Page 1 of 2
So guys, how do you view yourself? How do you act around others?

http://www.pre-- wait, maybe you guys should just talk about it instead.

But the test that used to be there gave me this:
"Your ego index was: 15
People think you are shy, nervous, and indecisive, someone who needs looking after, who always wants someone else to make the decisions and who doesn't want to get involved with anyone or anything. They see you as a worrier who always sees problems that don't exist. Some people think you're boring. Only those who know you well know that you aren't."

I used to be exactly like that. I still don't have much confidence but I'm trying to get myself to do stuff and go out of my comfort zone, and all that's really changed is that I don't care as much now.

But it was hard being nervous because I'd be nervous that people could tell how nervous I was and this would make me more nervous. I didn't like to talk a lot because of how nervous I was, I wouldn't be able to think of what I was going to say very clearly, and I'd word a sentence really oddly, or say something retarded, or my voice would crack and shake. I was also indecisive when it came to hanging out with people, but mostly because I want to pick a day and time that's good for them, not me.

A few months ago, I would be really really nervous about posting a thread and maybe write out the whole thing only to not post it.
Last edited by Miniskirt at Aug 5, 2010,
Your ego index was: 23

Your friends see you as painstaking and fussy. They see you as very cautious, extremely careful, a slow and steady plodder. It'd really surprise them if you ever did something impulsively or on the spur of the moment, expecting you to examine everything carefully from every angle and then, usually decide against it. They think this reaction is caused partly by your careful nature.

I don't think this is completely true because I tend to be either extremely overconfident or not confident at all. But I guess this describes how I am right now.

I'm definitely a lot more confident than I used to be, though. When I was 12 I didn't have any friends not because I was weird or anything, but because I thought they'd stop being friends with me after a while. I had stranger anxiety for a longer time than most people, too.
cat
Your ego index was: 23
Your friends see you as painstaking and fussy. They see you as very cautious, extremely careful, a slow and steady plodder. It'd really surprise them if you ever did something impulsively or on the spur of the moment, expecting you to examine everything carefully from every angle and then, usually decide against it. They think this reaction is caused partly by your careful nature.

What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

I got 14.

Around people I'm very quiet and very reserved. I usually keep to myself. It's more out of habit now than anything. I just don't know how to interact with people since I spent a large portion of my life with the mentality that people were all evil beings who wanted to strip and humiliate me. Yeah, I was a self-consious mother****er. Now I feel like I'm just like that 'cuz I don't know how to be anything else. Except when I'm playing guitar. I can get up on stage with a guitar in hand, start playing, enjoy it, jump around, and leaving anything else offstage. A crowd of none or 1000 doesn't make a difference to me.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Took that test. Got 30.

Test was stupid. My favorite color definitely determines how big my ego is

Favorite color is on like 95% of these kind of quizzes on the internet. Body language sure does though.
The test says my ego index is 24:

It's fairly accurate I suppose, but I'm definitely NOT painstaking and fussy. I'm careful and like to analyze the situation at hand, but I generally have the "go with the flow" attitude. I kind of picked it up in college, and as a result, my social skills have improved immensely. Easygoing = less stress = more comfortable = more confident = better social skills. Though, I try to be confident in an understated way, as to not come off as cocky.
Your ego index was: 36

Others see you as sensible, cautious, careful and practical. They see you as clever, gifted, or talented, but modest...Not a person who makes friends too quickly or easily, but someone who's extremely loyal to friends you do make and who expect the same loyalty in return. Those who really get to know you realize it takes a lot to shake your trust in your friends, but equally that it takes you a long time to get over it if that trust is ever broken.

What the ****? I have no ego, and most people veiw me as useless and boring, not gifted and trustworthy. Questions were also stupid.
Your ego index was: 26

Pfft, I'm the opposite of that
Quote by Dirge Humani
Took that test. Got 30.

Test was stupid. My favorite color definitely determines how big my ego is

Definitely.

But it was weird, my results were pretty accurate. 0.o

Quote by That test, which I decided to give a name in my quote.
Your ego index was: 18

People think you are shy, nervous, and indecisive, someone who needs looking after, who always wants someone else to make the decisions and who doesn't want to get involved with anyone or anything. They see you as a worrier who always sees problems that don't exist. Some people think you're boring. Only those who know you well know that you aren't.

So, yeah...
Your ego index was: 31

Others see you as sensible, cautious, careful and practical. They see you as clever, gifted, or talented, but modest...Not a person who makes friends too quickly or easily, but someone who's extremely loyal to friends you do make and who expect the same loyalty in return. Those who really get to know you realize it takes a lot to shake your trust in your friends, but equally that it takes you a long time to get over it if that trust is ever broken.

I'm ****ing awesome.
Your ego index was: 35

Shit, pretty close except for the talented part.
"Others see you as sensible, cautious, careful and practical. They see you as clever, gifted, or talented, but modest...Not a person who makes friends too quickly or easily, but someone who's extremely loyal to friends you do make and who expect the same loyalty in return. Those who really get to know you realize it takes a lot to shake your trust in your friends, but equally that it takes you a long time to get over it if that trust is ever broken."

A lot of that seems true, but there are a few little bubbles of bollocks floating around in it. And the rest borders on cold reading.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by SlayingDragons
Definitely.

But it was weird, my results were pretty accurate. 0.o

So, yeah...

Body language is a good indicator. I agree with Dirge on the colour thing whether or not he was being sarcastic. But you also got a low ego on that test, and we're more agreeable and less incendiary, so therefore, if you're like me, you just agree with the most blunt sounding person because they sound like they're right.

Maybe, anyway. I'm no psychologist.

EDIT: Like walking fast (as your normal walk) could mean you're nervous, not confident, how you sit relates to body image, whether you fidget when talking to people also could be body image or low self-esteem, lack of confidence. People who are shy are usually also not very "open" in the way they sit. I mean, if you don't like your body you don't want it to be seen, right?

Also my immediate reaction was a feeling of insecurity even though every post I've seen from Dirge has been sarcastic.
Your ego index was: 31

They described me better than I could.

People think you are shy, nervous, and indecisive, someone who needs looking after, who always wants someone else to make the decisions and who doesn't want to get involved with anyone or anything. They see you as a worrier who always sees problems that don't exist. Some people think you're boring. Only those who know you well know that you aren't.

Cool, I got the answer that's designed to apply to anybody.
SHEdit: So did you^!

Next.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Your ego index was: 32

32, I think that's good I guess.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Your ego index was: 17

Vague reading is vague.
Just to put this in proportion, this site also offers an "astral compatibility test". This test is probably pure bollocks they made up in 5 minutes.
Quote by whalepudding
Just to put this in proportion, this site also offers an "astral compatibility test". This test is probably pure bollocks they made up in 5 minutes.

To be honest, I didn't want to base the thread around that.
I meant that the ego test being on the same site as an astrology quiz doesn't help its credibility.
Quote by whalepudding
I meant that the ego test being on the same site as an astrology quiz doesn't help its credibility.

Yes, I know. I'm saying I wanted people to talk about it rather than to just post answers from a test that only has 2 (though I didn't know that at first ). But I included it because it'd be interesting to see how it compared to how everybody actually thought.
Quote by Miniskirt
How's your ego?
Just fine.
And I don't need to bother with a test to reassure me of the confidence I have in myself.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Irrelevant. The "ego" is a man made notion. We are animals.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Is it egotistical to just not give a fuck?
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by ripple07

So who is "man" if we're animals?

We are of course literally animals but we're at least a little more intelligent and complex than other animals. Animals may have symbiotic relationships, but we are kinda divided in a way that some of us want to save other animals (WWF, shelters). I don't know too many animals that have that kind of care for others. And so man came up with a way to explain the idea of self or lack of and we came up with ego. I figure the best kinda people to ask are the man kind since ego is, as you say, a man made notion.

EDIT: @ Zombee, I guess that depends whether you don't give a fuck about yourself, or you don't give a fuck about others. Or both.
Quote by ripple07

It's no more man made than the notion of relevance or the notion of notions. And how does the fact that it's a man-made notion - just like any abstract concept - make it irrelevant? And irrelevant to what, exactly?

...You wouldn't be that pretentious bellend who posted in another thread, trying to say that you knew for a fact that it was impossible to know anything for a fact, would you?
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by Miniskirt

We are of course literally animals but we're at least a little more intelligent and complex than other animals. Animals may have symbiotic relationships, but we are kinda divided in a way that some of us want to save other animals (WWF, shelters). I don't know too many animals that have that kind of care for others. And so man came up with a way to explain the idea of self or lack of and we came up with ego. I figure the best kinda people to ask are the man kind since ego is, as you say, a man made notion.

Animals are chemical reactions.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ripple07
Animals are chemical reactions.

There are also some people who have lesser intelligence, though like to think that they don't.

EDIT: Do/don't kerfuffle.
Quote by Miniskirt
There are also some people who have lesser intelligence, though think that they do.

Do you think the ego can be controlled? Or is it the cause of everything we do?
Quote by Gabel
I got a 24.

LIES
Quote by ripple07
Do you think the ego can be controlled? Or is it the cause of everything we do?

Neither, I think of it as an influence. We can influence it, too, i.e. conditioning yourself, like getting better at public speaking by just doing it. (EDIT: ) Self-confidence isn't ego, but self-confidence can maybe have an impact on self-esteem and self-importance. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's probably best to be somewhere in the middle.

If you like to think of us as animals, then I think that ego/id/superego all came along with the evolution of our brains.

EDITx2: Basically, Freud came up with the ego/id as a theory. And if we have the capacity to theorize, and complex emotions, I'd say it's definitely a possible concept.
Quote by Miniskirt
Neither, I think of it as an influence. We can influence it, too, i.e. conditioning yourself, like getting better at public speaking by just doing it. (EDIT: ) Self-confidence isn't ego, but self-confidence can maybe have an impact on self-esteem and self-importance. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's probably best to be somewhere in the middle.

If you like to think of us as animals, then I think that ego/id/superego all came along with the evolution of our brains.

EDITx2: Basically, Freud came up with the ego/id as a theory. And if we have the capacity to theorize, and complex emotions, I'd say it's definitely a possible concept.

I was just saying the animal stuff to see how your ego would respond. Your response was rational. What does this say about your ego?
Quote by Gabel
Quote by Miniskirt

Too late now...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Go be a loser somewhere else.

I know I am the fucking A-Team.

I will not waste my time with this test.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Too late now...

On another topic, does anybody feel empathy for canned worms or do you care about yourself too much?

Page 1 of 2