i just bought a used 6505 plus that seemed to be in good working condition. my friend and i were boozed up one saturday afternoon and decided to crank it up to 5 or 6 on the lead channel. now it seems as it s not pushing full power, i need to crank to 10 just to get semi loud volume thru my 4x12. all tubes including the pre s are glowing orange-yellow. i m not a rocket scientist when it comes to tube amps, but i have been reading about some the basics and what-to and what-not-to-do's of tube amps. any help would be appreciated.
Go get it serviced. If you keep playing you could ruin some components and then have to replace more parts.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
You should be able to crank to 10 for hrs without damage (to the amp, not your ears), probably had oldish tubes when you bought it, this is when people usually sell them instead of replacing tubes then selling them.
And by combining the first 2 responses: have a guitar tech change the old tubes for you.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Any reason he couldn't change the tubes himself? Just wondering
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
Any reason he couldn't change the tubes himself? Just wondering

He should still take it to a tech, the tubes might be fine and something else could be causing the problem
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
It's not like he can do any real damage to the amp by changing the tubes himself.

Preamp tubes don't need to be biased, and a 6505 is a fixed fixed-bias amp. A tech can't adjust the bias any way. And Peaveys are biased a fair bit cold, so tubes will be saf.e

He just needs to order some quality tubes online, and he'll be set.

I say Svetlana 6L6GC's and Tung Sol 12AX7s.
yea i was just thinking he could change the tubes himself, if theres still a problem then take it to a tech. Just my .02.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's not like he can do any real damage to the amp by changing the tubes himself.

Preamp tubes don't need to be biased, and a 6505 is a fixed fixed-bias amp. A tech can't adjust the bias any way. And Peaveys are biased a fair bit cold, so tubes will be saf.e

He just needs to order some quality tubes online, and he'll be set.

I say Svetlana 6L6GC's and Tung Sol 12AX7s.

The 6505+ has a bias pot, actually, but it doesn't have too much range...

I'd still recommend taking it to a tech, although it sounds to me like your tubes are just dying.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
eurotubes has sets of tubes for the 6505 that don't require rebiasing, thats what i did.
Guitars
Amps
i was also told to replace the resistor for the bias pot with a 6.8k for a broader sweep out of the pot itself. my question is if you bias the tubes on the hot side, will they have a tendency to fail quicker? also, being biased hotter, will that give me an overall better sound?
Last edited by corpse1980 at Aug 4, 2010,
it depends on what you're looking for. biasing the tubes hotter will make them fail quicker.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer