Page 1 of 2
this is something that has made me feel somewhat odd.

Sometimes I sort of assimilate peoples ways of expressing themselves when talking to them. Things such as using certain words, pronouncing words in a certain way, and even body language to a certain extent.

Also, I do this when I'm around all sorts of different people. From people I know very well, to acquaintances.

Is this normal?

Is this characteristic of anxiety or other mental illness?
Yeah, I do. I don't know why, and I wish it would stop because I feel ultra-lame whenever I do it.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Only if they have tourettes.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I do this to an extent as well.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
I sometimes find myself using the mannerisms of someone I don't speak to anymore.

it's less embarrassing than when you actually interact with the person.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Aug 4, 2010,
Yeah, it's a human thing that we've evolved with. Probably because other people like to see themselves in other people and when they do, they like that person more ect.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I do it and I have noticed that most if not all of my friends do... so it can't be all that abnormal.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
I was just thinking about this last night. I always seem to catch myself doing it unconsciously and then try to stop it. I feel like whoever I'm talking to thinks I'm mocking them.

Most recently I noticed while I was talking to a family friend last night. He's from England and has been here for many years but still has his accent. I was talking to him on the phone and started to mimic his accent and use expressions he normally uses. I caught myself but I don't know if he noticed.
Not unless I am trying to annoy them.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
My laugh starts to change if I hang around the same people for long enough.

Also, a few months back I watched A LOT of top gear. One day I was walking along with my friend and all of a sudden, I had a british accent for half a sentence (I'm canadian).

WEIRDDD.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I think it's a natural human thing. I remember watching something on Discovery Channel comparing human to ape learning. They had an ape (I believe it was a chimp) solve some puzzle and had another chimp watch. They repeated the process several times and found that the chimps were unable to learn from watching others complete a task. They all figured out the puzzle themselves, most of them finding a different solution, and the few that found the same solution they think was just coincidental.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
i notice this a lot. my laugh has changed very often throughout my life as ive hung out with different people, for example.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Yeah. I act different when hanging out with different groups of friends. Not really a conscious thing, everyone's just trying to fit in
I think it's a form of social empathy. You start to emulate the person if you like their company.
I don't think it means you're mentally ill, so you can relax.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Not really. My philosophy is if you live in my country/speak in another manner and can't understand, you don't deserve me talking to you.

Might seem harsh but it's just that I talk the way I talk, that's it.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Mostly I find I start taking on different words/phrases if I spend a lot of time with someone, also depending on how often they use the word. But I'm 99% sure that most if not all people do this.

I mean, "ghetto" language probably developed because black people could only live in small areas of the city and they were pretty isolated. A better and more obvious example are different accents.

EDIT: The ghetto term thing just popped into my mind because I watched a documentary on gang violence in America awhile ago.
The human brain probably likes to assimilate and blend in to those around us. Makes us stand out less.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by captivate
My laugh starts to change if I hang around the same people for long enough.

This. My laugh now sounds like a cross between my best friend's and my boss's.

OT: Only on msn and facebook, tbh. Never in person. For example I have one friend who staggers her msn messages. They often look something like:

- I was at my cottage
- on the weekend
- and
- there were so many mosquitoes on the dock
- that I
- wasn't able to just sit
- on the dock
- I had to be either in the water
- or away from the dock

I have taken on this trait. And it is amplified when I am talking to her.
MATTERHORN
My speech has picked up patterns from all the interactions I have with non-americans here on UG and from watching Doctor Who and from listening to international DJs talk and so forth. I don't know about mannerisms so much, but I definitely pick up colloquialisms and vocabulary in a hurry. Hell, it's difficult for me to talk about trance without noticing a spot of accent here and there.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I do it blatantly and deliberately, usually just to make them conscious of the ways in which they behave.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by RU Experienced?
It's scary how much other people can influence your personality.

Personality is like a combination of everybody you know. Anything/anybody you see, talk to, hear, etc. probably affects you. Technology is definitely having an affect on newer generations.

