Now, I'm no newbie to tabs, don't get me wrong, for I've written several ones myself (mostly jazz stuff).
However, I was attempting to learn a Bob Dylan Song at this chord layout (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/bob_dylan/talkin_new_york_crd.htm) and have several questions about the author's notation.

1) What do the periods, such as "G . C . D . ." mean? I assumed it meant repeat the previous chord.

2) What do the slashes such as "/B" signify? I know G/C, for example, is a type of chord (yay AP Music Theory), but what would just /B mean?

3) The phrase "(. /E/D . )" means what? Why in parenthesis?
Quote by SuperCoolMan

1) What do the periods, such as "G . C . D . ." mean? I assumed it meant repeat the previous chord.

That sounds right.

Quote by SuperCoolMan

2) What do the slashes such as "/B" signify? I know G/C, for example, is a type of chord (yay AP Music Theory), but what would just /B mean?

From what I've seen of that tab, my instinct tells me it means to slide from the previous chord to the new chord (you'd have to use barre chords of course) or it could be a confusing way for the transcriber to perfectly place the chord over the lyrics...

Quote by SuperCoolMan

3) The phrase "(. /E/D . )" means what? Why in parenthesis?

I believe it's just to indicate that it's some sort of bridge or something, but I'm not certain, listening to the song and experimenting would probably solve this one. and it's probably in parenthesis to show it's not supposed to be played over the lyrics.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Aug 4, 2010,