Before anyone ovaryacts and reports it, this is NOT made to be a vs thread

I keep hearing people say how the Studios are "exact same" as the Standards just not as pretty

Though I disagree with that statement, I'll defend the death, your right to say it

Back on topic

I've played Several Les Paul Studios and Standards, from studios I've played the Worn red and brown finishes, Silverburst and Alpine white, (I've been told worn finishes have different pickups) and each one felt hollow, did not sound great, too light, action was a bit highand did not play well.

I've played 3 different Les Paul Standards, and there was not a single flaw with any of them. I could sail right down the fretboard with ease, loved having that heavy weight in my lap, it just sang to me...

So. Where do people get this "they're the exact same thing" beleif?

It was all through the same Amp, A Marshall JVM 210H with the same settings for each guitar

I'll pay extra for a standard any day

Discuss
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
Last edited by MetalMike676 at Aug 5, 2010,
when picking out my les paul i looked at a whole bunch, i would have taken a standard, but this studio was amazing, everything felt perfect on it.

Quote by thatdude0223
I hear the Les Paul Studio's arent nearly on the same level of quality as a Les Paul Standard.

I heard we should have flying cars by around the year 2000 so lets see where it goes
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Aug 4, 2010,
1. The new Faded versions have Burstbucker Pro's in them. Other Studios have the 490R/498T. Not to mention that the Standards have a maple cap. Almost a completely different sound than the Standards with a '57 Classic and Burstbucker 3.

2. They're all weight relieved... they should be about the same weight, regardless.

3. Action is merely preference. Saying a guitar with a high action is like saying strings are too tight.

4. Each one plays differently. I'm surprised you didn't find one that you liked.

5. Obviously each guitar (especially the Faded Studios, Studio and Standard) are going to sound different with the same settings on the same amp.

The Faded Studios will have a very warm dark and somewhat lower output sound. You'd have to compensate somewhere in the EQ for that.

The Studio's have a much higher output sound... I wouldn't say more harsh, but there's definitely a bit more balls to those pickups. Have a maple cap, so the sound is brighter than the Faded Studio's

The Standards will be the brightest, pretty mellow and the most balanced sounding out of the three. I think the extra $1,000 to the price tag is something to add in about that guitar.

No matter how you look at it... if you were to throw a '57 Classic in the neck, and a Burstbucker 3 in the bridge of a Studio, you'd have yourself a Standard.
no.

lowest wood - studios

better wood - standards

best wood - historic reissues

the difference between studios and standards is much smaller then the difference between a historic and standard though.

For the studio v historic...the biggest perceptual difference is that a faded studio just feels cheaper and looks cheaper then a blinged out standard.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I like the look and feel of Faded Studios way more than I like Standards.

But still, TS, your biggest mistake was not properly EQ'ing each guitar. That would be like if I played with my all stock Dean with the same settings as my Schecter... It just doesn't sound quite right.
Are we talking about the 799 dollar studios or the over 1000 studios? I heard those 799 dollar ones were the ones that suck
Quote by thatdude0223
Are we talking about the 799 dollar studios or the over 1000 studios? I heard those 799 dollar ones were the ones that suck

well that's a preference thing really.

the worn studios, $799, don't have a maple cap like standards, traditionals, regular studios $1399.00. also, they come with gig bags and not a hard shell case.

also, they have the full body cavity routed out. chambered, not weight relieved. tap on the front of one just above the bridge a couple inches. it will be very apparent to you that it's chambered.

standards and worn studios are chambered, traditionals and normal studios ($1399) are weight relieved.

also neck profiles vary between the models.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
There is no difference between a regular studio and a standard. You're just imagining things. Same woods, just without the binding and headstock inlay.

This "belief" comes directly from Gibson themselves. They have no reason to lie.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by I am wet
when picking out my les paul i looked at a whole bunch, i would have taken a standard, but this studio was amazing, everything felt perfect on it.

this is exactly what i did with my studio. Funny thing was, i was actually looking for an SG but couldn't find any i liked to play. I think i dropped lucky with my LP studio because it may not be the best guitar in the world (far from it), but it's certainly one that suits me very well.

@guitar nubsauce: There really is more difference than just binding and inlays - they use better quality pieces of wood. If you can't tell the difference between a studio and a standard in terms of quality, you might as well just stick with epiphones, because you probably won't be able to tell the difference between an epiphone and a gibson either.

