DM SD)
Mike Campbell (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) normally played an LP deluxe with mini HB's
Jeff Lynne (Electric Light Orchestra) also known for LP's with PAFs iirc
Leslie West (Mountain)
Neil Young
Brian May (Queen)

Eric Johnson
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton (Cream, Derek and the Dominos, solo career) True, but you have to remember that the tone frmo EC everyone seems to love is an LP
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) LP guy most of the time
Jimmy Page (most of Led Zeppelin’s studio work was a telecaster) the tone everyone loves is his LP and marshall though...
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Pete Townshend (again)
Jeff Beck
The Edge (U2) no one cares
John Frusciante (RHCP)
Buddy Holly
Alex Lifeson (Rush) He's a Les Paul guy now days
James Young (Styx) I'm 90% sure he has a cool rails in his strat. could be wrong though. it's definitley a humbucker of some sort though

To name a few.

still a good list. just felt like picking it apar
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Aug 4, 2010,
I use the neck pickup for alot of rhythm stuff, to get a particular sound, it isn't what you'd call a normal rhythm sound though, not at all.

It's probably a lot to do with your amp.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Bostonrocks

Hairsplitter. Shouldn't you be out prostituting yourself that that R7?

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Hairsplitter. Shouldn't you be out prostituting yourself that that R7?

edited that post with some more "hairsplitting"

also. i tried. I'm to ugly . I think selling coke or weed will be easier.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks

Here's something you missed:

Brian may's guitar has Burns Tri-Sonic pickups, not P-90s

still single coil though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I almost exclusively use the neck pickup. I hardly touch the bridge.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
The bridge pickup has a lot more clarity, and you can hear more pick attack. The neck up does have a lot more bass, but you're losing clarity and pick attack, which is why its usually not used for rhythm. You can add bass on your amp, but you can't add clarity.
Quote by Bostonrocks

Plus
David Gilmour is more famous for single coils.
Eric Clapton is more known for single coils but his ultimate tone was the Beano album (that's not an opinion, it's fact, deal with it ) which was humbuckers.

Also TS, what amp are you using?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 5, 2010,
Forgot Tom Morello too, his Tele tone is awesome. Plus Arm The Homeless has single coils under EMG covers too.
Okay well some of you are saying solos are better on bridge and some say it sounds better on neck.

What I really want to know is what do you guys think gilmour uses for Comfortably numb solo? I think the numb solo sounds nice on the darker neck tone, but some of you guys are saying bridge is more clear which is better for solo? any suggestions?

(again my bridge is a humbucker and I heard gilmour uses single coils)
Last edited by flames649 at Aug 5, 2010,
I use bridge humbucker for rhythm or certain lead parts that need a rough tone, neck exclusively for smooth solos and clean playing.
Quote by Arterial
I use bridge humbucker for rhythm or certain lead parts that need a rough tone, neck exclusively for smooth solos and clean playing.

Me too...
Quote by flames649
Okay well some of you are saying solos are better on bridge and some say it sounds better on neck.

What I really want to know is what do you guys think gilmour uses for Comfortably numb solo? I think the numb solo sounds nice on the darker neck tone, but some of you guys are saying bridge is more clear which is better for solo? any suggestions?

(again my bridge is a humbucker and I heard gilmour uses single coils)

I'm pretty sure it's middle + bridge for Comfortably Numb's second solo. If you watch him play it live, he switches to the bridge when he plays it sometimes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^ Bit of a different situation for Strat stuff, since it has blending and a whole extra pickup.

I use my bridge for Rhythm, because I find a higher output bridge pickup suits rhythm better then lead work, to be able to chunk out the power chords, but still try and remain clarity, I don't like people who shred to give bridge pickups demo's, because it just feels like it defeating the purpose of how things sound, well, how I like it. I never found the neck to be tight enough for rhythm, and a tight low end on a neck pup would just be strange, IMO, and single coil cleans ftw.

