My strings get dirty really fast on my guitar. Dirt builds up particularily underneath them in days. I bought a new guitar less than a week ago and all ready the strings are filthy, underneath and all around the D string. What can I do to prevent this and/or what should I do to clean this up.
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
rub your fingertips together vigorously for about 10 seconds, and see all the little bits of black shit that appears there. Now that's the filth on your strings. wipe that shit off, wash your hands and towel dry them, and then you should be rubbing less crud into your strings.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Hmm. How to stop something being shitty? Don't put shit on it and if you do, wipe it off?

Prevention is better than cure, as has been said. Don't have dirty hands.

After you have played, wipe down the strings with a microfibre cloth, underneath as well (slot it underneath, then whip it up and down a time or two).

This will help your strings to live a touch longer too.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Wash your hands. Wipe down after you play.

That's all you can really do about it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.