So right now I am trying to familiarize myself with finding the right chord progressions in songs and guess which types of solos should be used over them. So I picked "Let there be rock" by AC/DC.

So the chord progression goes like this (in power chords): G-E-G-E-G-E-A-E-G-E

So one problem I keep running into is that I find it difficult to find the tonic chord. Any tips/tricks?

With this song I guessed it would probably be G, so I looked at that chord relationship chart thing and saw Em, G, and A (close enough to above) all in row D, and G was in the Lydian section. So does that mean I should solo in G Lydian? Can someone please correct me if i'm wrong and please help me with this process.

Thanks a lot
Just use E minor for that
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by TH3M4PPL3S_
Ok, but <i>why</i>. Please explain with the chord relationships.

You're using three chords:

G5: G, D
E5: E, B
A5: A, E

Putting those in order (starting from E because to me that seems to be the tonal center):

E, G, A, B, D

OR

1, b3, 4, 5, b7

This is an E minor pentatonic. You can add the 2 and b6 to make it E minor if you wish. You have that freedom because this progression is only using 5 notes.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Aug 5, 2010,
Most rock music, the first chord usually tells you what key we are in. This is case, we are in the key of G major. Power chords are played with only the root and 5th, the 3rd in the triad defines the tonality, whether it is a major or minor. In that case, one will have to listen to other instruments or vocal melodies to determine if it’s major or minor.

The E is a minor chord and the A is a II major. Since the A major chord is played mainly as a passing chord, we don’t have to worry about the C#.

The other thing to understand is style of music. Rock music especially AC/DC uses pentatonic scales as the basis of their solo and melodies. In order to stay true to the style, you will have to use G major pentatonic.
We're not in G major, we're in E minor. The way the main chord riff is constructed, with the quick shift from G to E is a very deliberate mechanism to heighten the sense of anticipation for the tonic throughout the song, the tonic being E.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
We're not in G major, we're in E minor. The way the main chord riff is constructed, with the quick shift from G to E is a very deliberate mechanism to heighten the sense of anticipation for the tonic throughout the song, the tonic being E.

From what I'm hearing, E does not really remain the tonic for the whole song...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
Please elaborate. I hear an E blues the whole time.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Please elaborate. I hear an E blues the whole time.

Just the simple fact that while playing with the song, it was not resolving to E...maybe...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168

Not for the whole song no, obviously those interludes where it shifts to vamping on an A major chord shift everything up a 4th to A.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com