i'm looking for a microphone around 50$ that will pick up my voice nicley but also won't slurr my guitar or muffle it when i record for youtube.
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
shure sm57 is great for micing a guitar speaker

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Hey, I want a mic that can record a drum kit and still be good for my banjo. I have $15.50.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
You want quality for both voice and guitar? Save up and get a Shure SM27. Sure, it's not as cheap as a 57, but it'll sound a lot better than the 57 will on vocals. Can't wait to save up $300 plus something as an interface? Take your 50 dollars, get a Rock Band mic or something, and learn how to EQ and engineer sound well.

EDIT: Realized I came off like a dick so sorry. The point was rather to say "learn how to record on entry level equipment before you throw out money on the big stuff" rather than "hurr durr look at this guy he so stoopid." Good luck on your search.
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig
Last edited by walruscore at Aug 5, 2010,
oh no what i said was misleading. i will be doing youtube videos of me playing the guitar. i'll talk for a bit. i want something to plug into my kodak zi8. it will be by me but i want it to pick up the amp without a bad sound.
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by thundermonty
oh no what i said was misleading. i will be doing youtube videos of me playing the guitar. i'll talk for a bit. i want something to plug into my kodak zi8. it will be by me but i want it to pick up the amp without a bad sound.

I don't think you can plug a mic directly into that camera. And unless you had a hi-zi mic, you wouldn't want to anyway.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Well I was going to say that an SM57 works better as a vocal mic than a SM58 works as an instrument mic. If I was only going to own one mic it would be the 57. I see that isn't going to help the TS much but I thought I'd just voice that opinion for the others that this thread will inevitably attract.
I know nothing about that camera, sorry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if its only used for you speaking then the sm57 should do the job will have to go used though and maybe save a tad more
There's no real way to mic a cab, with picking up vocals, and avoiding the pick hitting string noise.
But, if you can live with that, get a condenser mic. I find that mine picks up everything in the room.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by catempire
Hey, I want a mic that can record a drum kit and still be good for my banjo. I have $15.50.
Very funny. Vocals and guitars have a lot of overlap in their frequency range.

Anyway, the SM57 isn't bad at all for vocals. Even the president of America uses it! And you should be able to plug it into a camera with a proper adapter. Although it wouldn't be grounded, and that might cause some issues. Not sure on that. Also, careful if you're gonna crank your amp in front of the SM57, because the output can get pretty high and your camera might not like it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I played with singer whose favourite mic was an SM57 - and he had plenty to choose from including SM58s. He did sound good through it. It was one in particular that he always carried with him but still, it was a 57.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
57 is basically a 58 in a different housing. For speaking into it, pretty much any mic will do, it's not like you need your talking to be high quality

My only concern is that I'm not sure how exactly you're going to plug a mic like that into your camera. You definitely can't get a condenser though, that's for sure, your camera won't have phantom power
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
57 is basically a 58 in a different housing. For speaking into it, pretty much any mic will do, it's not like you need your talking to be high quality

My only concern is that I'm not sure how exactly you're going to plug a mic like that into your camera. You definitely can't get a condenser though, that's for sure, your camera won't have phantom power

Something like this probably:
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Well, there are condenser mics with batteries. I have a plate mic like that, has a little box attached to it that houses the batteries. No phantom power required.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Kanthras
Something like this probably:

Since when can you plug an XLR cable into a cheap camera
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Since when can you plug an XLR cable into a cheap camera
It's an XLR to RCA adaptor.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
It's an XLR to RCA adaptor.

Oh, I thought that was just the cable trailing off into the picture
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Okay here's an idea. Get one of those Snowball USB mics to pick up everything in the room. Record video separately. Sync the video and audio in your video editing program. Then you're good to go.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1

This is exactly right, the capsules are identical. The shape of the windscreen gives them each a unique frequency response.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
any quality mic will work, including a 50 dollar one. cheaper and well, you have a crappy mic.

a sure 57 is good for instruments, but i have mic'ed amps with regualr mics before and it didnt sound to bad. 50 and you are "meh" quality but it will work fine.

ive mic'ed a gutiar amp for a gig with a 25 buck regualr mic. not ideal, but i dont think anyone had anything bad to say...
Quote by MatrixClaw

Oh yah, he said Camera. Damn...
Can't you buy those phantom powered intrefaces, the real small 1 channel ones. Cant think of any off the top of my head. Just take the line out from that, then put it in the cam. Adapter is built in.
Line 6 toneport or something like that.
..I was watching my death.