I'm going to live in college dorms in a few weeks and i'm looking to get an amp.

My current guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Studio and I'm currently ampless.

The music I play ranges from post-hardcore such as older The Fall of Troy to post-rock such as Explosions in the Sky to metalcore such as The Devil Wears Prada.

So I need something pretty diverse.

The amp will mostly be used to practice in my dorm, but if i find people to jam with in college I would like to be able to play over drums.

I have no problem buying used, and my budget is around $600.

I used to own a Mesa Rect-o-verb and loved it.
I'm thinking maybe a Mesa F-30 if i can find one.

Suggestions?
maybe it's time to be post amp? i'd suggest 2 things man. you'll probably want a computer rig of some sort to jam out in the room and for practice and another bigger amp if you find people to jam with.

really any amp is too loud for a dorm room without headphones. h8 dorms.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
something small and be careful with that guitar at school. between people always grabbing it and wanting to play it to drunken nights and what not. just a warning
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
Isn't Guitar Rig 4 on sale right now or something?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Ht-5?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by AcousticMirror
maybe it's time to be post amp? i'd suggest 2 things man. you'll probably want a computer rig of some sort to jam out in the room and for practice and another bigger amp if you find people to jam with.

+1. Either use software or just buy a pocket pod. If you plan to gig while you’re at school get a Sansamp unit with one of their power amp cabinets and you’re covered for just about everything.
Do you have an iPod if so there something called amplitube irig and it's 40 bucks if not guitar Rig 4 would be good cuz u can get a pedal board wit the wah/volume and customizable stomp presets it's really nice
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Quote by AcousticMirror

+1 on the software. It can be great when you just want to jam with yourself late at night.

Disagree with the amp statement though. As a college student that lived in a dorm for 2 years I can say that I never had a problem with my Classic 30 being too loud. Any amp can get quiet if you set the volume low enough. Might now sound as good as when it's cranked, but when you wanna play with a band or jam you'll at least have the option.
I suppose it depends on the dorm. Ucla was pretty crowded clustered in the new dorms. The old dorm buildings had a lot more noise going on so I suppose it was possible.

Just like bear with it for one year or 2 and take your amp with you when you get an apartment. instant win.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
You could play an amp in a dorm as long as it has master volume of course.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs to have a tone they are satisfied with to play guitar.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I was considering using my computer to play, but then that eliminates the ability to play with others.
But, say i do go that route.

What all would i need for a nice set up?
Idk I knew a lot of guys in the dorms that brought their HRD's and Blues Deville's and other big amps, bigger than mine, and they never had a problem. I don't think it's a matter of noise so much as using that new invention they put on amps nowadays called the volume control.

That being said I was always able to crank mine a little louder than most because my friend from high school lived across from me, and some guy that was always having sex with his girlfriend was on the other side of the wall, so I didn't have to worry about it.
In the dorm i went to college in, youre going to want a nice pair of headphones. I would probably get something like a l6 pod and run the headphones off it. In my old dorm room, you wouldn't be able to turn on a tube amp and play it without bothering others

And tbh the college experience is much more than playing guitar, i actually basically stopped playing during college because the social calendar just became too much. I never looked back and don't regret any of it. Picked it up again way post college and now am a gear *****.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by JoePerry4life
I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs to have a tone they are satisfied with to play guitar.

Then why do you play an Agile through a XXX through a shitty cabinet?

Sorry, just trolling, and it was too easy. Your gear's fine bro. I agree with you that tone is important, but I think that software can be satisfying enough if you have good speakers and a nice computer for fast processing and patch creation and stuff.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
the now discontinued Peavey Mini Collosal is a great amp for dorm rooms.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I was just about to ask this question. I was thinking a Peavey Vypyr 15. I just need something I can jam on and something I can plug into an audio interface to record demo tracks with that doesn't sound like absolute crap. I've somehow magically been blessed with a solo room at college, so I COULD take my Single Rectifier and shit with me if I really wanted to. But that would be kind of dumb.
Quote by whiteraven119
I've somehow magically been blessed with a solo room at college, so I COULD take my Single Rectifier and shit with me if I really wanted to. But that would be kind of dumb.

Yeah, kind of. On a related note, a college dorm isn’t the best place for expensive audio equipment that can be stolen or destroyed. If you do take a nice amp or guitar to school, make sure it’s insured!
Egnater Tweaker.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Last edited by The3818919 at Aug 5, 2010,
I'm probably picking up a Fender Blues Junior and a Satchurator before I move back. I play a lot of different stuff with distortion, and that seems like the most versatile option for clean and distorted. Plus, the price/size is right for me too. It'll be my first tube amp, fit nicely in my room, and still be loud enough to jam with. I'm a recording student, so the size will be nice for recording...

Whoa. Super tangent. Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread. I guess I'm saying look into the Fender stuff.

On some of the above comments: Having a guitar and amp at school is fantastic. I lived in a dorm last year, and it was great. Just make sure you put stuff in its case and away when not in use. I used both headphones and the amp itself, never any complaints. Which is surprising, because I used it a lot to 'pay back' my terrible neighbors for having parties and making too much damn noise during finals and other inopportune times. So, when 8am rolled around, I rolled the volume up to about 8.
"Music Can Change The World Because It Can Change People..." - Bono

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

Blues Junior and a PODxt Live. Great tube tone for jamming coupled with a great way to record/play silently and expand your tonal possibilities with effects to boot. I guess it depends on the college you're going to and the way their dorms are set up....but in honesty thats the way I'd spend my money.
Best bet would be to make friends with someone living in a rented house. Lots of people that are musicians in college would be in this situation. Make friends.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Hourah for living at home!

That aside, why not look into the Blackstar HT-5?
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
the new engl gigmaster is 15watt tube but has power soak and can be played at 5 and 1 watts