EDIT: What Arterial said
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by bubb_tubbs

P90s

The Beatles
John Fogerty (CCR)
Pete Townshend (The Who)
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) Not for that long. He had high output custom made pickups fairly quickly
Robby Krieger (The Doors)
Tom Scholz (Boston) Mainly DiMarzio Super Distortions than P90's although he has a P90 in the neck postion of one of his guitars
Mike Campbell (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
Jeff Lynne (Electric Light Orchestra)
Leslie West (Mountain)
Neil Young
Brian May (Queen)

Eric Johnson
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton ((Cream <What??? He used a Tele with Blind Faith and then used Strats for Derek and the Dominos onwards), Derek and the Dominos, solo career)
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) Never heard of a Les Paul called Pearly Gates, it was his main studio guiitar and has been used on every ZZ Top album
Jimmy Page (most of Led Zeppelin’s studio work was a telecaster) Most of it was a Les Paul and bits were Tele. The first album was all Tele but after that it was mainly Les Paul. Most of his studio work in the 60's was a Les Paul Custom with 3 Pick-ups
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Pete Townshend (again)
Jeff Beck
The Edge (U2)
John Frusciante (RHCP)
Buddy Holly
Alex Lifeson (Rush)
James Young (Styx)

To name a few.

Sorry about ripping bits of your list up but it was annoying me.
What comes to mind when I hear bridge pickup...

I think aggressive midrange bite, sharpened tone with a tighter low end...
Hmm.. what genre of music uses this... Oh, thats right, metal!!
lol

I never solo with my bridge pickup, it sounds too harsh through my 5150II.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by digman50
Sorry about ripping bits of your list up but it was annoying me.

So you've just taken one famous guitar from their entire lineup and use it to characterize their entire career.

Excellent.

The point was that they've used them for noteworthy pieces.

And I think you'll find that a lot of them used humbuckers live simply because they needed enough volume to play stadium rock and single coils/p90s had horrible noise issues at those levels. It had very little to do with ideal tone.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 12, 2010,
Pete Townshend played pretty much every guitar under the sun....he favours Strats now but he's recorded and gigged with Telecasters, Rickenbackers, SGs and Les Pauls.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ Exactly my point.

Lots of classic rock artists have used single coils for famous songs. Just because you think it's one particular sound doesn't mean it pigeonholes you into having to use that guitar or those pickups.

What I do is:

Bridge: Basically almost all my rythm tones, more piercing sounding leads, leads involving a wah-pedal, twangier cleans

Bridge + Neck: Cleans, sometimes very low gain stuff

Neck: Mellow leads, "jazzy" cleans, sometimes for very low gain stuff
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Use of the bridge pickup? try getting good, clean harmonics from your neck pickup, pinch or natural.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
it depends where i`m playing on the neck as to which pickup i select, generally if i`m playing between frets 1-10 i`ll select the bridge if i`m going 10-12 i`ll switch to the neck but prefer the to do alot of the rhythm playing on the bridge if using any high gain, or cleaner stuff i use position 2 on a hsh guitar
Quote by flames649
I bought a fat stratocaster because I liked the humbucker on the bridge to play some distortion stuff, but I realized after playing a bit, guns and roses sounds better on neck, and Nirvana's heavy distortion stuff sounds nice and dark on neck pickup as well.

Distortion and the light sound on the bridge just doesn't sound very good together IMO, does anyone have any bands or songs that uses the bridge humbucker? or any other use for it?

Have you tried playing Guns and Roses rhythms on the neck pickup? It would sound like this humming and indecipherable mush of gain. Most of Welcome to the Jungle is on the bridge pickup, if not all of it. Also, you can't tell me that Smells Like Teen Spirit wasn't played on the bridge pickup. Most bridge pickup stuff I can think of is just rock with the higher amounts of crunch (no room to name all of them). Although, some of the higher gain solos are done on the neck pickup for the deep and singing tone.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
Have you tried playing Guns and Roses rhythms on the neck pickup? It would sound like this humming and indecipherable mush of gain. Most of Welcome to the Jungle is on the bridge pickup, if not all of it. Also, you can't tell me that Smells Like Teen Spirit wasn't played on the bridge pickup. Most bridge pickup stuff I can think of is just rock with the higher amounts of crunch (no room to name all of them). Although, some of the higher gain solos are done on the neck pickup for the deep and singing tone.

+1

For example OP, "out ta get me" by GNR, intro is definitely bridge pickup, with treble boosted on the amp, giving a raw, edgey distorted tone that cuts through the mix, and the intro solo for "since I don't have you" is done on the neck pickup with a soft, bluesy tone that sounds more rounded off than edgey and raw....

..Best way I could think to describe it using GNR as an example.

Edit

Also, if it sounds better with you on your own at low volumes then cool, but take that into a band mix at high volumes and your neck pickup simply wont cut through the mix for high gain stuff like GNR. It'll sound like undefined mush.
Last edited by dandadog at Aug 12, 2010,
Page 1 of 2