For Christmas someone gave me a Peavey Rotor Special kids guitar. Sweet, I know. Since it's a gift it's pretty special to me, but as you can guess it's very poor in terms of playability. It plays almost exactly like my old First Act, mediocore at best, and I'd like for it to play a little better. Is there any 'customization' I can do besides putting on superor quality strings? I know information is lacking, but would it be possible to install a new bridge/pickups on the thing, or would I get laughed at for asking a guitar shop to install EMG's to a kids guitar...
You'll probably get "laughed" at, but you can then you can tell them to **** off and that you're getting the stuff installed at the other music store across the town.

The deciding factor for me for upgrading a guitar is the quality of the woods used for the neck, fretboard, and body. If it's a plywood body for instance, I'd just throw it away 'cause it'll never sound as good as it could.
Youll get laughed at honestly. If it was a full-sized guitar, it would be good to up.
Also, you dont really need to take the guitar to a tech to get EMGs put in. They have a quick connect or whatever the hell its called system.
..I was watching my death.
with some simple mods it would be playable
i fix up old first acts all the time its fun and gives me something to do
I was just wondering if it's possible to equip better pickups to a kids guitar, I've read before that sometimesin order to install pickups a guitar must be cut to make room, which isn't possible in some instances. As far as the wood goes, I have no idea. The box is long gone and for the life of me can't find any specs on the thing. Any time I search for a Peavey Rotor Special the results show a $799 guitar, which mine is clearly not lol. Is thier any way to tell what kind of wood this thing is made of? If it helps it's incredibly light, so light I think it has a negative weight.
Quote by Idontcare222
it's very poor in terms of playability
How so? Intonation? Warped or sticky neck? Fret buzz?
If you can nail down what is causing this, it can be fixed.
Quote by Idontcare222
Is there any 'customization' I can do besides putting on superor quality strings?
1) ensure the neck is straight.
2) ensure the frets are level.
3) ensure intonation is correct.
You may find all these things make a tremendous difference.
Quote by Idontcare222
would it be possible to install a new bridge/pickups on the thing
Yes, but don't do that until you set it up properly. Set it up properly, then see if you still want to make other changes.
Quote by Idontcare222
would I get laughed at for asking a guitar shop to install EMG's to a kids guitar...
Absolutely. But that shouldn't necessarily stop you.
Is it possible to make a really cheap guitar playable? Yes, I've done it but there's much more to it than simply installing new pickups. (Refretting is one thing) Also, If its a kid's guitar the scale length is likely to be shorter than a Fender Mustang. That's something to keep in mind.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.