Hey guys, I searched and found nothing similar, but I'm amazed this question )or similar) hasn't been asked before.

What are your opinions on you or your bandmates being in multiple bands? I want to be in one band with my close friends and another band thats 100% intent on making music and gigging and not just fooling around and having fun. Thoughts?
There's no reason why you can't. You just have to be able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time and resources to each band.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
i usually have 3-4 at any given time just for this reason.

one that gets work done and gigs, another one that gets work done but different genre, one to screw around with (with my friends) and an acoustic side project.

the line ups change all the time, but this is what i've been doing for years. keeps me really busy, but i gotta say, its a lot of fun!
why would you want to be in a band that is not about fooling around and having fun???? you could be making music, gigging and also be having fun, if you cant you should give up music...
I'm in 2 and it works well. The band I started is a cool, unique alternative rock band with drums/bass/guitar/keys/vocals which experiments a lot with different time signatures and structures etc while still making good, listenable music. It's the one I feel is most fulfilling and enjoyable. My other band is pretty much straight-out indie rock so it's much more simple, danceable and popular. The second band gets far more gigs so I'm getting the best of both worlds. I've got my musically interesting band that I write for and I've got my popular band for experience and a bit of fun.
I've never been able to work it out with two bands, I almost always have to just be in one to be successful, otherwise they both can be fun, but neither can be successful. But hey, that's just me.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
Thanks guys! So this might sound a little silly...But how would I explain I want to be in 2 bands? My friends didn't seem that crazy about me joining another band.
Quote by Sandwich8080
Thanks guys! So this might sound a little silly...But how would I explain I want to be in 2 bands? My friends didn't seem that crazy about me joining another band.

Just make sure you make it clear that you will still put in the same amount of time and energy into both bands, I'm sure he'll understand.
Quote by Sandwich8080

The first time that both bands have a gig on the same date, then you'll know why.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
yea. My guitar teacher is in 3 bands. One that he likes. and 2 covers bands hes not that crazy about, but in
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Quote by Jesus_Dean
The first time that both bands have a gig on the same date, then you'll know why.

Then he shouldn't accept the second gig because he knows his first band will have a gig that day.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
There's nothing wrong with being in one band which is ambitious and serious about gigging and recording, and at the same time being in another band that's just jamming around for fun with friends and not doing anything serious.

Explain to the other folks in your "serious" band that your other band is no different from any other activity you'd do with your close friends in your free time, and that their band will continue to take first priority. Your bandmates wouldn't object to you spending time going bowling or hiking or playing videogames with your close friends (I assume), why should they object to you jamming around with your friends?
Explain to the other folks in your "serious" band that your other band is no different from any other activity you'd do with your close friends in your free time, and that their band will continue to take first priority. Your bandmates wouldn't object to you spending time going bowling or hiking or playing videogames with your close friends (I assume), why should they object to you jamming around with your friends?

Because I haven't made my serious band yet. My friends are slightly opposed to me playing in a different band. Original loyalties and all that.
Meh no loyalties involved. What you do in your own time is up to you, and if you want to get gigging super regularly, you HAVE to be in more than one band. If your friends can't take it, just tell them that you're seeing your girlfriend or something and they can live happier :P
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i regularly play with other musicians and with other bands. i sometimes am in a few bands, fill in for people, guest spot. the other member of my band are or have been in other bands while we have been together. completely healthy.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by benonbass1
Just make sure you make it clear that you will still put in the same amount of time and energy into both bands, I'm sure he'll understand.

That's what HE thought.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Honestly, I think its stupid to be in multiple bands. Its any real musicians ambition to be in a band that actually is intent on gigging and making music. It doesn't sound to me like you want to be in a crappy basement band with your friends who will probably come over once a week or 2 and jam extremely poorly on classic zeppelin songs (which is what you are making it sound like it will be). My advice is to go with the band of musicians. Why be in both bands when you clearly don't give a shit about one of them. Plus, this way you can devote all your time and attention to the band you actually care about.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Quote by Jesus_Dean

My bands both have gigs tonight. At the same venue, one after the other. My newer band wouldn't have been able to get the gig if we weren't supporting my established band, and having my new band means we don't have to bring in outside support acts who in the past have acted like arseholes and played way over time.
Last edited by Boydy24 at Aug 6, 2010,
It's like anything else... you have a band, and you have... maybe a part-time job, maybe you belong to a stamp collecting club, maybe you have a date with a girlfriend, and maybe you have another band.

How do you prevent conflicts among any of these? You prioritize, and you communicate. Simple as that!

One thing my original band did, seeing as our bass player was in another band, but also seeing as the others of us were also pretty busy with work schedules and stuff is we had an on-line calendar that was set up so only we could see it and edit it. If something came up - a family BBQ, a week where you're working evenings, a trip out of town, or a gig with another band, you put it on the calendar. I knew to check that calendar before booking anything. Easy.

For rehearsals, we kept one night that was consistent - that was band practice night. Now, if something came up, we'd have to reschedule, but we made it a reasonably high priority to keep that night reserved.

CT

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i used to be in 3 bands with a bunch of slackers and we NEVER go shit done, so i quit all 3 to start forming the band im currently forming. i colaberate or have projects with other friends of mine, idk if you would call those "bands" or not, but they're fun and worth it.

i think band members should just do whatever they can handle without comprimising they're current/main band. and when i was in those 3, my band mates in my main band would act hella jealous but without sayin it outloud, and i'd always piss them off when i started playing a song for a different band just t show them what i can write, and then tell them they arent gonna play it, so just try to not piss ppl off, im not good at that haha
Honestly, I think its stupid to be in multiple bands. Its any real musicians ambition to be in a band that actually is intent on gigging and making music. It doesn't sound to me like you want to be in a crappy basement band with your friends who will probably come over once a week or 2 and jam extremely poorly on classic zeppelin songs (which is what you are making it sound like it will be). My advice is to go with the band of musicians. Why be in both bands when you clearly don't give a shit about one of them. Plus, this way you can devote all your time and attention to the band you actually care about.

See, the "crappy Zeppelin covers" band doesn't come together specifically to go nowhere. We have fun playing the instruments we love, critics be damned if we get nowhere. It's the same as playing Xbox for a few hours with 3 friends.

Anyway, to resolve my original issue, I did the best of both worlds. My friends and I have started to get serious, and we are replacing a couple people who were content with being a stick in the mud So expect to watch my induction to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame