Hey guys,

Made a topic on this a few weeks back, but I have a slight change in question. What amp do you guys recommend that would be good for both practice and gigging? I'm hoping not to spend more than $300. I'm moving to the States for college, and will probably get an ESP Eclipse II Standard in the next couple weeks unless a more attractive option comes along. So what amp would suit my needs? I'm hoping for a decent sounding, loud when it needs to be, quiet when it needs to be, relatively light weight, good bang-for-buck amp. Too tall an order? I was thinking about the Fender Frontman 212R, but it may be too big for a dorm room, and not so good for my style of music? I mostly play metal, but I always run through a pedal, so I'm thinking I could get a pretty decent distortion sound from the pedal, I just need the volume from the amp. What do you guys think?
You're thinking of spending over $1200 on guitar and under $500 on an amplifier..oh come on..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Hey man, sorry. I'm low on funds and don't finally got enough money for my dream guitar. I'm gonna buy it. In the mean time, I need a decent-ish amp to gig and practice with. If I had the money, I'd buy a nice amp, but I don't. So with my situation what would be a good amp for me?

Having said that, what amp would you suggest I get that would nicely compliment an Eclipse? I might be able to stretch the budget to $500 if I eat poorly for a couple months or something .
Last edited by thirdykal at Aug 5, 2010,
Peavey JSX Mini colossal. plug it right into the PA for gigging.

EDIT: why note sell your SG for extra cash? then you could get soemthing even better.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by thirdykal
Hey man, sorry. I'm low on funds and don't finally got enough money for my dream guitar. I'm gonna buy it. In the mean time, I need a decent-ish amp to gig and practice with. If I had the money, I'd buy a nice amp, but I don't. So with my situation what would be a good amp for me?

Having said that, what amp would you suggest I get that would nicely compliment an Eclipse? I might be able to stretch the budget to $500 if I eat poorly for a couple months or something .

Well,you could go for a ltd version (figures..) They have almost the same specs,but if it is the color you want then I guess there is no other option.. Ebonizing a fingerboard is an easy project,my friend did that on his guitar not too long ago,so the ltd versions have rosewoods if that's what drives you away.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Jhachey22
Peavey JSX Mini colossal. plug it right into the PA for gigging.
You mean a preamp out into the PA? That's gonna sound awful...
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by chip46
No, some amps have direct outputs that allow you to go straight into a mixer. It's basically like micing the amp but you're taking out the middle man.
That's what I said. A preamp line out into a PA sounds awful. That process of taking out the "middle man" means you don't get the tone shaping of the poweramp, the cabinet and the microphone. Without some kind of modeling or simulation in between, it will sound harsh and fizzy.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

You can get a great amp for 500 bucks, just buy used and be patient. Check eBay or Craiglist daily and you're bound to find something good.
You'd be better off getting an LTD, and then spending more on an amp. The Ltd deluxe EC-1000 is a great guitar, and its $800, they're going to sound prettymuch exactly the same, and I'd imagine feel the same too, but I haven't played the ESP.
Step one:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Pro-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480511

Step Two:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-Mic-with-Cable-Stand?sku=485304

EDIT: Don't get turned off cuz you play TEH BROOTZ and it's a Fender amp. You say you get your distortion from pedals, so the best way to go with simulated distortion is to start with an impeccable clean tone.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Aug 6, 2010,
I disagree with your priorities, but if you want the guitar, you want the guitar.

I have never heard direct to PA sounding good. Not once. Granted the bands I've seen do it are mediocre with subpar gear, but that's because solid bands with decent gear mic. It just sounds much better. I don't see any scenario where I'd be inclined to take out my power amp/speaker.

On topic:

Look at something solid and used. Peavey is a good brand for decent metal amps. You can pick up a used 5150 combo for 450. I've seen a XXX go for 300, though I admit that's a rarity. Peavey Ultra's go between 200-400 but are a little harder to find.
Try a Hiwatt Maxwatt 100. Its a straight, 2 channel, SS 100w amp so its enough for gigging, turns down well and takes pedals better than any modeling amp. No, its not got the oomph of a nice valve amp but its light and will do the job you need now.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

All right, I was going on the money saving root, but I don't want to be wasting money on an amp that I won't be 100% satisfied with. At the same time, I'm not made of money. What's a decent tube amp for metal that won't break my bank? What do you guys think of the Marshall MA50C? I'm a complete n00b at amps, my guitars have always outclassed my amps because nice ones in China are F***ING EXPENSIVE.
Quote by thirdykal
What's a decent tube amp for metal that won't break my bank?
See the recommendations that were made here in your thread...
What do you guys think of the Marshall MA50C?
The consensus is that the MA amps are mediocre.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
You mean a preamp out into the PA? That's gonna sound awful...

it has an XLR out with speaker simulation designed specifically to get a good silent recording sound, but it also sounds pretty damn good through a PA.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.