hi everyone please forgive me if this is a stupid question but can anyone learn to play guitar??i have always wanted to learn the guitar and now have the time to try.i have looked at lots of internet sites and briefly flicked through "BEGINNERS" books and really dont know where to start.....i would just like to be able to play at home and hopefully play a tune at least i would recognise....
lessons...books...dvd....internet...??????
any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance..
Anyone, except people without two arms.

Work out a budget, and look for a used acoustic. Best place to start. Then, watch some youtube videos on basic guitar lessons.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
yeah anyone can learn, youre probably best off getting a few lessons from someone in person to get the basics down and learn how to read either tabs or notation then after that its all a matter of practice and getting the right technique
Well, the internet is great...I would suggest taking advantage of some of the great lessons on this site alone.

I would start with getting familiar with your instrument. Knowing what each part of the guitar is, what it does, etc.

Then I would focus on being able to fret notes properly and also, how to hold your pick..

Starting out it's good to make sure you avoid any "bad habits", so take it slow.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
yes anyone can learn
you could start of by learning how to read tablature or sheet music
and this site has many helpful articles
Quote by connorhxcchaos
youre probably best off getting a few lessons from someone in person

Not necessarily. A lot of the more famous guitarists of the 1960s and 1970s never had lessons. There's a certain something about being able to claim you're self taught, and that's something that's rare in modern guitarists.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Anyone can learn i suppose, you just need a guitar. I'm lucky my dad plays. You dont even have to have those books, I'm self taught, I'm shit but I love playing guitar. But it depends what you want to do with a guitar. If you dont have a guitar i suggest getting one of those starter packs (<£100) and if you dont enjoy it then you've only spent the minimum amount of money. Hope that makes sense.
Quote by pwrmax
You win this thread. You get a cookie, except there's no cookie smiley so here's a llama

Very proud owner of (1) lolstack(s)
Quote by Stugg334

Quote by Retro_jetro
If you dont have a guitar i suggest getting one of those starter packs (<£100)

No. Do not do this. Starter pack guitars are almost exclusively RUBBISH and you can get a far better second hand guitar for your £100, or whatever your budget is. I made this mistake - within six months of buying my first shitty Ibanez start pack, I had bought a new guitar.

Quote by seemeel
No. Do not do this. Starter pack guitars are almost exclusively RUBBISH and you can get a far better second hand guitar for your £100, or whatever your budget is. I made this mistake - within six months of buying my first shitty Ibanez start pack, I had bought a new guitar.

Because you found you enjoyed it. You would of had no experience without the starter packs, which i admit are shit. But they're better than £100 for guitar, £100 for an amp then cables etc.
Quote by pwrmax
You win this thread. You get a cookie, except there's no cookie smiley so here's a llama

Very proud owner of (1) lolstack(s)
Quote by Stugg334

If you know a person who plays guitar, ask him to help you get on the right track. it helped me a lot to start off. After that you need to practice a lot
Quote by Retro_jetro
Because you found you enjoyed it.

Yes, yes I did. And now, I'm onto my 7th guitar... be careful, it gets expensive!

Quote by seemeel
Yes, yes I did. And now, I'm onto my 7th guitar... be careful, it gets expensive!

wow, just your 7th? i have 7 atm, and im getting my 8th soon. been playing just over a year and a half.. but thats including my uke and banjo :')
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Is a great place to teach yourself from the ground up, and of course this website is the best to guide you/ kick back and just socialize, and there are articles and posts for beginners, where those are I'm not too sure of, but they exist somewhere.

Guitar is a b*****d of an instrument to learn at first, but just keep at it and you'll do fine.

***Post edited by emad***

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by seemeel
Anyone, except people without two arms.

I've seen someone play guitar with their feet before. It was awesome.