Page 1 of 2
HI, i dont know which amp is better for my style of music.
I like a fat humbucker sound, have an epiphone les paul and a tube screamer ts 10.
I play Oasis, Jet, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Beatles, Stones, Mando Diao, Queens of the stone age...

Oasis: Gem Vox ac 30, Noel Fender Blues Junior
Jet; Vox ac 30 heritage
Arctic Monkeys: Vox, Fender
Kasabian: ac 30 heritage
beatles: ac 30
stones: vox, fender
mando diao: vox
QOTSA: ac 15
led zeppelin: Vox
coldplay: fender
them crooked vultures: fender
the doors: fender
who: vox
neil young: ???
strokes: ???
stone roses: fender
Kings o. L.: vox and i think fender
u2: vox
radiohead: vox

So which amp would you suggest?
And is the ts 10 any good? Or should i buy a ts 808 or ts 9?
please help!!!
i've always liked the sound of vox amps with some dirt, though i've never actually played one though. but the midsy crunch with the top end bite sounds fantastic to my ears. there's a canadian guy named matthew good, i've seen him twice and both he and his other guitarist ran through some kinda voxs and the guitar sound was superb both times
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Id go for a used Vox AC30. Nearly all the artists on their have probably used an AC30 at some point. Noel used to use an AC30 back in the day but switched to a blues junior like you said and I think hes also had a Fender Bassman

Also Arctic Monkeys used Orange amps in the early days so maybe have a look into them?
For a pedal the TS9 and TS-808 are the ones that will get you that nice raw british sound. I'm into all the same music as you like EXACTLY the same haha and when I decide to upgrade I'm going for a vox and a TS9
My opinion... play them both and decide which you like better. Personally I like Vox more.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Vox+plus pedals (if done right) is Godly. My favorite tones at a performance (not high gain) is always some sort of Vox AC30 kind of amp.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I have no clue where you got your info from, but most of it is wrong.

Quote by Liam gallagher8

On the first couple albums, Alex used Orange amps
Quote by Liam gallagher8

They used so many different amps in the studio you can't really say that they have a Vox sound

Quote by Liam gallagher8

Josh uses an AC30, not 15 some of the time. He primarily uses Ampeg amps.

Quote by Liam gallagher8

Absolutely not. Page did record with Vox sometimes, but if you want a Page sound, you want a Marshall.

An AC30 will probably be your best bet for covering all of these styles, though. It would be tough to push the Fender to heavier sounds.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
I didn't bother correcting since it was such a cluster****.

but Page used an old Supro, we're not sure which. He isn't even sure.
but live he used Marshalls.

Haha it bothered me too much, so I had to. It just seemed that he wrote down Fender and Vox next to every band to justify only looking at these two amps.

My corrections were pretty vague, though. You're absolutely right about Page. He recorded on so many different amps on the Zeppelin albums, and really favoured the Supro. But to me the one amp that really "captures" the Zep sound is an old Marshall, like a Plexi or a Major.

I really liked the Orange recommendation someone gave earlier in the thread. Orange amps are typically higher gain than Fender and Vox, but still have incredible cleans. I don't know why you're limiting yourself to just those two choices.

If you can't decide between these two amps, check out the Egnater Tweaker. It'll get you Vox and Fender tones, as well as Marshall tones. Not sure about how loud of an amp you need, but 15W tube can be pretty loud. Headroom might be an issue though; the cleans will probably break up in a band situation. I haven't cranked mine to that point yet. Still waiting for the store to ship me some new EL34s.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep

I really liked the Orange recommendation someone gave earlier in the thread. Orange amps are typically higher gain than Fender and Vox, but still have incredible cleans. I don't know why you're limiting yourself to just those two choices.

Yerr that was me. I had to correct him on the Arctic Monkeys one because their my favourite band. I know Alex has used both Vox AC30 and Orange amps on the first two albums and I'm guessing thats the sort of sound hes wanting to go for.

Also the Kaiser Chiefs use Orange amps (Yerr I know they're not the greatest thing ever but who cares hahaa)

I'd say you should be looking into Orange and Vox amps and then only the Blues Junior if your thinking a Fender (that's my recommendation anyways)
So, i only wrote those 2 amps.
I know that noel used jcm 900, orange od...
Arctic Monkeys: Orange AD, Hiwatt...
Page: Marshall Orange.......

Really? Josh homme uses AC 30?
I didnt mean josh, i did mean the 2nd guitarist of Qotsa, he used ac 15.

And about the rocker 30, first i thought to buy a rocker 30
or
an ac 30, but nearly all my fav bands played with an ac 30 and Monkeys, led zep and oasis are the only orange users.
And all my bands get their overdrive from pedals (ts9, rat...)
So I decided to go for a 1 channel amp, set it clean and use an od pedal to get crunchy sounds.
I get much more sounds in this way and can buy another pedal if i dont like the sound anymore, the orange has this ONE od sound, which is surely great, but it has just one and doesnt take pedals as well as the vox or the fender do.
I always thought that fender sound shit overdriven, but then i heard the oasis dvd (edge of the noise) and noels blues juniot sounded great, but i think he runs it through hot plades to get an output tube overdrive.
And the Vox just looks GREAT.
Sorry for my mad english, i'm from austria and 14 years old.
Led Zep isn't really an Orange user...

