Sorry, if I'm posting this in the wrong place or if there is already a thread on this, but I have moved all of my music gear into our basement (at my parents' request haha). There is a lot of natural reverb in that room. It is a pretty big room with flat walls and a very thin and hard carpet. So, my question is, how do I reduce the reverb level of that room without completely killing the acoustics? I'm sure that when I mic close to my guitar amp that it won't really be bad, but reducing the reverb would give me a little more peace of mind. Thanks a ton!
Whats a basement??? kidding but have never been in one though. The easiest way is to do some auralex treatment. it will kill the standing waves and help control but not kill the rooms acoustics. Im assuming you dont want it to sound like you recorded in a vaccum. You can opt for some cheaper things like packing blankets but the dont work quite as well as acoustical foam treatments.
Cheapest solution is to hang blankets (note that the further from the wall they are hung, the lower the frequency it can absorb). Foam works as a better option as mentioned above, but your best option is to make acoustic panels from batt insulation. Basic rule of thumb... the more of the wall you cover, the more dead the room becomes.