howdy

I need your advice on what effects or anything i should buy that will help me get the sound and tone i want. I am 16, in a band that is sort of post hardcore, i like melodic metal stuff and just anything where the guitars sound good.

i have a marshall mg100dfx and and an epiphone 1959 les paul, i already have a behringer ultra wah, a behringer hellbabe wah and an old pearl distortion pedal ( not sure what model is it)

i am trying to get a sort of motley crue(mick mars) sound, that sort of sharp sound, i also very much like the band escape the fate and there guitarists Bryan Monte Money's sound aswell. i dont have much money only about $200 at max.

and i do play live, if thats important

please help
A versatile amp like that that can be used live for $200 will be difficult to find. Sell your MG and look for a tube Peavey Vypyr.
edgy meems only friendo :^)
you're not gonna get much for $200, the vypyr is a good practice amp, but if you play gigs you will eventually outgrow it. Try and find a used Valveking. The VK isn't amazing but will definitely be a step up, and being all tube will be much more ideal volume wise than the vypyr since they are solidstate/hybrid. also keep in mind that the vypyr is a modeler, which you may or may not like.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
so to get the tone i want, you guys think i will need a new amp insteed of using pedals to get tone?
yes, the mg is an entry level practice amp. would not suggest gigging with it. sell your mg, you'll probably get between 100-200 for it i guess, then take said money, add it to budget, and there $300-400 in which you could use to get a good amp. For $400 you could possibly find a 5150 like I did.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 5, 2010,
oh ok i would prefer not to sell my mg but i will still look into doing it
yeah i guess it was a pretty good deal. I actually know someone who got a 5150 Head off crisglist for $300!(I know, crazy). All it needed was a new fuse ($5). Even the tubes were still pretty good
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by Arterial

WHY AUSTRALIA, WHYYYYYYYYYY!

I know $2000 is a crime isn't it, and thats the used price. Although my amp I got for $1300 was a good price and even more than a 6505 new
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Buy an equalizer, and learn how to use it. I think its the most important piece of equipment you can have.

Other than that, buy an amp that can do really great cleans and a distortion pedal; this combination gives you a lot of versatility and will help you dial in 'your' sound.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
It basically helps you 'shape' your sound. Like the bass, mid, and treble knobs on most amps, but with more control.

Here's a basic eq:

The sliders represent different frequencies and adjusting them up and down boosts or cuts those frequencies. A common setting is 'scooped' mids which gives you a very heavy sound.

You said you wanted a sharp sound, with an equalizer you could boost the high frequencies to achieve just that.
Quote by handbanana
Quote by MalZenen
oh ok i would prefer not to sell my mg but i will still look into doing it

Dude, just do it. Seriously. Get a ValveKing, and you'll never look back. a 2X12 combo can be easily had for under $400.

And I'm sorry if you take offense to this, but MG's are shit. Get the ValveKing. It'll make everything better. Your pedals will sound better, your guitar will sound better, your distortion will sound a hell of a lot better... the power of tubes is nigh unconquerable.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by nyandres
The MG is not that bad. its tought to EQ however.

i hope this is a joke

i agree 100% with everything offworld said. A lot of people will probably talk about how the VK isn't that great, but compared to the MG it will be a huge upgrade for him, and a great first tube amp, and will do perfectly fine for his style.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
I wish people would stop recommending the Valveking when you can get a Fender Super Champ for 300 bucks. I owned a 112 VK for a few years and I'd take a Super Champ over it any day. Hell for another hundred bucks you can get a Hot Rod Deluxe.
Quote by handbanana
Did you even read the original post?
He's not going to use a fender for poasthardcore, that's just dumb(unless its a vintage bassman)
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
A clean amp and a distortion pedal will give you a harder sound than a valveking. Trust me I use a hot rod deluxe and it works great.
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool
A clean amp and a distortion pedal will give you a harder sound than a valveking. Trust me I use a hot rod deluxe and it works great.

NO!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Yeah dude just stop while you're ahead. Fenders amps + hardcore = NO
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Whatever bro
Quote by handbanana
I've seen it before... tube fender + distortion pedal. It wasn't bad. Just make sure it's a good distortion pedal.
I have a huge fear if rays.
I would use an overdrive over a distortion any day
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
Yeah dude just stop while you're ahead. Fenders amps + hardcore = NO

ETID used a Bassman on their newest. But yeah, you would have to build your tone purely on distortion pedals, which kind of defeats the point when you're looking for an amp to play heay-ish music with.

