I just wondering the opinions of whether or not an Epiphone is a good buy for the price or just buy something else. I understand the higher quality of the gibson, but have played some Epi's and didn't feel like it was that bad. Just a question.
epiphones are nice
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
epi definitely make some quality guitars. depends pretty largely on the model though. any one in particular you were curious about?
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
It totally depends on which epiphone model, your budget, your playing style, and so many other factors. All in all, epiphones are good for their price ranges, but it all depends.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I have an Epi Les Paul and could not be happier. I ended up changing the pick ups but after that its great. The hardware is all decent quality and i plan to keep it for awhile
Depends on the price. Most epiphones I've played that are below the $500 range seems pretty sub par to my ears and hands. However I own the Epiphone Prophecy GX and I've never been happier.
I mean I play a wide range of rock and blues. I have MIM HSS Strat, which I like. My first guitar was a Epi Special II, which wasn't eartth shatteringly amazing, but I wouldn't mind getting a nice quality model. ANy opinions on which are the superior models?
Epis are nice, but I could never buy one. It's unfortunate, but I have grown to think of them (rightly or wrongly) as second rate Gibsons... now when I get my LP, it will have to be a Gibson. But if you can get past that, then they're fine.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
if you are thinking about the hollowbodies, then they are fantastic. some of the other models are very good as well.
I mean i was probably looking at a Les Paul or maybe a semi-hollow or something of that sort.
I played a Dot Studio in a music shop in town once, and fell in love with it. Apparently all the other guitarists in town did too, seeing as how it was gone in less than a week.
Once fixed a toilet with an old trombone...
Your question is way too vague. As with every company, they make high end and low end models, and within that, every person has a different preference, and will like a certain feel.

Just try some out yourself, don't ask us. We all have way different opinions.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
There quality can be touchy. You can get one thats really nice and one thats a right lemon. Bit like there parent company really
I had an epiphone les paul years ago that sounded very thin for a les paul (it took me a while to realise because i was still pretty n00b) while my mates sounded very good.
Yep Epiphone's are nice guitars for imports. I have a Wilshire custom reissue and it is a very cool guitar. Is it a Gibson? No. Not even close but,it is a good guitar in its own right.That said I would be more comfortable buying a Epi sight unseen new as opposed to Blenders counter part Squire. Which I would have to go over with a fine toothed comb before I would even consider buying one.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Epiphones are decent enough - however there are some better options which are more or less the same spec and the same quality, made in the same factories even, for a little bit less, depending on where you are in the world.

for example if you're in the UK, don't bother with epiphone, because vintage are equal quality guitars to epiphones for a lower price than what epiphones cost here. They also have some models which are superior to anything epiphone makes (their signature models are actually better quality than the regular models unlike epiphone), but these cost considerably more, too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
My Sheraton II is just as fun to play as my les paul studio or american strat. After I put some gibson pickups in it, it will be a complete monster. Looks great for gigging if you do that sort of thing.

If you're going to go semi-hollow, get a 335 copy from Epiphone IMO.

Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Aug 5, 2010,
I have a Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA made in korea in 08. It is one of the best guitars i've ever used or tried. It is amazing. The prices have doubled since i bought mine though i got a les paul ultra for £330.
As with all brands, it depends on the individual guitar.

I had an Epi DOT Studio I bought off a guy for $120. It was one of the better Epiphones I'd ever put my hands on, honestly. Then I've played Epi black beauty copies priced at around the $1,000 range that felt like plywood.

Epiphones can be a rip-off, or an absolute steal. It all really comes down to physically going to a shop and taking a test run before you decide on a specific model or series.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Get an Agile instead. You can get the same (and sometimes more) features, more consistent QC, and much smaller price tag.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by coolstoryangus
There quality can be touchy. You can get one thats really nice and one thats a right lemon. Bit like there parent company really
I had an epiphone les paul years ago that sounded very thin for a les paul (it took me a while to realise because i was still pretty n00b) while my mates sounded very good.

a right lemon?!?
Quote by Scotsman24`
Depends on the price. Most epiphones I've played that are below the $500 range seems pretty sub par to my ears and hands. However I own the Epiphone Prophecy GX and I've never been happier.

that... but i have the Ex instead =) shoud have the GX eventually aswell
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band