Yes, i have a studio and i'm saying the standards are far better because it's just a matter of fact I have no reason to lie to myself and pretend my guitar is better than it is, because i'm happy with it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
this is exactly what i did with my studio. Funny thing was, i was actually looking for an SG but couldn't find any i liked to play. I think i dropped lucky with my LP studio because it may not be the best guitar in the world (far from it), but it's certainly one that suits me very well.

@guitar nubsauce: There really is more difference than just binding and inlays - they use better quality pieces of wood. If you can't tell the difference between a studio and a standard in terms of quality, you might as well just stick with epiphones, because you probably won't be able to tell the difference between an epiphone and a gibson either.

Yes, i have a studio and i'm saying the standards are far better because it's just a matter of fact I have no reason to lie to myself and pretend my guitar is better than it is, because i'm happy with it.

Are the studios epiphone quality or gibson quiality?
Quote by Blompcube

Agree to disagree. I play out of a marshal '78 JCM 800 when visiting one of the players that has taught me a lot of what I know, and he has a '71 LP standard as well '72 SG standard. I've gone through many pickups, and when I put classic 59s, a jb jazz set, or a jb-4 in my les paul studio, I could dial into the same exact tonal responses as my teacher.

There's crap sounding studios, and crap sounding standards. You can find phenomenal sounding instruments from both.

Cosmetics if you find the right guitar.

I can hear the differences between guitars, but believe whatever you wish.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by thatdude0223
Are the studios epiphone quality or gibson quiality?

they are gibson quality - whatever that means. They are far better than epiphones, but not as well built as the other gibsons.

@nubsauce: I wasn't talking about sound - i was talking about overall quality. I think all in all it's subjective and it's quite easy to mistake a guitar you like as a better quality guitar than one you don't like, even though the one you don't like might actually be the better quality instrument - that's the way it is with the standard vs studio series with gibson - i love my studio, even though every standard i've played was better quality - i just didn't like them as much.

Of course there is a certain amount of variance too but i think most of it is subjective - it's a strange one with gibson really. But the standards are meant to be much better quality, anyway. Whether that's always the case or not is anyones guess - they are all so much of an individual guitar that it's quite hard to tell.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by MetalMike676
Before anyone ovaryacts and reports it, this is NOT made to be a vs thread

I keep hearing people say how the Studios are "exact same" as the Standards not as pretty

Though I disagree with that statement, I'll defend the death, your right to say it

Back on topic

I've played Several Les Paul Studios and Standards, from studios I've played the Worn red and brown finishes, Silverburst and Alpine white, (I've been told worn finishes have different pickups) and each one felt hollow, did not sound great, too light, action was a bit highand did not play well.

I've played 3 different Les Paul Standards, and there was not a single flaw with any of them. I could sail right down the fretboard with ease, loved having that heavy weight in my lap, it just sang to me...

So. Where do people get this "they're the exact same thing" beleif?

It was all through the same Amp, A Marshall JVM 210H with the same settings for each guitar

Discuss
lmao they're both chambered.

personally i'd skip the standard altogether and just get a used historic. the overall quality of the gibson custom shop is so far beyond gibson usa that its laughable.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 5, 2010,
Well, as far as the Flying V line goes the Standard and Faded models are downright identical. The only difference between the two is the lack of a clearcoat/grain filler, and a hardshell case. The actual guitars themeselves are identical down to the hardware and pickguard
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
if you liked having a heavy les paul standard then you like playing a hollow rock.
Quote by AcousticMirror
if you liked having a heavy les paul standard then you like playing a hollow rock.

That's your opinion, I guess I just like having something sturdy and quality in my hands
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
Quote by al112987
lmao they're both chambered.

They could have been pre-2008 or the traditional historic pro mega jumbo vintage telekinesis whatever it is Standard with no chambering. The maple cap on the standard makes a little difference in the heft of the guitar, too.

The shop he played the guitars at makes a difference too. Places like GC often make Studios seem worse than they are because they'll stock the Studios out on the floor to get abused by every 12 year old with a pick and two fists, while the Standards sit behind the counter and only get played occasionally.
Quote by MetalMike676
That's your opinion, I guess I just like having something sturdy and quality in my hands

no it's not my opinion. it's science.

a gibson historic of some kind if not chambered. They weigh about 8-9 pounds max. They are not chambered, not weight relieved, completely solid construction all the way through except for the pickup chambers and the pot chamber.

A chambered les paul that is heavy weighs up 8-9 pounds. That guitar is over 75 percent air. If it wasn't chambered it would weight 15-16 pounds. That's a rock.

High mineral content + improperly drained resin content + speed aging = heavier wood that is denser and less resonant.

Fact. not opinion.