Eddie's Twister - 1927

This guy, Eddie Lang, was one of the first 'lead' guitar players, even directly after him guitar went back to being a rhythm instrument (largely for volume purposes) for a few years. He was also so far ahead of his time in other techniques, in arpeggiating chords and accompanying a singer, basically single handedly taking a full big band's harmony onto a single instrument.

Lang accompanying Bing Crosby
Nice find.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Eddie Lang...

Johnny Lang....

Sargent Dick.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
Eddie Lang...

Johnny Lang....

Sargent Dick.

lol wtf.

OT: thats pretty interesting. i honestly thought lead guitar and soloing were around for much longer
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by Pencil Man
Eddie Lang...

Johnny Lang....

Sargent Dick.

This post is funny even though i don't actually understand it. maybe even more so because i don't understand it

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Pencil Man
Eddie Lang...

Johnny Lang....

Sargent Dick.

My mom listens to Johnny Lang...
Man, that would have been the shred of the 20s, hahaha.

Good stuff, but not just technique-wise, it's actually musically interesting.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
The sargent dick thing was a misquote of Wayne's World when he says:

"Dick Sargent....Dick York... Sargent York."

I guess refering to the Darens of Bewitched, as he refers to them again in the movie.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Bitch stole some of mah licks...

...66 years before I was born.

Edit: 2:28 that's awesome.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Aug 4, 2010,
Theres another guy, a delta blues man i'm trying to remember the name of who did some good lead guitar at around this time but i really can't get the name now

anyway, there's also this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7bs4mTUY

Shredz

i still can't get over that run at about 2:53 or so
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Aug 5, 2010,
Its kind of interesting with Django as he didn't actually listen to or pick up jazz until about 1929, where he quit the banjo (thats right, Django played the banjo) and he started on jazz after hearing guys like Louis Armstrong.

Then, on the topic of cool recordings were those of one of one of the first electric guitarists, Charlie Christian. Some of his stuff blows my mind today, 70 years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXV7AvS_DzU

A 1940 recording.
Quote by guylee
That's pretty cool.

WHOA WAIT HE'S WHITE!?

That's what I thought as well
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by TimmyPage06
Eddie's Twister - 1927

This guy, Eddie Lang, was one of the first 'lead' guitar players, even directly after him guitar went back to being a rhythm instrument (largely for volume purposes) for a few years. He was also so far ahead of his time in other techniques, in arpeggiating chords and accompanying a singer, basically single handedly taking a full big band's harmony onto a single instrument.

He's definitely the originator of what we know as Jazz guitar and important in the development of the guitar as a lead instrument in a jazz band setting, but accompanying the singer had been a role that the guitar had taken long before even the twentieth century. That being said, he was a great player and we probably wouldn't have the likes of Charlie Christian OR Reinhardt without him.

As for the guy who compared Lang to Steve Vai, you are a goddamn moron.
I'll play it and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis
Last edited by FlyinHigh26 at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by TimmyPage06
Eddie's Twister - 1927

Oh, hello there. It's 1928, I do believe this is within "A few years".

Yes Eddie came first, but saying that it was years after Eddie that guitar returned to the spotlight is a bit of an exaggeration.

Nevertheless though, good to see one fo the first guitar instrumentalists getting recognition.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by Zoot Allures
Theres another guy, a delta blues man i'm trying to remember the name of who did some good lead guitar at around this time but i really can't get the name now

anyway, there's also this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7bs4mTUY

Shredz

i still can't get over that run at about 2:53 or so

Robert Johnson? You better know who Robert Johnson is goddammit!
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
Quote by FlyinHigh26
He's definitely the originator of what we know as Jazz guitar and important in the development of the guitar as a lead instrument in a jazz band setting, but accompanying the singer had been a role that the guitar had taken long before even the twentieth century. That being said, he was a great player and we probably wouldn't have the likes of Charlie Christian OR Reinhardt without him.

As for the guy who compared Lang to Steve Vai, you are a goddamn moron.

He just said that Lang was like the Steve Vai of the 1920's...hows that stupid?
Last edited by schecter ftw at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by Pencil Man
Eddie Lang...

Johnny Lang....

Sargent Dick.

Dick York
Dick Sargent
Sergeant York
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by SubjectNameHere
Robert Johnson? You better know who Robert Johnson is goddammit!

Nah, robert johnson did a lot of lead too but i'm thinking of someone else, :/ can't remember the name. I remember he did mostly instrumental kind of ragtime music.