Hey guys,

To begin with today was a terrible day for me.. I was killing myself..

I was trying to get a good sound with my amp + pedal + guitar

I want to get a dream theater sound basically.. I look at the settings thread.. that one doesnt work..

I used my ears.. I am in a mad state right now and need to fix this before using my ears properly..

please help me!!

my gear is below.. probably many of you have the same pedal so it wont that much of a problem I hope..

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
It's going to be hard. Part of what makes Petrucci's tone is the fact that he has some very sterile sounding pickups going through an amp with a lot of very tight/compressed distortion. This way all the harmonics are very tight and rich, which is very hard to achieve without tubes.

With your setup I'd use I'd roll the tone back on your neck pickup a little, and back on your bridge pickup a lot. Use more volume in your neck than bridge and blend the two. Then push your Metal muff beforehand with lots of gain, but not a lot of balls behind the tone. You just want the extra disto.

Then:
Bass: 7
Mid: 4
Treble: 4
Presence: 8
Reverb: 3

Or something to that effect. I'm not familiar with your amp, so it'd be fair to say I'm pulling these amp setting out of my ass a little. Hopefully that works out for you.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Well, the pickups you're using are off. Normally this isn't a big issue, but with active pickups instead of passive pickups, there can be a big difference, and John uses passive high-output pickups. This is a conquerable problem though.

The next issue is the Metal Muff; take it out. John's distortion comes either from his Mesas or various lighter-gain pedals(A Keeley TS9DX, a DS-1 and a Zakk Wylde OD), he has a clearer, lighter distortion than it gives.

Finally, the amp. John uses Mesa Boogie amps, which are US-voiced. The Marshall us UK-voiced.

For more, go here;

http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/190/38/

This may also be worthwhile, though I don't remember if he goes through his entire rig or just talks pickups;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQEAb6VT-E

And based on a sweep picking video a friend sent me, I think he may set a wah pedal all the way back during solos to get a rounder sound.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
well i know that and I wanted to buy a mesa boogie mark series amp however in Turkey amps are x3 the original price.. mesas are already expensive and when you x3 it... it is pretty hard to get one..

@rooster i'll try it now

Gear
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363

Last.fm
Ok well I used to run a B-52 SS amp with a Metal Muff I can go dial in my setup as I would go for something similiar to him I think the main thing is I would put my mids between 8.5-10, treb would be about 7-7.5, Bass would be around 7-8 use the boost to taste for leads I stuck to the higher/mid sound of the boost sweep and rev would be about 5 on the amp and amp eq with 7's across the board. though on my Jackson I also have the JP setup of sorts with an Air Norton S and a D-Sonic but even the Gibson with my ZW setup would still have a similiar sound so it's possible it didn't sound exactly like JP but would have that similiar overall sound I think.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by necrosis1193
Well, the pickups you're using are off. Normally this isn't a big issue, but with active pickups instead of passive pickups, there can be a big difference, and John uses passive high-output pickups. This is a conquerable problem though.

The next issue is the Metal Muff; take it out. John's distortion comes either from his Mesas or various lighter-gain pedals(A Keeley TS9DX, a DS-1 and a Zakk Wylde OD), he has a clearer, lighter distortion than it gives.

Finally, the amp. John uses Mesa Boogie amps, which are US-voiced. The Marshall us UK-voiced.

For more, go here;

http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/190/38/

This may also be worthwhile, though I don't remember if he goes through his entire rig or just talks pickups;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQEAb6VT-E

And based on a sweep picking video a friend sent me, I think he may set a wah pedal all the way back during solos to get a rounder sound.

That's true, he uses surprisingly little gain considering the genre.
Besides that, he has ridiculously expensive gear; it's almost impossible to get his tone.
Just fiddle around until you find a sound that YOU like.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Besides that, he has ridiculously expensive gear; it's almost impossible to get his tone.

