Hi, I have quite a few albums on my ipod the are MPEG-1, layer 3 with 320kbps bit-rate. Would using itunes to convert them to AAC 256kbps (VBR) make a significant sound difference? I don't know very much about audio quality and compression so any help would be appreciated!

what sounds better? or do they both sound similar?
James "The Rev" Sullivan
1981-2009
May He Rest In Peace
Quote by thenextkirk92
So, why do they need to be converted exactly?

To put on his ipod.

Ipods dont function with stuff in mp3 format

TS, once something is in wav, acc, or mp3, it has already lost a ton of data. The amount you lose when converting is negligible

If your really worried about it, use FLAC or some other loseless file type. Better yet, listen to vinyl

EDIT: ^ RUexperienced, your thinking of another apple format. ALAC is lossless, ACC is lossy.
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Aug 5, 2010,
No reason, I hear a lot of discrepancy about MP3 and AAC. People argue about which is better, thats what I'm wondering. Is 320kbps on an ipod a waste of space?
James "The Rev" Sullivan
1981-2009
May He Rest In Peace
To some it makes a huge difference, to some it doesn't seem to make any difference. Some people, such as myself, can detect the difference but really do not care THAT much about the digital quality of the music.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by tubatom868686
To put on his ipod.

Mine does, and I don't think mine is some sort of special snowflake.
Quote by tubatom868686

Whoops. That's almost right. But mostly wrong.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by crazy8rgood
Mine does, and I don't think mine is some sort of special snowflake.

Doubt it. Itunes automatically converts to ACC. Unless you have a miracle ipod

EDIT: Excuse me. Upon research, you are right
Quote by tubatom868686
Doubt it. Itunes automatically converts to ACC. Unless you have a miracle ipod

My iTunes doesn't automatically convert to AAC, and once again, not thinking my iTunes is a special snowflake.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Aug 5, 2010,
Do NOT convert mp3 to another lossy format (for example aac or ogg).
Never do a lossy to lossy conversion, it will just end up sounding worse.
Uncompressed 16bit/44.1khz audio has a bitrate of 1411kbps iirc, and the highest bitrate mp3 is 320kbps.
Lossy audio codecs cut out what it determines to be the least audible & least important parts of a lossless file. When that happens, the result sound suprisingly good.
However, when converting mp3 -> mp3 for example, all it will do is again remove what it determines to be the least audible & important parts. This will lead to poor quality audio.

Once you convert to a lossy format, that part of the audio is forever lost, and will not be recovered without reripping the original cd.

Just remember this
Lossless -> Lossy = Good
Lossless -> Lossless = Good
Lossy -> Lossless = Bad
Lossy -> Lossy = Bad
Quote by Sense()Offender
Solo? What's that? You mean like, playing guitar alone?

Quote by imnotcommunist
dude my balls fell off of my dick. is this good?

Quote by rizo299

Yes, stupididty isn't just confined to america.
Quote by dirtydog250
Do NOT convert mp3 to another lossy format (for example aac or ogg).
Never do a lossy to lossy conversion, it will just end up sounding worse.
Uncompressed 16bit/44.1khz audio has a bitrate of 1411kbps iirc, and the highest bitrate mp3 is 320kbps.
Lossy audio codecs cut out what it determines to be the least audible & least important parts of a lossless file. When that happens, the result sound suprisingly good.
However, when converting mp3 -> mp3 for example, all it will do is again remove what it determines to be the least audible & important parts. This will lead to poor quality audio.

Once you convert to a lossy format, that part of the audio is forever lost, and will not be recovered without reripping the original cd.

Just remember this
Lossless -> Lossy = Good
Lossless -> Lossless = Good
Lossy -> Lossless = Bad
Lossy -> Lossy = Bad

It doesn't sound surprisingly good. It sounds surprisingly compressed and loses its realism.