I'm 100% sure this is the wrong place to post this, however, I looked around and really had no clue where it would belong, so I went to the most familiar forum to me.

I was wondering if theres some sort of basic music writing software, for free. I pretty much would just like something, so if I find a tab that I like, I can write it up in actual music notation, and print hard copy. I'm just much more comfortable with regular notation, not tabs. I googled it, but I didn't find anything I thought didn't look too shady...... there were several legit looking sites, but they had a cost with them. Sorry for posting in the wrong spot, but I would love some help.

Thanks
Tux guitar and I believe musescore is free as well though I'm not too sure of that.

Edit: Power tab is free as well. Though if you have vista like me, then you're screwed when it comes to that option.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Last edited by Victory2134 at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by Victory2134
Tux guitar and I believe musescore is free as well though I'm not too sure of that.

musescore is free, it just looked a little shady to me, but if its not I will check that out first thanks
Why not just print blank sheet music pages and write in the notation yourself?
Quote by Stingray5
Why not just print blank sheet music pages and write in the notation yourself?

that was my first idea, I tried it last night, and I discovered that my crappy handwriting carries over to music writing. it just looked awful
Finale Notepad.

Edit: I didn't realize it earlier, but Notepad is a free 30 day trial. So depending on what you're looking for, it could work. Finale is extremely popular for scoring music, and this is the entry level version.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
Last edited by kamayzing at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by Natebegreat
that was my first idea, I tried it last night, and I discovered that my crappy handwriting carries over to music writing. it just looked awful

I share this problem, who knew spacing and consistency would be such an issue.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
I share this problem, who knew spacing and consistency would be such an issue.

It gets easier after a while. Also, may I suggest using slashes as opposed to balls for all notes not whole or half?
Quote by Royal Celebi
It gets easier after a while. Also, may I suggest using slashes as opposed to balls for all notes not whole or half?

but I like balls ohhh, I had to. Anyways, I suppose that could work, I'm sure with some practice it could work, but a printed out sheet with everything all perfect just looks so much nicer