Physical changes (evolution) take place over centuries... but the brain can do this exponentially faster.
Quote by Miniskirt
Personality is like a combination of everybody you know. Anything/anybody you see, talk to, hear, etc. probably affects you. Technology is definitely having an affect on newer generations.

Physical changes (evolution) take place over centuries... but the brain can do this exponentially faster.

Evolution is marked by biological changes, the brain doesn't evolve throughout ones life cycle, though chemical changes do occur (for instance, memory).

I understand what you mean, but I'm being a pedant because there's so many misconceptions in regards to evolution nowadays.

The impact of technology is certainly an interesting thing to ponder. I know this website alone as well as others have helped me learn a lot about different cultures that I'd otherwise never know. Whether or not that pervades into my personality is another question.
Yes I do it a lot.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Evolution is marked by biological changes, the brain doesn't evolve throughout ones life cycle, though chemical changes do occur (for instance, memory).

I understand what you mean, but I'm being a pedant because there's so many misconceptions in regards to evolution nowadays.

The impact of technology is certainly an interesting thing to ponder. I know this website alone as well as others have helped me learn a lot about different cultures that I'd otherwise never know. Whether or not that pervades into my personality is another question.

I'm not saying the brain is evolving, I added evolution in brackets to try and imply that, but I probably could've worded it better.

One thing I've been reading about is technology is making us more and more impatient. I kinda went off topic and I guess I'm talking about more general changes instead of just personality changes.

Anyway, cheers.

EDIT: Related to this topic, actually, I picked up using the term 'cheers' from UG, and I've only ever used it on here. Never in real life or on any other forum.
Last edited by Miniskirt at Aug 5, 2010,
meh, the people who you hang out with always shapes a part of you

I dont try to imitate people while talking to them though, thatd probably end up pissing people off

though I do pick up some mannerisms without knowing it, like when I watched an all-day marathon of the uk "the office" and listening to too much 90's rap and such
Quote by Miniskirt
One thing I've been reading about is technology is making us more and more impatient. I kinda went off topic and I guess I'm talking about more general changes instead of just personality changes.
I believe that. Back in my day we had dial-up internet connections and we had real family values then. Now it's all about the fiber-optics, instant gratification, and the hippity hop. Society is going down the tubes.
One of my friends has a lisp and whenever I talk to him I start lisping too. He doesn't mind but everyone else around thinks I'm mocking him so I'm trying to stop doing that now

I also get influenced by the way people type here on UG.
cat
Quote by RU Experienced?
I believe that. Back in my day we had dial-up internet connections and we had real family values then. Now it's all about the fiber-optics, instant gratification, and the hippity hop. Society is going down the tubes.

I had dial-up up until December of last year. But even now it's not all that fast and some of my friends have told me that it's too slow because it can't stream a Youtube video with needed to pre-load like half of it.

But I don't mind. I figure I would get bored faster if I could instantly watch any video. It's so true what they say about instant gratification. I think if my parents try to upgrade, I'm going to protest. 30 kb/s is more than enough even if I can't really download huge files.
I used to do that a lot. I still do but I used to too.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by Miniskirt
I had dial-up up until December of last year. But even now it's not all that fast and some of my friends have told me that it's too slow because it can't stream a Youtube video with needed to pre-load like half of it.

But I don't mind. I figure I would get bored faster if I could instantly watch any video. It's so true what they say about instant gratification. I think if my parents try to upgrade, I'm going to protest. 30 kb/s is more than enough even if I can't really download huge files.

Your avatar!

Fuck yea, Yoshi's Island.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Yes. I feel retarded when I do it but yes. I think people react better when they're faced with something familiar. And of course there are things I change out of courtesy depending on who I'm talking to, for example I'll refrain from swearing.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
When I was working behind the counter at a shop, a woman came in and for some reason was whispering. I whispered too and she thought I was taking the piss, turns out she had lost her voice... I didn't even do it on purpose
you are borg
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
Page 1 of 2