What are your thoughts on the Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT 20.

I friend of mine is selling one at around $125. I tried it and it sounds good enough for that price and the tone I could get could be improved by changing the speaker to possibly a more vintage Celestion one.

I am wondering also if it is loud enough for a small gig with drum included? I couldn't test the volume as his baby was sleeping .

Thanks.
It's what I thought. My current 30 watt SS amp sounds really crappy when volume is maxed out in the clean channel.
the AVT isn't all SS, it's hybrid and uses one 12ax7 in the preamp.
I used to have an AVT50 and it was definitely a step up from a regular solid state amp. I would only offer him $100 for it, but still not a bad amp if you're looking to upgrade from solid state.
I say get it. Throw a new 12ax7 in there and goto town.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by Darkflame
valvestate =/= AVT

also, that tube is a gimmick, doesn't do much. If you want toob warmth, put it in the power amp

It says it's an AVT in the OP.

If I was to buy that amp, it'd have to be under 100. They're an anachronism, decent modelling amps are available for only a little more than that amp and blow it out of the water. The AVT has an okay crunch, but that's it. Cleans are meh, high gain is an abomination. No, the AVT doesn't sound good.
The avt are a big improvement over the 8100s. And yes the one tube makes a big different over all ss amps. You've obviously never played the 2000
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Also agree with the 50 watt probably being a better choice. I got my 50 watt combo from a friend for $100. Ended up selling it for $225 though
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
The avt are a big improvement over the 8100s. And yes the one tube makes a big different over all ss amps. You've obviously never played the 2000

The 8100 can do teh br00tz though
8100s are not bad if your going for the mid 90s melodeath br00tz sound May not be to everyones taste though
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 5, 2010,
2000>8100
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx