Hi! I've wanted to play guitar for a while now, and last night I was taught guitar instead of drums like normal! He let me play bass and lead, and I enjoyed and found it easier to play electric guitar over the rest. So I've decided to take the plunge and invest in a guitar!
So, onto equipment... I would like to set my budget for a guitar and an amp at £250, but cheaper is always better! For a guitar I've had my eyes on Yamaha Pacifica and Ibanez GIO. For an amp, possibly a Line 6 Spider IV 15, or a Marshall MG15CD. If there are any more suggestions please let me know, and could anyone recommend a good guitar/amp combo? Thanks for any help!
What kind of music do you play?Ampwise for heavier stuff look for a Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr. For lighter stuff maybe a Vox Valvetronix. Avoid the Spiders and MG's.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
avoid mgs and spiders definatley, id recommend a jhs vintage guitar, they are great guitars and you can get them dirt cheap if you shop around
I'd also second going for a Vintage brand guitar, I've got 4 and they are great.

I know you've said what kind of guitars you'd had your eye on, but was that due to price/having been recommended them already or do you prefer that style?

It's been asked, but what kinda stuff DO you want to play?
I can't recommend Roland's Cube range highly enough. They are brilliant beginner amps. The fender Squire guitars are okay... Pacificas are good, as are the LTD cheapies.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
For Amps I definitely recommend Vox Valvetronix.. no Spider or MGs (you will outgrow them very quickly).
My first guitar was an Ibanez GIO and it was alright, guess you can't go too wrong on that.

Oh, cheaper is NOT better! you should definitely invest some money (no huge amounts, but decent... 250 pounds sounds decent for a beginner) because you won't have much fun learning on a crappy guitar that breaks your fingers (exaggerating with the broken fingers xD).
I'd also second the Roland Cube/Micro Cube amps, they will give you a decent amount of variety for amp voices for a pretty reasonable price.
OK, thanks for all this help! I've noted down Roland Cube on my list of possibilities, up near the top from these opinions! My music tastes are in rock, and metal, so I would definitely say I would like to play heavier stuff.
I've looked at the Roland Cube, finding the 15 watt version for £70 at the cheapest. I don't think I could afford anything more powerful. So if I said £250 was my ABSOLUTE max, that would leave me £180 for a guitar. I would obviously like to go cheaper than that, but would be more than willing to go to that limit. The ones I listed in my first post were based on price and recommendations for that price range, but I would love to get some more opinions on here.
Any more about these vintage brand guitars from JHS? I'm having a look on that website now, but could definitely do with some advice on that!
Cool man. You could go second hand on the amp and get yourself even better than a cube, or go for a bigger cube lol. They are actually pretty smart.

JHS Vintage guitars - they are sold to retailers at straight from the factory prices, not set up or anything. It's up to the retailer to do that if they wish to but they generally don't and it's reflected in the price. A set up would normally be about £35-45 so not too dear anyway.

If I were you, I'd try them out, but don't know where the nearest dealer to you is. Best to try before you buy with anything anyway.

Hardware - it's Wilkinson hardware on them and my guitars are SOLID. The Wilkinson pickups are also MILES above regular stock PUs IMO. I'm keeping mine in my guitars.

I've got:
a V100 Les Paul style in honeyburst
a V6 Strat style in Laguna blue
a VV60 in black, but I've got one of only two they produced in black
and a VE300 Electro-acoustic in black

I've got other guitars, (Schecter, Epiphone, have had Jacksons etc) but I'll certainly be checking these out before I move to other brands.

Any questions about the guitars, I'm happy to do my best to answer as someone who owns a few but JHS are really good with their customer service too.
When you say 'not set up', what does that actually mean? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I don;t want to buy a guitar that's in pieces.
Something I've seen with a few searches, is this, which seems like a pretty awesome deal to me. I'll obviously have to try one out before I do though. Now I'm quite concerned that I may have to put the guitar together myself! Any thoughts on that link?
Yamaha pacifica 112s are the best choice for a first guitar IMO. Versitile pickup configuration, easy to play and good build quality that even experienced players can get on with.
Setup refers to the adjustments one can make on a guitar. Setting up a guitar means adjusting it so that it's in it's optimal playing condition. Don't worry about assembling - you'll never have to do that, unless you intentionally want to.

As for amps, It's my opinion that the Peavey Vypyr is the best beginner amp you can get - I still play mine occasionally. It's really a very good amp, and I'll recommend it over the Cubes and Spiders and MGs and Frontmans for days. It's just a really good amp for how much it costs.

As always, try both, and get the one that sounds best to your ear.

I'd go with an Ibanez Gio - they don't sound the best, but they really are pretty solid beginner guitars. You won't be able to find a very good guitar in that price range in the first place. But you can definitely find guitars that are worth more than their price tags.

Can you go used? You'll get way more bang out of your buck that way, and the used market is pretty much a rule of thumb for all musicians.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by dazzlestar
When you say 'not set up', what does that actually mean? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I don;t want to buy a guitar that's in pieces.
Something I've seen with a few searches, is this, which seems like a pretty awesome deal to me. I'll obviously have to try one out before I do though. Now I'm quite concerned that I may have to put the guitar together myself! Any thoughts on that link?

What Offworld92 said, about set up.

It's not a stupid question, you have to ask if in doubt.

The SG style guitar is a good guitar. It'd be a good guitar to play on, should sound pretty awesome and it should hold tune solid. I'd say if you were going to get an SG style guitar you might want to get a leather or suede guitar strap. They might cost just a wee bit more, but it'll make things more comfortable to play if you're gonna be playing standing up. If you don't reckon that'll be straight away anyway then it's not even really an issue lol.

Sound/Tone-wise and as far as quality of wood and hardware goes, I'd recommend this, or a Yamaha Pacifica over the Ibanez Gios any day though.
Sorry for going on about set-up, but do you think the changes needed could be done by the amateur guitarist that I am? I suppose I could always get my teacher to help!
I've now narrowed amp down to either the Roland Cube, or Peavey Vypyr if I was going to spend a bit more.
I think I'm going to ignore the Ibanez GIO, and maybe even the Yamaha Pacifica out of my guitar choice. The Vintage guitar I linked to is now near the top of my list, along with the possibility of a used guitar. I've always relied on used stuff with drums, and I guess reliability is the same with guitar? Once again, thanks for all the help.
Sorry for double posting, but I'm now becoming seriously confused! I'm genuinely interested in these Vintage guitars, and even though they aren't really suited for metal by the sounds of it, they can pump out some awesome classic rock! Do you think metal would be playable on them? I came across this item, which has really sparked my interest! There are so many models of that brand though, it really is starting to confuse me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
That should do the job pretty much,the SG is more or less a rock guitar, think AC/DC etc.If you want a more modern metal sound any half decent distortion pedal will do the job regardless of which guitar you choose.Twin humbuckers is probably the way to go if you consider alot of metal guitarists us this pickup configeration,it's a thicker and generally more powerful sound than single coiled guitars but it will come down to what you prefer and I'm afraid there's only one way to find out and thats to go to a music store and try a few guitars out.
TS, the guitars themselves aren't really for any genre or another - you can use any guitar for any genre. With the right amp, you can make any guitar sound any way.

Your amp is the most important part of your sound. The guitar is what you need to change if you're not comfortable playing.

That SG has 2 humbucker pickups, so it'll be fine for anything. Single Coils (as the Pacifica has) aren't really that good for metal, though they can be used for it. It depends on what kind of sound you want.

Also, I again suggest the Peavey Vypyr as an amp. I'm telling you, it's better than the Roland. It sounds much better and has a lot more useful, precise features.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I agree with Offworld on the Vypyr suggestion. A 15 watter can get really loud at about 5, and can go up to 13. It has more amp models than the Cube and its especially good at delivering a metal tone.
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
I wouldn't recommend the GIOs. I had one when I first started, and the heel of the neck was HUGE. I couldn't play higher then the 12th fret comfortably.
I would recommend looking for a lower end Schecter, or a higher end Squier. I played the cheapest Schecter I could find awhile back, which was only about $350 or so, and I thought it was pretty nice.
As for Squier look for anything from the standard series, or the classic vibe series.
Also try Craigs list, and pawn shops for gear. You can find alot of good stuff by doing that.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
For budget guitars the first place I'd think to recommend is rondomusic, or just finding a really good deal on a used guitar.

Settling for a not brand spankin' new guitar will yield much better results as you'll have a guitar made of higher quality and better playability, with the same budget. Even very good condition used guitars will run at 60-70% price just because of the simple fact that they have been owned by someone. Don't make the mistake a lot of people do and spend money on a new guitar, and end up quitting because the guitar feels so cheap (which in many cases it rightly is).
Your guitar teacher will likely be able to help you set the guitar up, they aren't very difficult to set up, but it's best that you know what you are doing with it. I'd ask your teacher if it's something he'd be happy to do anyway though, just out of courtacy.

The black VS6 you'd looked at is a good guitar, it's actually something I'd looked at buying but when I went into a local music store, they had the V100 and I REALLY liked it so bought it....I'd still get one of the SG styled ones when I have the money for it and can justify buying another guitar.

As far as sound goes - the Wilkinson PUs on it will be plenty for metal, and as has been said already, lots has to do with your amp settings etc. Clarity etc is certainly not a problem. I have brought my V100 and my VV60 into the studio and let rip and they sounded outstanding, and we play grungey kinda metal. And faff about on anything from Black Sabbath to Metallica to Alice in Chains, to Pantera. Never had a problem with them for it.

Fixationdarknes recommended Rondomusic. It's definitely a good shout if you are in the States but the guitars you've been looking at are crackin' and if you are on a budget, I'd seriously say f**k that, because you'd possibly get proper humped on import tax.

If there are any decent music shops near you locally that stock the guitars you've been looking at I'd give it a look and see what you think. Means you'd get to maybe even try out the others you'd been thinking about and make up your own mind....plus if it's a decent shop, it should be ready to play like a dream for you lol.
Oh, and while I was thinking about it, the V6 I have is the strat copy.

It's got single coils and has it's own appeal with distortion but it's not exactly great for what I play so I'm going to get a Hotrail pickup fitted in it in the bridge position (coz it's pretty much the only one I'll use)....then it'll be allowed in the studio lol.

This was something I knew was going to be an outcome before I bought the guitar coz of the single coil PUs, but I've had to put a deposit down on car insurance so maybe next month lol.
Last edited by slicerlml at Aug 6, 2010,
Wow, thanks for all the great advice! I will try and get my hands on a Vypyr for a half decent price, and I would like to try out these Vintage guitars before I buy, even if it does mean waiting a bit longer and paying a bit more... Seems the opinion here is a lot more strong for them rather than the Pacifica though. Thanks for all the help, I think I've practically made my mind up now; time to look for some decent deals!
No probs man.

There are lots of places in the UK that sell the Vintage guitars, so finding one should be easy enough. Also, it won't cost too much more than ordering one online I don't reckon. If you buy it in a shop and it's not set up then tell them to get to f**k

The Vyper I will conceed is a good choice. You should have a look on Gumtree or Ebay for dealios on them second hand man. Long as they work OK!

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer.

Let us know how you get on.
Looking on the JHS website, it looks like my local music shop stock them, and hopefully they might even do me a deal on a guitar/amp combo!
I'll definitely be around these forums from now on, extremely helpful people on here!
Assuming the guy is based in the UK (as the budget is quoted in £ not $) then Rondomusic will be of no use.

Dazzlestar - I think you are on the right course already. I was thinking about the best deal I could think of for £250 before I read the thread and came up with a Vintage guitar + Peavey Vypyr 15!

My recommendation was going to be either the VS6 (SG Copy) or V99 (Les Paul copy). If you want a Les Paul style guitar & could stretch another £40 or so then the V100 would be a better bet than the V99 as the body is made from better material, it has a set neck rather than bolt-on and has better tuners.

But the price you have found for the black VS6 is very good. I don't think you can do any better than the VS6 + Peavey Vypyr 15 for just over £200! Unless of course you want to buy used, but I'm not convinced that's a great option for a beginner unless you have a guitar-playing friend who can check things out for you prior to purchase. Spend the spare cash on getting a professional setup at your local guitar shop.
get the vintage vs6 and the peavey vypyr15
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
u could get a squier strat for 100bucks but they might only last for a year/year and a half especially once u start improving ull notice problems. U could get a used mexi strat for around 300bucks which is a good budget guitar and its an official fender but if ur on a budget and ur an absolute beginner i would go with a squier and if u start to improve and u wanna stick with guitar then upgrade
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

"The future is unwritten,"-Joe Strummer
and for amp u could get a pack but i would get maybe a vyper 15watt but those r like 150bucks so u can always just get a cheap 75/100buck amp and a distortion pedal since ur just starting
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

"The future is unwritten,"-Joe Strummer
Well I took the plunge, and bought a vintage VS6 in gloss black! Problem is though that I never got to try one (please don't kill me! ), but I couldn't resist the price I got it for, at £62 for an ex-demo model in as new condition off eBay! Postage was £17.50, mind... Now I just need to look for a good price on a Peavey Vypyr 15, I guess I'll be using my sister's amp for a while... I will post pics as soon as it arrives.
Quote by dazzlestar
Well I took the plunge, and bought a vintage VS6 in gloss black! Problem is though that I never got to try one (please don't kill me! ), but I couldn't resist the price I got it for, at £62 for an ex-demo model in as new condition off eBay! Postage was £17.50, mind... Now I just need to look for a good price on a Peavey Vypyr 15, I guess I'll be using my sister's amp for a while... I will post pics as soon as it arrives.

Ya sod! I was watching that! :p

That's cool, nice one. You should get pics etc up when you get it.

For that price I think you'll have got a real bargain, even if you need minor adjestments on it. Give it a play and see how you get on. More than likely it'll be fantastic if it's been in a shop or something.