We just told you, Jimmy Page used a lot of things. From a Supro in the studio, to a multitude of amps on stage. Fender Super Reverbs, Hiwatts, Univox, an Orange OR200, a Marshall 1959SLP....it goes on and on.

You need to focus on the tone, and not the brand.

Who said the Orange doesn't take pedals well?
I read it very often that they dont.

So, another question, the "famous" Vox ac 30 crunch sound, does it come from pedals or amp.
I ask this, because the normal vox ac (not top boost) must be veeeeery loud to crunch.
Quote by Liam gallagher8

Really? Josh homme uses AC 30?

Did you not read what I wrote? He uses Ampeg primarily, but will on occasion use an AC.
Quote by Liam gallagher8

And all my bands get their overdrive from pedals (ts9, rat...)

Yea, I heard Jimmy Page uses a TubeScreamer

This is where you really sound dumb:
Quote by Liam gallagher8

So I decided to go for a 1 channel amp, set it clean and use an od pedal to get crunchy sounds.
the orange has this ONE od sound, which is surely great, but it has just one
I always thought that fender sound shit overdriven

So you're not going to use the amp's distortion, but you make arguments against both amps' distortions as points for not buying them?
Quote by Liam gallagher8
So, another question, the "famous" Vox ac 30 crunch sound, does it come from pedals or amp.
I ask this, because the normal vox ac (not top boost) must be veeeeery loud to crunch.

I don't think that Vox ACs are famous for their crunch. They're more famous for their chimey cleans. And how could a Vox crunch come from a pedal? That's just ridiculous.
Quote by Liam gallagher8

Ah, now it all makes sense. Most 14 year olds have mad english and buy amps only for the brand name.
If you're from Austria I highly recommend you check out Arnold Amps. Their Governator amp has a very muscular sound, and the distortion channel sounds like it's on steroids. And when you roll your guitar's volume down, the distortion becomes Erased. I've only been able to play through one once, but I was so pumped up after. It was like I was coming all the time.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by Liam gallagher8

Omar Rodriguez Lopez of the Mars Volta would argue with you. He uses Orange, and probbly a bazillion million pedals. Sounds fine to me.
Ok, i really wrote much nonsense in my past posts^^

I Don't play clean often.The new ac 30s have mastervolume, so i can play them overdriven without a pedal, with my TS i boost it for Solos.

An OD Pedal doesnt sound the same on different amps, A TS for example doesnt not sound the same on a vox or on a fender, orange or a transistor amp, does it.
I want to Get a sound like JET. Live they use a Marshall 1974x, which is too expensive for me, and a Vox AC 30'Heritage, also too expensive. I also like the sound on the "standing on the edge of noise" oasis dvd, Noel plays a Fender Blues Junior, I think he use hotplates to use the fenders outputtube OD.
Last edited by Liam gallagher8 at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by Liam gallagher8
Ok, i really wrote much nonsense in my past posts^^

I Don't play clean often.The new ac 30s have mastervolume, so i can play them overdriven without a pedal, with my TS i boost it for Solos.

An OD Pedal doesnt sound the same on different amps, A TS for example doesnt not sound the same on a vox or on a fender, orange or a transistor amp, does it.
I want to Get a sound like JET. Live they use a Marshall 1974x, which is too expensive for me, and a Vox AC 30'Heritage, also too expensive. I also like the sound on the "standing on the edge of noise" oasis dvd, Noel plays a Fender Blues Junior, I think he use hotplates to use the fenders outputtube OD.

You're right. You did write a lot of nonsense. You've also created about 4 threads asking people which amp you should buy, and every time you argue with us. To be honest, at 14 you're not going to need amps as loud as the ones you're suggesting. Also, buying a Fender Blues Junior will not get you a Fender sound. They're powered by EL84s, not 6L6s. Small, lower-wattage tube amps will be fine for you. Plus, they're cheaper so you can actually afford them with your paper route. They'll have great tone, and you'll be able to play them without your parents grounding you. Here are some good ones to check out:

Vox Night Train (head)
Orange Tiny Terror or Dual Terror (Dual Terror is 2 channel, both are heads)
Egnater Tweaker (head or combo)
Fender Blues Junior (which you've already mentioned; combo)

All of these amps, with the exception of the Orange amps, should be around $500 or less. Keep in mind that if you choose one of the heads, you're still going to need to get a cab which will cost you at least another $150-$200. If none of these appeal to you, I suggest you provide the following information so we can give you a good recommendation:

Budget (we NEED this. You can't just throw a bunch of "which amps" at us without telling us how much you're willing to spend)
Styles (you already gave us a bunch of bands in every one of your 4 "which amp" threads)
Location (Austria, right?)
Features you want/don't want
New/used
Any other info you feel we should know
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by kezbob2k7
Id go for a used Vox AC30. Nearly all the artists on their have probably used an AC30 at some point. Noel used to use an AC30 back in the day but switched to a blues junior like you said and I think hes also had a Fender Bassman

