Pretty much as the title says, I want to get into doing some vocal work, but I have no idea how to get started. I would like to learn how to sing in a thrash metal style (think James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, Tom Araya, Chuck Billy). Can any body give me any tips on how to get started, or link me some tutorials or something. I would love to get lessons, but I can't afford it at the minute, so I will have to teach myself.

Also, my voice when speaking is really quite low (in pitch, not volume), but music I will want to be singing with will be in standard tuning, and I'm not sure I will be able to push my voice high enough. Will it matter that much, and is there a way around it?
Quote by robhc
but I have no idea how to get started.
Just start singing. Sing along to your favorite songs.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by robhc

Also, my voice when speaking is really quite low (in pitch, not volume), but music I will want to be singing with will be in standard tuning, and I'm not sure I will be able to push my voice high enough. Will it matter that much, and is there a way around it?

The tuning of the instruments doesn't dictate the key of the song or the notes that the song uses. Identify your vocal range and start singing simple songs that are suited to your range.

There's a range thread up the top if you need some help finding your range.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud