So I'd like to get my computer to a point where I can do some home recording (for fun and whatever).

My computer has a 2.00Ghz processer and 504mb of RAM, along with a horrible sound card.

So it's not that great but...

If I get 2gb of ram for around $70
One of these sound cards $100 - M-Audio Audiophile 2496
and a cheapo bass DI $30 - Behringer BDI21

Do I get an ok system to be recording with? I'll have $220 pretty soon here and I figure why not? It's this or a PS3 and I can make demo cd's and stuff with friends and try to get noticed or just have fun recording stuff and messing around.

Sound like a plan?
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass
So I'd like to get my computer to a point where I can do some home recording (for fun and whatever).

My computer has a 2.00Ghz processer and 504mb of RAM, along with a horrible sound card.

So it's not that great but...

If I get 2gb of ram for around $70
One of these sound cards $100 - M-Audio Audiophile 2496
and a cheapo bass DI $30 - Behringer BDI21

Do I get an ok system to be recording with? I'll have $220 pretty soon here and I figure why not? It's this or a PS3 and I can make demo cd's and stuff with friends and try to get noticed or just have fun recording stuff and messing around.

Sound like a plan?

You're gonna need a bit more money if you can spring it in order to record at decent quality. I would suggest a Line 6 Toneport UX2 or if you can spring it a Digidesign M-Box, which comes with Pro Tools 7 LE. Though I wouldnt recomment the latter one since it doesnt have low latency monitoring, which is VERY important, which the Line 6 does have. A Tascam US-1641 would be VERY good for the type of recording you're trying to do. So if you can spring it, please do so. The soundcard is not important since the interface basically becomes your soundcard. What you need is processing power and memory. Try to upgrade to at least 2 gigs, and at least a 2.5ghz dualcore processor, 3 ghz if possible.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Last edited by RBM01991 at Aug 4, 2010,
for a recording system download reaper and get the free trial. Its full access and even though it says you have to pay after 30 days, you dont. plus its a great system
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Last edited by 100% at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by RBM01991
You're gonna need a bit more money if you can spring it in order to record at decent quality. I would suggest a Line 6 Toneport UX2 or if you can spring it a Digidesign M-Box, which comes with Pro Tools 7 LE. Though I wouldnt recomment the latter one since it doesnt have low latency monitoring, which is VERY important, which the Line 6 does have. A Tascam US-1641 would be VERY good for the type of recording you're trying to do. So if you can spring it, please do so. The soundcard is not important since the interface basically becomes your soundcard. What you need is processing power and memory. Try to upgrade to at least 2 gigs, and at least a 2.5ghz dualcore processor, 3 ghz if possible.

Ouch... I'm not going for good quality just ok quality. That's way over my budget and all that seems way over my head. I'm just looking for the cheapest way to record with a quality that is nice enough for you to say "Hey this isn't that bad".
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
a little extra RAM wouldn't hurt at all.

that, an M Audio Fast Track, and a mic and you're good to go.
Quote by sandyman323
a little extra RAM wouldn't hurt at all.

that, an M Audio Fast Track, and a mic and you're good to go.

And that's like a usb DI box? I don't know much about this stuff yet. I know I need some ram, but I don't know what's up with my soundcard or what kind of boxes or mixers I need.

EDIT: Also what about this - http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEH1204USB

It's a mixer but also says usb interface? So could this double as a mixer and my recording hardware?

Like this + Ram + software = ok music?
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Last edited by EBass at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by EBass
And that's like a usb DI box? I don't know much about this stuff yet. I know I need some ram, but I don't know what's up with my soundcard or what kind of boxes or mixers I need.

EDIT: Also what about this - http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEH1204USB

It's a mixer but also says usb interface? So could this double as a mixer and my recording hardware?

Like this + Ram + software = ok music?

Yeah, it is a USB Di box, i'm not sure if it doubles up as an external soundcard though. i've got the M Audio Fast Track Pro (the one up from that) and it reduces my latency alot from my computer's built in soundcard.

Basically if you're going to get an external soundcard/interface (which i highly recommend!) theres no point in getting an internal one.

i wouldn't buy that mixer unless you're planning on mic'ing up a drumkit, go with the Fast Track if it doubles up as a soundcard (which i think it does). Or even the Fast Track Pro.

Yeah, from what i've heard the processor works how many tracks you can record at once and the RAM is how many VST plugins you can use at the same time. My laptop has 2GB of RAM and it just about copes with Superior Drummer and 2 Copies of Amplitube running at the same time. So i'd invest in at least 4GB of RAM, but the more the better.

Also a good mic to invest in would be the Rode NT1A, which i've heard good things about, and you get a stand, XLR cable and Pop Shield free. Nice and cheap too!
to do anything decent you'll need a better computer.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Afroboy267
Yeah, it is a USB Di box, i'm not sure if it doubles up as an external soundcard though. i've got the M Audio Fast Track Pro (the one up from that) and it reduces my latency alot from my computer's built in soundcard.

Basically if you're going to get an external soundcard/interface (which i highly recommend!) theres no point in getting an internal one.

i wouldn't buy that mixer unless you're planning on mic'ing up a drumkit, go with the Fast Track if it doubles up as a soundcard (which i think it does). Or even the Fast Track Pro.

Yeah, from what i've heard the processor works how many tracks you can record at once and the RAM is how many VST plugins you can use at the same time. My laptop has 2GB of RAM and it just about copes with Superior Drummer and 2 Copies of Amplitube running at the same time. So i'd invest in at least 4GB of RAM, but the more the better.

Also a good mic to invest in would be the Rode NT1A, which i've heard good things about, and you get a stand, XLR cable and Pop Shield free. Nice and cheap too!

Alright I'll go ahead and look for something like that if I can't find anything better or cheaper than a Fast Track then I'll get that.

Probably wont be mic'ing up drums. And I don't know how much money I'll have to invest into a mic after I buy ram/the DI box. I have a really shitty $5 one that I bought for my niece (who is also 5) can sing wile I play bass. Would that work if I can't find anything better? or do I need a specific kind of mic?

Also, thanks for all the help

EDIT: Actually, there might be some mic'ing up drums going on, If I got that mixer, got an ok $50 soundcard, and bought as much ram as I could do you think the sound card could handle the sounds?

If we mic up drums we'll worry about mics when it comes to that and every one can pitch in but this is mostly for my personal stuff + friends stuff if they want to record stuff.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Last edited by EBass at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by EBass
Alright I'll go ahead and look for something like that if I can't find anything better or cheaper than a Fast Track then I'll get that.

Probably wont be mic'ing up drums. And I don't know how much money I'll have to invest into a mic after I buy ram/the DI box. I have a really shitty $5 one that I bought for my niece (who is also 5) can sing wile I play bass. Would that work if I can't find anything better? or do I need a specific kind of mic?

Also, thanks for all the help

EDIT: Actually, there might be some mic'ing up drums going on, If I got that mixer, got an ok $50 soundcard, and bought as much ram as I could do you think the sound card could handle the sounds?

If we mic up drums we'll worry about mics when it comes to that and every one can pitch in but this is mostly for my personal stuff + friends stuff if they want to record stuff.

if the mixer doubles up as an external soundcard (which it probably does) then you won't need a decent internal soundcard as the mixer will be taking care of all that.
I own the 2496 sound card and although it's a great unit, it requires preamps to run and only has unblanced inputs/outputs.

Interface:
I would go with one of the Toneports.

RAM:
$70 for 2GB?!?!?!
That's crazy, assuming you have 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM in there already, you can get a set of 1GB sticks for around $40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146526
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 5, 2010,