Page 1 of 2
Looking for a bridge pickup for a friend.

Guitar has a mahogany body, maple neck, ebony fretboard.

He's looking for a crisp tone, with a nice aggressive bite from the upper midrange. Clarity is extremely important. It needs to have a thick rhythm tone as well, of course.

So far, I'm considering the Bill Lawrence L500-XL. Going for the Bill & Becky version.

What I do not want in the guitar for him...
No actives. No super high output unless you have a good reason.
Not looking for a boutique pickup like BKP - don't feel like breaking the bank.

His favorite bands?
As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Between the Buried And Me, etc...etc...

Any other ideas?
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 4, 2010,
Wasn't there a Dimarzio pickup that sounded like an EMG? The D-activator or something?

tbh i wouldn't bother getting him a pickup, just give him the money so he can collect enough for something real nice, he likes and probably super expensive.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

price range?
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
What's he running for an amp? Why would you say no high output pickups yet you want him to get an L500-XL? Metalcore requires high output pickups, why do you think every Metalcore band uses actives
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
What's he running for an amp? Why would you say no high output pickups yet you want him to get an L500-XL? Metalcore requires high output pickups, why do you think every Metalcore band uses actives

Dude, that is totally not true. I could start quite a list if I wanted.

I know nothing of metal pups John. good luck

Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Metalfan41

I'm saying no actives because the guitar has a very small control cavity, and I don't feel like routing a battery shelf!

Added a few of his favorite bands.
The d activators are nice, but the d activator x's have a bit more mid range, but are really high output (they can clean up with volume well though

is there any particular artist or song he or you would like the pups to be more like?

EX: he likes dream theater, the petrucci signature pups would work

EDIT: definitely go for the d activators, the d activator x, or the x2n

all are high out put but clean up pretty well and can all (especially the two d activator models) do lower timings with great clarity, the x2n is a little more balls to the wall but is less versatile
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Last edited by Metalmaker at Aug 4, 2010,
Well I know for a fact that at least 3 or those 5 bands use actives... so just familiarise yourself with the Dimarzio d-activator series if you can. I don't know how much they will cost though
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

I added some bands. He likes As I Lay Dying's newest album quite a bit, the new Between the Buried and Me, and the last release by All That Remains - Overcome.

Also, the L500-XL isn't that hot compared to many modern pickups. I say no uber high output because a lot of high output pickups are too dark, and can get a bit muddy. Clarity is key here.

EDIT: I don't know how much the D-Activator series measures up to actives. I think it's all hype.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Looking for a bridge pickup for a friend.

Guitar has a mahogany body, maple neck, ebony fretboard.

He's looking for a crisp tone, with a nice aggressive bite from the upper midrange. Clarity is extremely important. It needs to have a thick rhythm tone as well, of course.

So far, I'm considering the Bill Lawrence L500-XL. Going for the Bill & Becky version.

What I do not want in the guitar for him...
No actives. No super high output unless you have a good reason.
Not looking for a boutique pickup like BKP - don't feel like breaking the bank.

His favorite bands?
As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Between the Buried And Me, etc...etc...

Any other ideas?

after doing some research:

LoG uses JB's and Invaders in their guitars.

the rest use EMG 85's from what I know Except BTBAM
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by forsaknazrael
I added some bands. He likes As I Lay Dying's newest album quite a bit, the new Between the Buried and Me, and the last release by All That Remains - Overcome.

Also, the L500-XL isn't that hot compared to many modern pickups. I say no uber high output because a lot of high output pickups are too dark, and can get a bit muddy. Clarity is key here.

EDIT: I don't know how much the D-Activator series measures up to actives. I think it's all hype.

I've never used one but from what I hear there not exactly the same tone wise as an EMG (read: probably for the better) but they are a very nice sounding pickup in terms for clarity and attack in high gain
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

Quote by Guitar-KID125
I've never used one but from what I hear there not exactly the same tone wise as an EMG (read: probably for the better) but they are a very nice sounding pickup in terms for clarity and attack in high gain

+1
They dont sound the same as actives, but they are very good pickups for this sort of stuff.
i switched to seymour duncan JB/59 from EMG's and haven't looked back. The gain difference is barely noticeable and they sound much warmer and organic. I think i paid around 150 for the combo.
Guitars
Amps
Ones I suggest from DiMarzio:
Super Distortion <- I can get good As I Lay Dying tones with this one, wouldn't call it crisp though

