Hey guys, I've been trying to play the following song: link

I can play the entire song up to speed until that part of the ending solo. Right now i can only play that part at ~56% speed (180bpm out of 320bpm). Any tips for how to bring my picking and finger dexterity up to that speed? Are there other techniques that allow you to pick that fast (I'm already using alternate and economy picking)?

Thanks!
Last edited by Thefox14 at Aug 6, 2010,
Practice practice practice. Just go from 180 bpm to 200, you might make a few mistakes but the more you practice the better youll get, then just go from 200 onward.
Yeah I've been doing that for a bit, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to hold the pick to strum faster or other techniques that may help.

Also, when I'm playing that high up on the fretboard I cant get my fingers perfectly straight, they are always a bit crooked. Anyone have suggestions how to fix that? My guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul.
Yeah that high on the fretboard everyone's fingers are going to be a little crooked and watch your thumb. Make sure it's low on the neck on those high frets. It should just naturally go there. The only way to do this is to practice and especially alternate/economy picking practice. Watch the following video. This is the kind of stuff you need to be practicing in order to pull off stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7bAtoSAODw&feature=related

Also I couldn't really tell from your link but it looked like he was alternate picking the whole time... I was just wondering if he was incorporating some legato. If so, watch this video also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF7LD46o13c

The main thing here is absolute practice, practice and more practice. Play slowly and accurately then using a metronome pick up the tempo. Eventually you'll be there. Good luck!

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Thanks for the links man, those exercises look really good, I'll make sure to put them in my practicing.
And yeah he is playing every single of one of those notes. I have his tabs if that'd help at all.

Quick q, currently I'm trying to decide which is the best way to hold my pick. I've been holding it thumb-index-middle as its easier to angle the pick (for speed) and it feels more comfortable. I've been seeing a lot of people saying that thumb-index is better though. Not sure which to go for.
Quote by Thefox14
Thanks for the links man, those exercises look really good, I'll make sure to put them in my practicing.
And yeah he is playing every single of one of those notes. I have his tabs if that'd help at all.

Quick q, currently I'm trying to decide which is the best way to hold my pick. I've been holding it thumb-index-middle as its easier to angle the pick (for speed) and it feels more comfortable. I've been seeing a lot of people saying that thumb-index is better though. Not sure which to go for.

You're welcome for the links. They are great exercises for speed and accuracy although the legato lesson by Guthrie Govan is a little advanced it still has A LOT of merit and hey it's Guthrie Govan man!!!

Anyway about your pick. You should really hold it in the way that feels most comfortable. Some guys/gals use the three finger grasp and others use only the thumb and index finger. Neither grip does anything for speed though it's all about preference and comfort. For speed just make sure that ONLY the very tip of the pick is hitting the strings. Digging in too far will slow you down. Technically the thumb and index is correct but again everyone plays differently and it's just about what's most comfortable for you. Good luck with this and keep us posted on your progress!

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to post again when I make some more progress
Quote by Thefox14
Hey guys, I've been trying to play the following song: link

I can play the entire song up to speed until that part of the ending solo. Right now i can only play that part at ~56% speed (180bpm out of 320bpm). Any tips for how to bring my picking and finger dexterity up to that speed? Are there other techniques that allow you to pick that fast (I'm already using alternate and economy picking)?

Thanks!

First of all this song isn't at 320 bpm, but 160-ish bpm. You need to pick 16th notes.
Stop using economy picking, it sucks if you are not advanced player already ("I am using economy picking" usually means I don't know what I am doing and pick randomly), then slow it down to 70-80 bpm and practice - I can guarantee you will be able to play it one day.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Aug 7, 2010,
Yeah i know the actual song is being played at 160bpm, but since he's picking 16th note sextuplets, its easier to play along with a metronome if i use 320bpm. I appreciate the encouragement?? but I'm not going to be able to play that fast in one day.