I am having a problem with sweep picking arpeggios both hands are ok
and synced the problem remains that there is too much string noise
(unwanted) which i cant get rid off.
Any tips on how to mute the unwanted strings? or notes?
rest the fleshy part on your thumb on the strings on the way down and then palm on the way back up , works for me
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Try to not lift your fingers so high off the strings - yes i know it sounds so minute and so frustratingly simple but it's true, and it's stupidly hard to master.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Left hand: Make sure that when you are sweeping, your fingers are muting the strings below them. It's their job to neutralize all excess noise that the Right Hand can't.

Right hand: This is simple Palm Muting mechanics. Be sure, to always use palm muting on the strings that aren't being played.

Check out Freepower's finger independance exercises, as well. They'll help loads with the Left Hand aspect.
thank you all for your help

Quote by Faded Grey

Right hand: This is simple Palm Muting mechanics. Be sure, to always use palm muting on the strings that aren't being played.

I tried that but its making the strings sound muted and not clean
as if im intentionally muting the strings
and also where should the position of hand be?
Quote by kalabhavan

Uh, you are intentionally muting the strings. If they're not ringing, you're doing the job right. If they are, that kind of problem is quite hard to analyze with out seeing the right hand technique. Maybe, your palm isn't muting all the strings like it should be? Do you have a video camera? If so, I'd reccomend you to maybe put a vid up in the Technique Analysis Thread, that could help loads.

As for the hand positioning: it's really where's comfortable for you. Try out different areas. You might dig being closer to the bridge, maybe up closer to the neck if your forte. Just, find the best area for you
Quote by kalabhavan
thank you all for your help

You must practice and get your hand placement correct such that you are not muting the current string you are "sweeping" but only the ones above it.

Ive started teaching myself sweeping, and really everyone who says dont bother with it until you and do this this and this fluently are pretty much right.. I can get a decent sweep sequence probably half the time, yet most of the time I find myself trying to adjust my posture and positioning to the *ideal*

To sweep great Ive realized like others often say, everything else must be perfect.

In a nutshell, when youre sweeping down, mute the strings with your palm, and as your sweeping up, use the fleshy parts of your fingers.

Personally I would work on keeping everything quite without any palm muting at all, from what Ive learned and realized while working on it so far myself, palm muting is an addition, not a be all end all. Focus on your fretting fingers, make sure theyre not just flying off the strings. Make sure your fingers release the fret, but keep them on the string for a split second to stop it ringing. My major problem with ringing strings is exactly this, Ill accidentally do a pull off on an open string when I release because I am trying to keep everything in sync, moving too fast, and my fingers just arent as adept as I would like to think they are some times :P

You'll get it. Like I said I am no pro or real authority, I just know what Ive learned from trying to learn this technique myself.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Last edited by glenthemann at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by kalabhavan

I find it helps if you move your wrist a bit with the flow of it.
Quote by !-twisty-!
rest the fleshy part on your thumb on the strings on the way down and then palm on the way back up , works for me

Down and up in pitch ? or across the neck ? and resting the fleshy part of my thumb is leading to producing artificial harmonics.

Thanks anyways
Quote by kalabhavan
Down and up in pitch ? or across the neck ? and resting the fleshy part of my thumb is leading to producing artificial harmonics.

Thanks anyways

are you ****ing retarded?

maybe you should jsut put down the guitar if you cannot figure something like this out without having to have your hand held like a god damned baby.

DOWN as in when you are sweeping DOWNWARDS, aka, moving your hand towards the ground. And if you cannot figure out what UP is then I seriously think you should think about my previous sentence.

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Whoa.

Chill out. Generally speaking musicians refer to musical pitch rather than physical direction - and regardless, if you see someone asking for help, it's pretty obvious that they're having trouble figuring it out themselves. Warned.
ah whatever, had a very bad day, my apologies.

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
a way to cheat out of unwanted string noise which really isn't a cheat is to move away from the 5th, 7th, and 12th frets because when you lift your finger you cause the harmonics.

you probably already know this but it'll help to mute the other frets, then move closer to 12th or 7th harmonic as you progress