Actually, its not that hard. A Mark IV/V will get you at least 80% of the way there. Most of the rack gear he has is used for maybe 1 or 2 songs or sections of songs, basically the only thing he makes heavy use of is the 2290 delay, and the wah for some solos. Other than that the rest of the rack gear doesnt get used that frequently.
wait time out!

since when did mxr make the metal muff
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by littlephil
Actually, its not that hard. A Mark IV/V will get you at least 80% of the way there. Most of the rack gear he has is used for maybe 1 or 2 songs or sections of songs, basically the only thing he makes heavy use of is the 2290 delay, and the wah for some solos. Other than that the rest of the rack gear doesnt get used that frequently.

I'd trust this man more than the rest of us; He probably knows more than most of this forum when it comes to Dream Theater.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
I'd trust this man more than the rest of us; He probably knows more than most of this forum when it comes to Dream Theater.

It is true though, the main reason he has all of that rack gear is basically because he can. If they weren't so big he definitely would't have all the gear he takes on tour, its just because he wants the best tone and can afford to take the same gear he used in the studio on the road.
Quote by Karpet King
wait time out!

since when did mxr make the metal muff

oops

Gear
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363

Last.fm
You need AT LEAST the same bridge pickup as him to get a similar tone.

I can get damn close to it with the same pup, no pedals, and a Peavey Valveking.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by littlephil

I was waiting for someone to post that!

Hah I just saw this thread and I was about to quote it.
Didn't even have to click the link to know what that was

Check out Bugera's new Wizard amp, then try to mimic some of the settings on Petrucci's website, and get you a basswood bodied, maple necked, rosewood boarded instrument with some kind of trem, and load the axe with his pickups (Either Air Norton neck and Steve's Special bridge, or Crunch Lab/Liquifire).

Either way, you'll at least be upgrading your amp
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by joel-lesperance
Just find some iron maiden settings there easy to find and sounds about the same.

Oh and, you couldn't be MORE off. Well you could...but that was a pretty bad comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMr9KjdchSw

DOES NOT SOUND THE SAME AS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Snehl2bAk
^Yeah, a mid-80's Metallica tone is closer. I like Ride The Lightning, and Petrucci has some of that vibe in his earlier stuff.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
the petrucci tone for one i find is a very wet tone, it makes up for the lack of a second guitarist by using reverb and delays and chorusing to make the guitar sound bigger. So learn to love those.

you need to have an articulate gain channel so each note rings through. learn to love your mids.

when he does solo's, you need that smooth sound of the neck pickup but you need a little bite of the bridge pickup. this is what gives me the most trouble when i try for a petrucci style tone, get a nice rounded tone that still has good bite.

all in all, remember, you don't want to emulate your favourite guitarists tone, you want to take what you like from every tone you like and make it your own.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by littlephil

It is true though, the main reason he has all of that rack gear is basically because he can. If they weren't so big he definitely would't have all the gear he takes on tour, its just because he wants the best tone and can afford to take the same gear he used in the studio on the road.

+1 Though, I have noticed in quite a few interviews that he says the majority of his rack goes towards making a fuller sound to mimic the sound of 2 guitars in unison to give a stronger feel and bring himself out more.

The Petrucci Rack: (Note: Most of these are from memory, sorry for mistakes)
EVH Flanger
EVH Phase 90
Keeley Mod Tubescreamer
TC Spatial Expander and Stereo Chorus I believe?
TC M3000 Reverb/Delay
Eventide 7600 HArmonizer
TC C400XL Compressor
Dunlop DSR-2SR Rack Wah which he uses 2 foot pedals with?

Now just throw in a Mark V and you got it

By the way Littlephil, good to meet another JP fan who actually knows something about him.

Last edited by CaparisonCore at Aug 8, 2010,

He hasnt actually got that much gear in the rack, a tuner, wah, compressor/gate, TC Chorus/Flanger, 3 delay units (one for each amp), a harmoniser and then a few pedals, the rest of the stuff is just switching units and a mixer. A lot of guitarists have a lot more stuff than that, people just think its lots because its all in a rack.