Just recently acquired £300 and im considering buying an epiphone dot.
Anyone got any opinions on it?

Also, Cherry or Ebony?

Last edited by Seanog182 at Aug 5, 2010,
I had one and I liked it. Very versatile, I would say with upgraded tuners and pickups I'd take one on tour. I had cherry and I liked it but if I were to buy one again I'd go with ebony. Just my opinion.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I think i am going to buy it, but i'm still very torn between to two colours!
The cherry finish does look good, i've seen one someone else had and it was sharp.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
find a used sheraton II same thing more fancy, better playing neck, same price if you find it used.

If you find a used dot it would be real cheap, which is another way to go about it.

Retail on epiphones is bleh. All over the placed used.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
I wouldnt mind buying the dot brand new.
Im having a look for a sheraton II now!
As solid as rest of the good ones - past Special and other low-quality models.. Check out the other semi-hollows as well. Testing before buying recommended.

If you buy retail online you're guaranteed to get 100% quality: any finish flaws will lead to price reductions. It's likely there's a few.

The stock pickups are okay, by the way. Swap them only if you feel like it's worth it.
Cherry. But look it over REALLY CLOSELY. I got mine mail-ordered to me, and there was a hole in the sound-block. Returning it soon.

Everything else seemed awesome for a $400. The "E" on the pickguard may come off as well.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Seanog182

Im having a look for a sheraton II now!

You won't regret it. Try to play before you buy of course.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Great guitar if you take the time to find a good one. QC on the Dots seems to be a little hit and miss. Definitely try before you buy. Epiphone started putting Grovers on the Dots a few years ago so there's no need to change tuners. Stock pickups are good but can be upgraded with something great! I like the darker color cherry finish and the ebony. I don't like the looks of the light cherry or Studio models. Personal preference.
This color----> http://a562.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/54/l_2a8dc576aeb378b746255f8d0320b6a9.jpg
I was incredibly suprised by the one I used to own. I bought it as a cheapo guitar to take with me to Iraq because I didn't want the sand messing up any of my other gitfiddles.

Normally I'm not a huge fan of really thick necks, but it just works for this guitar. You have to be sure to find a good one at a local shop, don't just get one online. Some are gems, some are trash. A little fixing up might be in order, but the end result is a guitar worth 2-3 times as much as you're paying.

This is a life-long fender ***** commending cheap epiphone products, so you know it's good.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
oh, yeah, GO KOREAN! USED!
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Earlier today I was swaying towards ebony.

But now im thinking cherry. I think it gives the guitar a better feel you know. Gives it the edge!
I had the ebony. Was a great guitar, could have used some new pick ups, other than that, no complaints
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
If you don't want to continuously clean the fingerprints off your guitar... get the cherry
I took quite a shine to one at the Gibson Music Studio in London O2.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
I'm sitting right next to mine. Mmmmmmmmm. I'd say ebony. But I suggest taking off the pickguard. Looks better :P
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
I'd just like to add thanks to your damned Dot GAS you reminded me of mine, so I went and impulse bought one off eBay (an ebony one). My credit card bill's sitting on the desk looking at me like; "Luke, what the fuck?"
Natural finish!

Great guitar for the money. Very versatile. I am very happy with mine, and the stock pickups seem fine.

Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
Psalm 33:3
I bought the Cherry Red one, on the basis that I already have a few black guitars, and i hate fingerprints and scratches!

But thanks for the advice everyone, can't wait til it arrives!
Last edited by Seanog182 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Seanog182
I bought the Cherry Red one, on the basis that I already have a few black guitars, and i have fingerprints and scratches!

But thanks for the advice everyone, can't wait til it arrives!

I'll race you. You'll win. Yours probably isn't being shipped across the Pacific Ocean.
Mines is coming from Germany to Northern Ireland!

I hope i'll get it before this day next week
Quote by Seanog182
Mines is coming from Germany to Northern Ireland!

I hope i'll get it before this day next week

Sounds like I'm in with a chance. It's on.
I saw the dot in a music store not long ago and before I left the store, I had made an oath to make this my next guitar unless SG can win me over again. Oh the agony!
Just got it in the post this morning.
It is AMAZING!
Very comfortable to play, and it sounds just great.

Only complaint is that the little Epiphone "e" isnt stuck down right on the pickguard.
But i read that it's very common for the dot. Little bit of glue, and problem solved!
I don't think that "E" was ever meant to be a permanent thing. I took mine off right away.