In a couple of weeks I'm off to study for a year at Colorado. Hence I will be leaving all of my guitars at home in the UK (gonna buy a cheap acoustic out there which will do me, couldn't bear the stress of sending one of mine over). I was just wondering if there any precautions I should take to keep my axes in good condition while I'm gone.

I'm going to keep a few in hardcases, but the rest don't have any bags or whatever. I'm quite worried about temp changes, also presumibly they'll slowly detune, particularly on the acoustics is there any danger the neck could lose tension?

So yeah, may be a stupid question, but does anyone know how best to keep them safe?
Never had to do that but I would de-string it as you'll need new ones by the time you get back anyway?
Loosen the strings a tad, that way the necks will relax a bit, but not too much for when you get back. Put them in their casings, and put 'em somewhere with roomtemperature, so they dont bend and stuff
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
For humidity I have put my guitar in a garbage bag then sealed it really tight with 2 knots ... It wasn't perfect but when I let the guitar sit for 2months in the bag compared to another, the strings in the bagged one had no rust or oxidization so it must have worked half-decently. Just make sure someone doesnt come into your room and say "Hmm, why is all this garbage in here..." hah.
Loosen your strings a little, find cases for them, and if you dont have climate control in your house give them to a friend for a little while?

By the way, where will you be in CO? Its a gorgeous place
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Gakbez
Loosen the strings a tad, that way the necks will relax a bit, but not too much for when you get back. Put them in their casings, and put 'em somewhere with roomtemperature, so they dont bend and stuff

on what score? the neck is in stress every day. leave them where they are.
If they're that precious to you/you're that worried about them, then I recommend that you get hard cases for them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I really don't see why you would need to releave the tension on the neck?? So this must mean that you should loosen your strings when not playing your guitar, what a load of old waffle lol.
If you de-string a guitar for a period of time it will need setting up again big time. I've kept guitars in their cases unplayed for a good couple of years and I've never had any problems. Perhaps the only thing I can suggest is store the guitar in it's case in your wardrobe or somewhere where the temprature will be fairly stable.

Regards
Del
Leave it as they are.

tuned properly, get some of those anti humidity sachets.

put the cases somewhere safe and leave them.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I was also told to leave the guitars tuned and DON'T DETUNE them. A guitar tech told me if you don't detune them if you were playing them everyday. The neck needs that ension to keep from bowing.

I also would'nt keep them in a plastic bag. You need something that can breathe . A plastic garbage bag would hold in any moisture built up from heating and cooling.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Quote by Tomaz24
In a couple of weeks I'm off to study for a year at Colorado. Hence I will be leaving all of my guitars at home in the UK (gonna buy a cheap acoustic out there which will do me, couldn't bear the stress of sending one of mine over). I was just wondering if there any precautions I should take to keep my axes in good condition while I'm gone.

I'm going to keep a few in hardcases, but the rest don't have any bags or whatever. I'm quite worried about temp changes, also presumibly they'll slowly detune, particularly on the acoustics is there any danger the neck could lose tension?

So yeah, may be a stupid question, but does anyone know how best to keep them safe?

You should get a travel guitar like the hofner's shorty (costs ridiculously low), combine it with a pocket marshall.. oh well, whatever :}

If you've kept some guitars out of bags to this date, then having them stay as they are for the year to come won't make any difference. As long as someone's there to dust em. Humidity changes, temperature changes.. just as it has until now. Unless you got some really precious guitars (such as custom shop stuff - and why would you have one without a case?), I wouldn't worry as much as to buy hard cases. Which are real waste of money anyway if you don't gig/travel/sell stuff online. And even in the latter case you can use a soft bag combined with bubble wrap if the recipient pays for safe handling.

More like you should be worried that someone will steal them, noting your absence and the fact that there's no one to report the loss before the stuff is sold on the aftermarket.. That is, unless you live with someone.
I had to store my guitars for a year when I went to Iraq. Here's what I did, and they ended up fine.

First off, I tuned the strings down a couple steps. The actual tuning is not important, just give them a bit of slack. That way the neck can relax a little. The constant pressure can bow the neck a tad, especially over long periods, and if you don't have a 2-way truss, it can be hell.

Second, keep them somewhere where there's moderate temperature controls. Temp changes aren't a huge issue unless you're storing someplace without some sort of climate controls (sheds, storage units, cars, etc.) If you're keeping them indoors like I did, it's almost a negligable concern.

Get a couple of these:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Humicase-Humidity-Control-Pack?sku=420983

I put them in the cases with my guitars. I only replaced the fluid once during that whole year while I was on leave, and when I came back the guitars were absolutely fine. If moisture is a HUGE concern of yours, wrap your hardcase in plastic.

Next, get some lemon oil and soak your fretboards pretty hardcore, especially if rosewood. They'll be the first things to start to dry out. Paint and metal and stuff will take a bit longer to notice the differences, but the rosewood can be rather noticeable.

I did all those things to my 4 guitars, and they were all just as I had left them when I returned. I hope that helped!
Cheers everyone, although there seem to be a few conflicting opinions I think I can now be worry-free that my beautiful guitars aren't dying in my abscence.

Quote by diceksox1809

By the way, where will you be in CO? Its a gorgeous place

Boulder. Yeah, there was a few places in the US I could have gone but the sheer beauty of the place convinced me pretty quickly.
They'll possibly die if you detune them. Especially if you do NOT have a 2 way truss rod. Leave things just as they are. If you simply must detune them, then release the tension on the truss rod.

Detuning (and relaxing the truss rod) is something that can be done for shipping purposes, but that is all. Do not store your guitars detuned.

Try emailing the manufacturer of one of your guitars. Take their advice.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Last edited by Ratraisin at Aug 5, 2010,
i heard of this thing that you can hang your guitar on a hanger and hang it in your wardrobe

not kidding