So, I hear these amp are pretty popular here.
I wanna buy one. Not now, but in the future. Like during Christmas.
Gonna buy the 900 dollar one with the 4x12" cab.
Here's the dilema:
A 4x12" cab is too big and heavy to haul around just to practices. For gigs it's gonna come with me. What I plan on doing is building a 2x12" Cab to go along with it, with Jensen Jets, which are supposed to be ridiculously light. This particular one has a 7 oz. magnet on it. That's really ****ing light for a magnet. Expensive to though.

Now, here's my real problem:
I need to know the dimensions of the bottom of the cab, and the spaceing of the casters. By that I mean the space of the edge, on the X and Y axis to the stem.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, gotta also add:
The 2x12" cab will be used on my Behringer V-Ampire LX-1200H for the time being. Build threads will be made over in GB&C when this is all planned out.

I also plan on making this with the Peavey logo, which I can get at Antique Electronics Supply(Tubesandmore.com)

Thanks for the help, but only if you help
..I was watching my death.
Can't you just measure a 2x12" cab that you like somewhere?
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Can't you just measure a 2x12" cab that you like somewhere?

Nope. Needs to match the dimensions of the Valveking cab, otherwise it'd be too big or too small.
Quote by shredtil'yadead
66cm long by 49cm tall

i own the 2x12 combo btw

Thanks a ton.
Don't get the Valveking cabinet, the speakers are awful. Go for a used Mesa 4x12 or something.

I'd also advise doing the Mesa mod and getting an equalizer pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Don't get the Valveking cabinet, the speakers are awful. Go for a used Mesa 4x12 or something.

I'd also advise doing the Mesa mod and getting an equalizer pedal.

Can you specify what's wrong with it?
Does it make inaudible noise when the low is turned to 10? Just like my ****ing Spider II.

By Mesa mod, you mean getting the Mesa cab right?
I also already have a 31-Band EQ setup in the line out on my rig. My Current amp is an 1977 Ampeg VT-40. The best amp ever. But the problem is, it's way to heavy.
I wanna amp made for Metal, and one with an actuall warranty. Another problem with my current amp is this one triple diode power tube, or something like that. Very hard to find. Costs approx. 80 dollars just to replace.

I have actually been debating whether to just buy the head, and buy a used speaker cab. They always go up on Castanet(Local used listings). But, I wonder about the quality of most of them. Generally, with the speaker surrounds of that time, they usually gave out after 20 years. Just like these PA speakers I got. And I ****ing suck at replacing surrounds. I gotta re-surround replace one of my PA speakers, cause the voice coil hits the side of the case. now, you wont understand what I'm saying unless you know your shit about speakers.

So, I got a new question now that dimensions are out of the way:

List all of the thing that are wrong with the Valveking 100 and Cab.
Every small little thing.

Thanks.
Quote by timbit2006
Can you specify what's wrong with it?

Thanks.

The cab is fine. The speakers are muddy and flat sounding. Replacing 4 speakers gets expensive.

I wanna amp made for Metal

Then the VK is not for you.
Quote by Jason43
The cab is fine. The speakers are muddy and flat sounding. Replacing 4 speakers gets expensive.

Then the VK is not for you.

Yeah, I'm not really firm on the idea of getting a Valveking cab.

I will disagree with you. With enough work, any amp can work for metal. With the right gear to go with it.

I play for a metal band. VK sounds good if you mod it. You will at least need a dummy jack and a tubescreamer and it would be suggested to get an EQ pedal.
Look for the head used (they're getting cheaper!) and buy a 2x12 cab elsewhere. If you have to have the 4 speakers i'd just buy two 2x12 cabs >_>
The Mesa mod has nothing to do with a Mesa cabinet. It's a circuit mod that affects the distortion channel, making it sound more like a Mesa/Boogie. You can hear it in action here:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ilya-v/

If you have an EQ, I will say you can definitely coax metal tones out of the Valveking.

Also, the Valveking speakers are cheap (in a bad way), muddy, flat, flabby and generally just don't sound very nice. They do the amp a disservice, really. The VK, being a dark-voiced amp to begin with, could use brighter speakers to balance things out somewhat.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 5, 2010,
I understand that you like the VK, and while I think it's a decent amp for modern punk and maybe hardcore you can get amps for the same price new that will be much better without needing mods like a JCA100 for example. Why buy a Corolla and mod it to Porsche specs when for the same money you can just buy a Porsche?
So my browser keeps ****ing crahing when I hit reply...
****!
Good thing theres the prt scrn button.
Read up in the Valveking thread, it will tell you everything you need to know.

The 'dummy jack trick' is plugging the guitar into the second input and running a patch cable or adapter in the first input. For some reason, it pads the VK's signal and gives you a slight boost, as well as more bass and less noise than running in the first input.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Read up in the Valveking thread, it will tell you everything you need to know.

The 'dummy jack trick' is plugging the guitar into the second input and running a patch cable or adapter in the first input. For some reason, it pads the VK's signal and gives you a slight boost, as well as more bass and less noise than running in the first input.

Will do. Didn't realize there was a thread for the VK.

I don't understand why that would be.
The manual says that one of the inputs is louder than the other, and when a guitar or something is plugged into the other one, both inputs will be the same. That's what the manual says anyways.
The manual LIESSSSSSSSSS.

Anyway, yeah, you get the clarity of input 2 with the oomph of input 1 when you do the dummy jack trick. Running the EQ in the loop will also help with some problem frequencies the VK has.

Also, you probably won't need to mod your DOD Death Metal, the VK's distortion will eat it alive once you run an EQ in there. ESPECIALLY when running a 3/4 stack setup.

I'm not sure you'll need 15" speakers though, unless you want to have dubstep bass coming off your rig, at which point you'd be running into your bassist's territory. I'm not sure just how much extra bass the VK100 with a 4x12 has over the 112 (the 112 lacks some bass, IMO)

As for cabs, I'd recommend a Mesa 412 and an Avatar 212, or run a Mesa 212 as well if you can.

If you really want to get the place shaking, get a ported Emperor 212, or even a 215... the ports add directionality and really cause your cab to get more punchy. What was previously a punch to the gut becomes a train to the gut, if you will.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 6, 2010,
****ING BROWSER KEEPS CRASHING!
That's it. I'm saving all of my posts to a word document before clicking reply.

So, what I said was:

My EQs got a Volume control if that changes anything. Needs a new pot though. So much dirt in it. Pot Cleaner wont work in this situation.
Im gonna mod my DOD Death Metal anyways, 'cause it's about 4 bucks in parts, and 0 in labour. 'Cause I do it.

I want a really ****ing bassy sound. The bassist in my band uses ass-loads of distortion. He's a good player though. Gotta give him an intervention or something

Do you got any budget options? I don't even have a job right now.
What do you think of the Celestion Rocket 50s, and Seventy 80s?
The rockets in the 2x12" the 80s in the 4x12"
I would make all the cabs myself, making it fully customized to my specs.

I don't really get the benefits of ports in a guitar amp. Explain maybe?

Thanks.
The Seventy 80s are terrible speakers. If you want a good Celestion on the cheap, look at Warehouse Speakers. They tell you which ones are clones of which Celestions.

Ports allow air to move into and out of the cabinet. Most cabinets are sealed and have no openings, or ports, to speak of, which is said to provide a 'tighter' sound at the cost of less bass. Ports, however, retain the 'tight' character while adding more bass, by virtue of being 'tuned' to enhance specific frequencies, therefore throwing more of that frequency in a particular direction. Most ports are directed to the front of the cab, thus making them more 'directionally focused' than typical sealed cabs.

Often, ports are accompanied by a closed back, greater increasing the directional movement of air and sound waves, because the sound has nowhere else to go except out the front.

Ports, requiring more effort to design and construct, often cost more than regular cabinets, but it may be worth it for you.

TL;DR - Ports project particular frequencies, usually bass frequencies, giving you more oomph and punch.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Ports are easy to make. PVC Pipe almost touching the back of the cab. If your extreme anal about it, you'd rout out a lip, so the edge of the PVC is not visible.

I'll make sure to check that site out.

I dunno if I still wanna build my own. I can actually get better quality speakers in a used cab. I'll have to look around I gues.
You can get a used Mesa 412 for around $400 if you look hard enough, and a 212 for around $250... Emperor cabinets will run you a bit more money, because they're all custom built to your specifications.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
My budget is right up around the $350 valley, but I could go $400.
I don't need anything cutom right now, If I were to go the custom route, as in building it myself.
When I get 400 bucks, I'll keep an eye out for VKs and Mesa cabs on eBay and Craigslist.