My advice: sell your pedals and your amp and wait till you have enough to buy a decent amp. If you rush into it there's no guarantee you'll be happy with what you end up buying. My first tube amp was the totally wrong one for me, I just bought it because it was tube and I had the money.
Quote by wiliscool
I wish people would stop recommending the Valveking when you can get a Fender Super Champ for 300 bucks. I owned a 112 VK for a few years and I'd take a Super Champ over it any day. Hell for another hundred bucks you can get a Hot Rod Deluxe.

I really, really beg to disagree. I play metalcore and death metal with my ValveKing. It sounds not that great on it's own, but I have the lead boost constantly on on it, and it sounds brutal. When I need a solo boost I use my compressor, which makes it sound even heavier.

Tube preamp distortion isn't really comparable to any distortion pedal. The only one that I think is pretty god is a Hardwire metal distortion, until you start getting into really expensive pedals, which the TS doesn't have a budget for anyway.

Also, the Super Champ isn't even a legitimate tube amp, I don't know why so many people seem to think so. Unless you're playing at uber high maxed out volumes, hybrid amps don't really count for much.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by boffen
ETID used a Bassman on their newest. But yeah, you would have to build your tone purely on distortion pedals, which kind of defeats the point when you're looking for an amp to play heay-ish music with.

My advice: sell your pedals and your amp and wait till you have enough to buy a decent amp. If you rush into it there's no guarantee you'll be happy with what you end up buying. My first tube amp was the totally wrong one for me, I just bought it because it was tube and I had the money.

i said on the previous page anything except for a vintage bassman. they are great amps, and literally the only fender amp I would use for high gain stuff.

twin reverbs and stuff are cool, but not for metal

Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by Offworld92
I really, really beg to disagree. I play metalcore and death metal with my ValveKing. It sounds not that great on it's own, but I have the lead boost constantly on on it, and it sounds brutal. When I need a solo boost I use my compressor, which makes it sound even heavier.

Tube preamp distortion isn't really comparable to any distortion pedal. The only one that I think is pretty god is a Hardwire metal distortion, until you start getting into really expensive pedals, which the TS doesn't have a budget for anyway.

Also, the Super Champ isn't even a legitimate tube amp, I don't know why so many people seem to think so. Unless you're playing at uber high maxed out volumes, hybrid amps don't really count for much.

I dunno I always hated the lead channel on my vk
It just sounded kind of dull all the time.

I know the Super champ is a hybrid, but I always thought they sounded good. I just think its good to have a few more opinions thrown into the mix. If everyone always took the collective advice of the GG&A we'd all be using valvekings
I bought mine back in the day after a bunch of people in this forum advised me to and I was never really thrilled with it.
Last word from me on this: Its all subjective.
Quote by handbanana
modded valveking's actually sound pretty decent
the stock bias on them is kinda cold
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by wiliscool
Buy an equalizer, and learn how to use it. I think its the most important piece of equipment you can have.

Other than that, buy an amp that can do really great cleans and a distortion pedal; this combination gives you a lot of versatility and will help you dial in 'your' sound.

Wat? Why would you say to someone to buy an EQ pedal, that they really don't need, to use with an MG, which they could easily upgrade using the money to buy the EQ. EQ's are great if you need them an EQ will not polish a turd, it will only put a sparkle on a tone you like but feel is lacking a little bit of something.

Also, handbanana. New Fender Twin? Fantastic amp for hardcore/metal and it's a Fender, the drive sound on it is huge.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by wiliscool
I dunno I always hated the lead channel on my vk
It just sounded kind of dull all the time.

I know the Super champ is a hybrid, but I always thought they sounded good. I just think its good to have a few more opinions thrown into the mix. If everyone always took the collective advice of the GG&A we'd all be using valvekings
I bought mine back in the day after a bunch of people in this forum advised me to and I was never really thrilled with it.
Last word from me on this: Its all subjective.

FWIW, the tubes in mine had already been changed out when I bought it used, so that may be the difference.

I hate how many people here hate on my ValveKing, when it actually does sound good - worth every penny of what I paid.

Maybe I should just make clips or something...

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X