Poll Options
View poll results: Which do you prefer?
Speakers
50 64%
Headphones
28 36%
Voters: 78.
Searched, nothing came up.

When you are listening to music, do you prefer to use speakers or headphones to listen?

Personally, I prefer speakers, just because. I don't really have a reason.

Poll up soon.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Depends on what I'm listening to. If there are a lot of things going on in the song, then sometimes headphones make it easier to hear them.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Good headphones or 5.1 surround. Only listen to lossless files though...
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
It really depends. I like the headphones for the "in your world" effect. Speakers are funnier when your with friends and wanna crank the volume up.

I still prefer speakers tho.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Earphones produce the best soundscape imo, but speakers can be fun for jumping around with friends etc.
both, depends on my mood
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Headphones are great for private listening, but speakers are mandatory if others want to get in on the action.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I prefer speakers but I live in an apartment so if I want it loud I use headphones. I get the best out of my car speakers though. Sometimes I go on drives just to blast my music.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Quote by osXtiger
Headphones are great for private listening, but speakers are mandatory if others want to get in on the action.

Unless...
Not a total generalization, but with headphones you cant share the sound you hear with others. Granted that the sound is more clear which is the reason most people buy them, I figure that headphones are great if you hardly ever have people coming over.

I'm sure someone gets what im trying to get at.
Owing to my odd-shaped ears, I am yet to try a set of headphones that I can comfortably wear for longer than a few minutes... so speakers. That and the fact I spent an absurd amount on nice hi-fi speakers as well.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Well, I listen through speakers if im just normally on the computer or something, but when it starts getting later and people start to sleep i'll put in the headphones for obvious reasons. I really only use headphones when im using my iPod away from my house or if it starts getting late and I need to be quiet.
depends on my mood really. but for most situations, headphones.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by blue_strat

I went to one of those at the weekend, 'twas brilliant

Anywhom, definitely speakers. I've got no truck with needing to pause/take the headphones off whenever I need to leave the room, and there are the obvious social benefits as well. Plus, there's always the chance I'll convert someone who's in earshot of my fantastic musical taste.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Unless I have really good head phones, I almost always use my speakers. I have an awesome sound system for my cp. Makes the house quake even at low volumes.
Cheap speakers are horrible, but cheap headphones can be ok.

I prefer to listen to music through my stereo.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Earphones > All Else for me. xD

I got myself a good $150 pair of 'em and they're simply amazing.

Of course if the friends are around, I can plug in speakers as well. :P
If it was top of the line head phones I would say that, but right now, I prefer my 6 speaker surround sound.
My ears are all f*cked up, and the headphones keep falling out...

...so speakers.

EDIT: Usually when I have headphones in I'm not even listening to anything...
Last edited by nbur4556 at Aug 4, 2010,
Quote by Spike6sic6
It really depends. I like the headphones for the "in your world" effect. Speakers are funnier when your with friends and wanna crank the volume up.

I still prefer speakers tho.

I don't see what's so funny about speakers.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
I get a headache if I use headphones for too long but I don't have any speakers.
cat
Speakers.

Headphones can't possibly encompass all the frequencies and sound them like speakers can. Plus there's the issue of a lack of proper sound formation and distribution, all that stuff. You lose a lot of good quality in sonics when you don't have any acoustics.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Jako215
I have an awesome sound system for my cp.

O_o

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Speakers, headphones are great if you aren't at home. But nothing beats having the sound literally blow you away.

If you want a clear example of what I mean...play Judas Priest's "The Hellion" on your iPod. It's cool right? Now crank that sucker up on your stereo system. If you manage to survive the eargasm you experience than you'll know where I'm coming from.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
It is easier to hear the whole mix through headphones/earphones even if they're crap, but I do prefer speakers (as long as its a quality product).
MATTERHORN
depends on the music and who's around. I use headphones most of the time, so I have an excuse to "not hear" what people are saying.
i REALLY don't like speakers, when I'm listening to music, everyone in my family has a different taste in music, I'm the youngest, and My computer is in the kitchen.

One reason why I don't have speakers hooked up to ma comp is because one time when I was 10 I was on Team Fortress Classic and some random kid Said
"Mother ****er Mother ****er Mother ****er"

WOW, It was terrible, I didn't get to go on the computer for like a month...
10 is a tender age.
Good surround sound speakers > headphones

Unfortunately, I do not have surround sound speakers, or really any speakers at all besides my shitty built in laptop ones, so I prefer headphones.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Depends on what I'm listening to. If there are a lot of things going on in the song, then sometimes headphones make it easier to hear them.

I find having different seakers dedicated to different sounds is better. Like, my 3.5 inch speakers are definitely not producing any sub bass, so they focus in on the higher pitched stuff.
Quote by captaincrunk
I find having different seakers dedicated to different sounds is better. Like, my 3.5 inch speakers are definitely not producing any sub bass, so they focus in on the higher pitched stuff.

Durr. Tweeters, woofers, and subwoofers are all key.
MATTERHORN
Quote by UraniYum
Cannot stand headphones. I like knowing what's happening around me.

Buy better headphones.

And really I dislike using speakers, the quality dramatically drops when using them. I like being able to actually FEEL the music playing as the sound comes through the headphones directly into my ears.