I have a LTD EC-400vf and an Ibanez Destroyer DTT700 and I'm not sure if polyurethane or nitrocellulose, or maybe even something else were used for the finish.

If anyone knows please share!
Polly.

If its nitro they normally make a big fuss over it in the marketing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thanks!
The reason I needed to know is because I just bought some Dunlop 65 Formula and I didn't know if it was safe to use on my guitars.
Other than a small number of cheaper Gibsons and the Highway One Fenders, you're not going to find a nitro finish on any guitar under a grand. Even most guitars that cost over a grand use poly finishes. If you're ever in doubt, smell it. Ntro finishes have an unmistakable smell, it's somewhat honey-ish.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
just thought i would add,

your EC may actually be a matt finish so check that too bud.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
just thought i would add,

your EC may actually be a matt finish so check that too bud.

Don't know about that model, but if this is true, then you don't want to be using polish on that at all. A good wipe down with a dry or slightly damp cloth will do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Is there anywhere I can find out this information for sure.
I took a look at their websites respectively, and I didn't find anything on the subject.
I also looked through their manuals but still didn't find anything about the finish.

Are there any other resources I could look at???
If it doesn't say, it's poly. You can tell if it's a matte finish by looking at it, no further investigation needed there. The other way to tell nitro/poly, besides smelling it, is to light your guitar on fire just a little bit. Nitro burns quite readily, poly does not.

Those guitars are definitely both poly finished.
Just wondering, I've got a PRS SE 25th Custom 24
I think it a poly finish, but I'm not 100% sure
Can't find anything about it, looked on PRS website etc.
Is it alright for me to use guitar polish, or should I just use water?
Quote by Gods_Gift
Just wondering, I've got a PRS SE 25th Custom 24
I think it a poly finish, but I'm not 100% sure
Can't find anything about it, looked on PRS website etc.
Is it alright for me to use guitar polish, or should I just use water?

poly.

how can people not tell the difference!?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
This should probably be stickied somewhere: If you have to ask about your finish, 99% chance it's Poly.

They really don't make guitars with Nitro anymore like they used to - Nitro finished guitars are very hard to find. They're not very desirable, imo. The Poly has way too many advantages over the nitro.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
This should probably be stickied somewhere: If you have to ask about your finish, 99% chance it's Poly.

They really don't make guitars with Nitro anymore like they used to - Nitro finished guitars are very hard to find. They're not very desirable, imo. The Poly has way too many advantages over the nitro.

all gibsons use nitro. even the faded ones have a very light coat of nitro over it.

and thats not a bad idea, should i make a thread about finishes?
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by I am wet
all gibsons use nitro. even the faded ones have a very light coat of nitro over it.

and thats not a bad idea, should i make a thread about finishes?

Oh really? I thought the cheaper Gibsons used Poly... but what do I know? Haha, I'm not a Gibson fan at all.

And, if you want to, I don't see why not. But I don't know how significant it would be, almost all of the people who post threads here never even glance at stickies anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Oh really? I thought the cheaper Gibsons used Poly... but what do I know? Haha, I'm not a Gibson fan at all.

And, if you want to, I don't see why not. But I don't know how significant it would be, almost all of the people who post threads here never even glance at stickies anyway.

yea good point
Lets jump in a pool