Also Arctic Monkeys used Orange amps in the early days so maybe have a look into them?
For a pedal the TS9 and TS-808 are the ones that will get you that nice raw british sound. I'm into all the same music as you like EXACTLY the same haha and when I decide to upgrade I'm going for a vox and a TS9

Just putting this out there, the TS10 is the exact same circuit as the TS9. And they don't have a particularly 'raw British' sound.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have mentioned that my budget is 800-900€.
Austria is right.
Emm features: Don't need much features, 1 or 2 channels, maybe fx loop for a delay.
Ill go to vienna next week and play the AC 30, the tiny terror, they dont have the rocker anymore, and somemother amps.
And i know that the ac 30 is a ******* loud amp, but I play very loud

I think I want an ac 30 because so many bands i listen to use it.
And they use it set on clean, and boost it with a pedal, right?
Quote by Liam gallagher8
HI, i dont know which amp is better for my style of music.
I like a fat humbucker sound, have an epiphone les paul and a tube screamer ts 10.
I play Oasis, Jet, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Beatles, Stones, Mando Diao, Queens of the stone age...

Oasis: Gem Vox ac 30, Noel Fender Blues Junior
Jet; Vox ac 30 heritage
Kasabian: ac 30 heritage
stones: vox, fender
mando diao: vox
coldplay: fender
the doors: fender
who: vox
neil young: ???
strokes: ???
stone roses: fender
Kings o. L.: vox and i think fender
u2: vox
radiohead: vox

So which amp would you suggest?
And is the ts 10 any good? Or should i buy a ts 808 or ts 9?
please help!!!

AC30 vs what Fender? There are a lot of Fender amps haha. Personally, I would think that you could get more gain out of something like the Hot Rod Series, and at a much more ear pleasing volume level. My Vox doesn't start sounding really chunky until it's pretty much full out balls to the walls.

Mind you, the sound is really awesome, nothing like a cranked up Vox for your rock and roll needs.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Liam gallagher8
I have mentioned that my budget is 800-900€.
Austria is right.
Emm features: Don't need much features, 1 or 2 channels, maybe fx loop for a delay.
Ill go to vienna next week and play the AC 30, the tiny terror, they dont have the rocker anymore, and somemother amps.
And i know that the ac 30 is a ******* loud amp, but I play very loud

I think I want an ac 30 because so many bands i listen to use it.
And they use it set on clean, and boost it with a pedal, right?

You're right, it is loud. I think you're underestimating just how loud a 30W tube amp is. Why do you need such a loud amp? If you're just going to be practicing with it in your bedroom you're never going to be able to turn it up past 2. Tube amps typically sound their best when you push them to the point of breaking up the sound. You really don't need a 30W tube amp if you're not playing live gigs. Even a 15W tube amp is enough to get over a drummer for your styles of music. You'd be wasting your money on the AC30, especially if you get one without a master volume (you'd have to crank the volume all the way to get distortion, as opposed to the models with a gain knob as well). You should seriously consider some of the smaller wattage tube amps I suggested earlier.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
My amp now is a 40watt marshall tube amp, which im not happy anymore so im going to sell it.
I play live and at home, i could turn the master of the marshall to the half, and ill play with the vox in my cellar, so i can play louder.
I know that tube amps are pretty loud, once i playd a tiny terror set on 7watt through a 412 cab and couldn't turn it more than to half.
If i buy a vox, then it will be a c2, with master volume.
What model is your Marshall?

For the record, more speakers =/= louder. You're still pushing the same wattage out.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
What don't you like about it?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by mmolteratx
Just putting this out there, the TS10 is the exact same circuit as the TS9. And they don't have a particularly 'raw British' sound.

That's why I said "For a pedal the TS9 and TS-808 are the ones that will get you that nice raw british sound." I didn't say anything about the TS10 lol
Quote by Liam gallagher8

Don't they speak English in Australia? Shouldn't it be your first language?
Quote by Kcintlob
Don't they speak English in Australia? Shouldn't it be your first language?

He said Austria... not Australia hahahahaa
Quote by kezbob2k7
He said Austria... not Australia hahahahaa

My bad haha, I could've swore he said Australia. Austria makes more sense as an excuse for bad English.
The problem is, that i can't test the rocker anymore, and i don't want to buy an amp without testing. In Vienna i can test an AC 30 (c2), a Fender (Blues Junior), Orange tiny or Dual Terror, some Marshalls and Hiwatts if they haye them.
The Rocker 30 would be very interesting.
But with which of those amps could i get this sound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Q_o4yGoK4
Last edited by Liam gallagher8 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by kezbob2k7
That's why I said "For a pedal the TS9 and TS-808 are the ones that will get you that nice raw british sound." I didn't say anything about the TS10 lol

Is "they are the same circuit" too hard to comprehend?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Page 1 of 2