Hi folks
I've searched this forum like mad, haven't come across what I EXACTLY want. well here it is:
Budget: $600US

Genre: Progressive metal

7 string guitar with 26.5" scale, I drop tune a lot, my older guitar with a 25.5" gave me SERIOUS intonation problems on drop A/drop G.

24 frets

FIXED BRIDGE: I hate floyds because they're a bitch to tune and I tend to change tunings frequently.

Passive pickups, the active sound doesn't appeal to me. The other guitarist in my old band uses actives, I just don't like that kinda tone. Also recommend pickups that are CLEAR and have a shitload of note separation and weird-chord-clarity at high gain. And good cleans are really important. I DON'T want crazy-high output pups, I'm going direct through a PODX3. I want CLARITY, NOTE SEPARATION and great cleans.

Jumbo frets...I'm just used to them. Although I would like to know if it actually matters that much.

Advice on bodywood/neck joint. My understanding is that for a 7 string the best is mahogany with maple top and set neck. Correct me if I'm wrong and gimme suggestions/recommendations please.

Thanks guys! Cheers!

EDIT: I saw the ultimate 7 string thread, its way too long for me to go through page by page so any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by catscratchfever at Aug 5, 2010,
if the 7 string thread is to long for you then why do you think we would look through it for you?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Well pickups aren't included in the budget. I don't know much about body woods or neck joints so please advise me on what to look for in this budget. I'm an ignorant idiot.
Check out the Schecter Omen 7 Extreme, has all the specs that you said.
I dont really want to argue about it but ive used both passive and active pickups, sure active pickups are generally used for real heavy kinda stuff, but i find they have more clarity when using a 7 string, but it is up to you, if you are willing to go for the active pickups maybe have a look at the Schecter hellraiser C7. you can get the standard C7 too, that comes with passive pups.
Quote by I am wet
if the 7 string thread is to long for you then why do you think we would look through it for you?

I don't want you to look through it for me you numbskull I would appreciate it if you reply on this thread without directing me there!
you all ready said you know what woods you want...so just go to a guitar shop and tell them everything you want...that way they can laugh at you in person lol
C7 standard was a serious option, but it has medium frets. Does it make a difference? Its just that I've been playing a jumbo fret 6 string for 6 years now..so I'm just used to it. Does fret size affect tone in any way?
Quote by slingshotjr
you all ready said you know what woods you want...so just go to a guitar shop and tell them everything you want...that way they can laugh at you in person lol

I didn't say "I WANTZ ONLY THEZE WOODZ" idiot, I said this is my understanding. I want to know if I can get that in my budget, and requested you to make recommendations. You obviously can't do that. get out of this thread man. Some of the others have given me excellent advice here, I'll listen to them and ignore whatever you say on this thread henceforth.
It doesnt really make too much of a difference, its just the fact that you have to get used to it. The good thing about the C7 is that it has an ultra access set neck, the set neck gives you more sustain and therefore more clarity.
I think it is an extremely good guitar for the price of it just maybe if you get the chance, upgrade to dimarzios or something but schecters stock pickups arent bad at all.
Quote by User_Name336
sounds to me like this might be your only bet for what you want. and you're still going to most likely need a pickup change.

http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html

Holy shit! That looks KILLER!
But importing it to Indonesia will be a bitch...

I'll look into it anyway...anything else?
adding to my previous post, after looking through a few of them, this might actually be exactly what you're going to want:
27 inch scale (not at all noticeable difference over 26.5)
jumbo frets
fixed bridge
although active pickups, they don't sound like EMG actives. more of a high output Seymour Duncan passive. they have quite a bit of bass, that some people dont like. if you dont like, change them for something else.
under $600

http://www.rondomusic.com/septorpro727mnbk.html

same guitar as above, but no active pickups, and in red colour:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product2407.html
Quote by connorhxcchaos
It doesnt really make too much of a difference, its just the fact that you have to get used to it. The good thing about the C7 is that it has an ultra access set neck, the set neck gives you more sustain and therefore more clarity.
I think it is an extremely good guitar for the price of it just maybe if you get the chance, upgrade to dimarzios or something but schecters stock pickups arent bad at all.

C7's nice huh...I might get new pups anyway. Recommendations for mahogany set neck 7's?

@User_Name336: Dude those guitars ROCK. Thank you for the amazing recommendation. But I'm in Indonesia...importing them will be too expensive. Maybe when I (IF I) get into grad school in the US some day...
I don't understand how you can not want active pickups, and then want as much clarity as possible at the same time. That's an oxymoron. Active pickups have way more clarity and articulation than passives. They're also the most versatile type of pickup, because they are much more transparent than passives.

Anyway, for your price range, this is probably your best bet. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Damien-Elite-7-Electric-Guitar-105804694-i1503914.gc

If you still feel the need to not have actives, then you can switch them out when you get some more money.

Although, IMO. 7+ string guitars sound like complete crap with passive pickups. Most passives weren't designed for the low frequencies of the 7th string. The lower you drop it, the worse it'll get.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Chris Broderick uses DiMarzio Passives on his 7. He's got fantastic tone. Just sayin'. Vai, Petrucci, so on and so forth. The thing is, they use/used basswood guitars. I dunno what pups to use with mahogany.

And, Will actives give me the cleans I want? If you say actives are THAT good then I'm willing to take another look at them. What do you recommend? Remember that good cleans are also very important.
I don't know much about SD Blackouts, as I've never tried them, but as far as EMG is concerned, the 60 and the 89 are both very good in the neck for cleans. A lot of it has to do with your amp too. The more headroom you have, the easier it will be to get cleans out.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No amp, bro. Line6 PODX3 Live straight to PC for recording/mixer for live applications. Actives work in this situation?

Basically Actives sound tinny and metallic to my ears. I need a good balance between fullness/balls and tightness/clarity.
Quote by connorhxcchaos
Check out the Schecter Omen 7 Extreme, has all the specs that you said.

thats the one i thought of, i nearly got one of those a couple of years ago but i saved the money for my epiphone instead... dont regreat anything =)
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
while were on the topic of agiles i have a question because im considering getting one myself

is there any model that dont have licensed floyd roses....i dont go for them(bad experiences)
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
while were on the topic of agiles i have a question because im considering getting one myself

is there any model that dont have licensed floyd roses....i dont go for them(bad experiences)

yes, there's ones that have string thru for 6/7/8 string, TOM for 6 string, Bigsby for 6 string, stoptail for 6/7/8 string, and strat bridge on strat copies for 6 string... 8 strings with trem are kahler locking if thats anything to you...
Last edited by User_Name336 at Aug 5, 2010,