Super 3 <- more mids, less bass, bit more clarity, middle ground of the Supers

Crunch Lab <- Petrucci's newest, good mid range growl, crisp, clarity, I'm putting one in my next guitar
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 4, 2010,
Consider Irongear. I have a Steam Hammer in my bridge (mahogany body, rosewood board, maple neck) and it sounds fantastic. Cleans up OK with a turn of the volume knob. Brutal sound with any decent amount of gain. Demo is here through a Bugera 6262. Sorry about my bad playing, I've improved a lot since I recorded that.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by Bostonrocks
after doing some research:

LoG uses JB's and Invaders in their guitars.

the rest use EMG 85's from what I know Except BTBAM

Morton uses '59s. TOTALLY different from invaders. Resistance of like 8k, as opposed to like 19 i think
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I always thought the Super Distortion was kinda fizzy and sizzly, and more suited for 80's metal stuff.

mine ain't just good heavy, decently flexible tones
It was designed for older high gain stuff but I can get good modern death/thrash/-core tones from it.

I'm really liking that Crunch Lab I also suggested. Lots of clarity and an awesome mid-range growl.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by wyldeshredder
Morton uses '59s. TOTALLY different from invaders. Resistance of like 8k, as opposed to like 19 i think

He did have Invadors in the bridge actually, but niw he uses Dimarzios in most of his live guitars. All the new ones Jackson sends him have them, don't remember which ones though

Still, he needs to have a good amp before worrying about pickups, I learned that the hard way
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Aug 4, 2010,
Dimarzio Steve's Special is a real nice clear ballsy pup
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I pefer the D-Sonic.

Would like to replace it with my Super III, but we'll see.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
i'm sure he could probably find a used EMG 81 on ebay in his price range
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by handbanana
i'm sure he could probably find a used EMG 81 on ebay in his price range

Did you read the OP?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
DiMarzio D-Activator or DiMarzio Crunch Lab imo.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
best title ever

i haven't tried BLs... based on what I've heard they're probably worth considering (though I think i read somewhere that they're not mental hot, so that's worth bearing in mind).

duncan distortion would probably work (though I'm guessing you could do better too).

when you say "no boutique" do you mean based on price, or based on the wait involved? Far as I know there are some handwinders under budget (high order, BG and the like), but I haven't tried them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mmolteratx
Did you read the OP?

The OP is stupid. He wants modern metal tones like bands that almost all use EMG's, but he doesn't want EMG's. It's ridiculous.

You can easily get 2 EMG's on ebay for around $100. Literally everything you described wanting in your sound are characteristics of EMG's. I think demanding not to use them is a really stupid decision.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The OP is stupid. He wants modern metal tones like bands that almost all use EMG's, but he doesn't want EMG's. It's ridiculous.

You can easily get 2 EMG's on ebay for around $100. Literally everything you described wanting in your sound are characteristics of EMG's. I think demanding not to use them is a really stupid decision.

Lots of people don't like EMGs. Also, reported for being an ass.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by Dave_Mc
best title ever

i haven't tried BLs... based on what I've heard they're probably worth considering (though I think i read somewhere that they're not mental hot, so that's worth bearing in mind).

duncan distortion would probably work (though I'm guessing you could do better too).

when you say "no boutique" do you mean based on price, or based on the wait involved? Far as I know there are some handwinders under budget (high order, BG and the like), but I haven't tried them.

wait AND price. His bday is coming up pretty soon. Like 2 weeks or something.
I'll check out the lower priced boutique, forgot about some of them.

Quote by Offworld92

your face is stupid.

I explained WHY I don't want EMGs, if you read the thread at all.
Additionally, I'll only be getting a bridge pickup right now. The guitar does not have independent controls, so it wouldn't mix with the neck pickup's electronics well.
Plus I don't like the sound of 85s. If it were me, and I actually wanted actives, I would get an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck.
ah ok. just check there isn't a wait on those lawrences too, then. I'm not sure, but there might be (or then again there might not if they sell enough of them).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i thought they might run it like that. that'd be ok then.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My experience with the JB is that is can be a little harsh on the high end, the guitar I have it in is a Mahagony body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I'd stay away from it as Ebony fretboards are quite a bit brighter than rosewood and if I have harsh tone now the ebony would make it worse.

X2N is pretty good for the guitar you are talking about it sounds like. I hated the D-activator in the exact same type of guitar you are talking about. It was pretty flubby when it came to drop tuning.

Go for the X2N, probably the best pickup for that guitar as far as metal goes and budget.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X