Page 1 of 2
Tons of 'em. IIRC, it was The Who that started that whole trend.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
I didnt even know
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
If you see a wall of full stacks (with real cabinets), only half (or less) of them will be wired up.

I've not seen fake cabs before though.
I knew pretty much every band who has that many amps did it, though I never knew it was done like that. I always though they just had loads of cabs stacked together, then only used one or two of them.
i don't know, i've never seen any bands do that before.

at least the bands i bother to see live don't do that.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I've seen empty marshall cabs for sale. Some people buy empty cabs to put their own speakers in, others can do this.

Also, as some people have said, not every stack is plugged in. Some are kept for backup, others are just fo' sho'.

You could also do it the Geddy Lee way and put washing machines or grills behind you instead of amps. I wonder if Fassa will beat me to mentioning this.
Quote by Scutchington
Tons of 'em. IIRC, it was The Who that started that whole trend.

Keep in mind that this was in "the good old days" when PA systems weren't as common and you were more likely to play in a club than in an arena. If you had to go to a bigger venue and be louder, the only thing you could do is use more amps.
Last edited by sashki at Aug 5, 2010,
Kiss I think were one of the first big bands to do this. It's all about the look. If it LOOKS like they're loud, then illusion will kick in and people will think they're loud. So that way they look like a bigger band than they actually are. But that picture was still funny. I think Kiss had real cabinets, but nothing in them. Those cardboard cutouts made me laugh

EDIT: Never heard of the Who doing it...Gene Simmons really does take credit for everything
Last edited by The Shroom420 at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by sashki
You could also do it the Geddy Lee way and put washing machines or grills behind you instead of amps. I wonder if Fassa will beat me to mentioning this.

I read somewhere that running his bass through a rotisserie chicken machine gave him that "warm, crisp tone"
Quote by sashki

but Geddy Lee just does it for the sake of stage symmetry and the fact that his amp is the size of a lunchbox or something lol.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
any band nowadays with more than 3 is most likely doing this. Slayer are notorious for always having a row of fake amps on stage.
^ was said while intoxicated, so don't hold it against me.

98% of teens have been around or used alcohol, put this in your signature if you like bagels.
I love how biased that article is against black metal "it's all about the image"... I presume they've never heard of any black metal aside from Mayhem and Burzum then?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
My dad told me this when i was 6, it started a life of sceptisism
Quote by pwrmax
You win this thread. You get a cookie, except there's no cookie smiley so here's a llama

Very proud owner of (1) lolstack(s)
Quote by Stugg334

I can't believe this is news to some people. Arguably, nearly every major band that uses stacks does this.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I think the bigger question here is where one might purchase a wall of fake amps.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I kind of want the prop amps like in the picture; it'd be badass to just have sitting around in my room.
I know that absolutely loads of bands have amps that aren't plugged in on their stage to pander to their endorsements and to look badass, but using merely the fronts of them is new to me! Quite amusing too, the two ENGL heads are just sitting there acting more badass than Marshall.

But yeah, loads have "fake" amps, when I saw Megadeth support Judas Priest they had 16 Marshall heads and cabs on stage, not one plugged in or miced or anything. Though I guess that's not so bad as Chris Broderick and (I believe) Dave Mustaine both use Marshall power amps, so at least they aren't using a completely different brand like the band in the link.
Better than Brian May onstage with a stack of empty AC30s behind him and a tiny little Pignose that he's actually using.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
that seriously blows , its understandable but utterly pointless
but its black metal that whole genre is a little odd if u ask me
Last edited by metalheadblues at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by metalheadblues
that seriously blows , its understandable but utterly pointless
but its black metal that whole genre is a little odd if u ask me

Because it definitely started in black metal

Also, if you want to attempt to insult an entire genre of music, use correct grammar and spelling

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
Because it definitely started in black metal

Also, if you want to attempt to insult an entire genre of music, use correct grammar and spelling

nah i'm not insulting the genre i like some black metal but they are kind too extreme if u ask me with there whole corpse paint and hail satan black metal ist kreig kvlt or something like that..i'll be honest black metal freaked me as out a little child haha
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Better than Brian May onstage with a stack of empty AC30s behind him and a tiny little Pignose that he's actually using.

Errm... Wat?
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
lots of bands do that, i was at Lynyrd Skynyrd and the stage revolves in a circle and if you looked in the back of the cabs you could see they were either empty, or had a combo amp stuck in them.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
After seeing videos and seeing them live, I know John Petrucci has 4 cabs and 2 heads of his Mesa Boogie Mark V's that aren't even plugged in.. just for stage effect.

Personally, it makes more sense to have fake cabs I would think - Cheaper, don't weigh 80 pounds apiece, etc.
tons.

Tom Petty used to put AC30s inside Marshall cabinets on stage.

When I went to see Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck had a monstrous 1959 slp on stage, and sitting next to it was a marshall cab with 2 Fender Champs on top. It was then that I noticed that the SLP's power light was not even on

Small(ish) amps just tend to sound better imo you get more out of 'em.

Quote by MortifiedLizard

lol naw. Brian uses every single one of those ac30s. How do I know this is an absolute fact?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMCZtRgwr3w
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Aug 5, 2010,
I'm pretty sure his stack was real.
Attachments:
marchall_amps_01[1].jpg
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
I thought it was obvious that this was the case.

The phasing issues caused by using so many cabinets would actually cause a huge 50 cabinet rig to be quieter than a 1 cabinet rig
Quote by tubatom868686
The phasing issues caused by using so many cabinets would actually cause a huge 50 cabinet rig to be quieter than a 1 cabinet rig
No.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Teppei's not a faker. Its too bad he doesn't use this rig that much anymore.
Attachments:
TeppeiTeranishi[1].jpg
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Quote by Luke200420
I'm pretty sure his stack was real.

actually... he had one stack that he actually played through, one backup, and one empty one for looks, from what I remember.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by MortifiedLizard
actually... he had one stack that he actually played through, one backup, and one empty one for looks, from what I remember.

Beat me to it. If you look closely, only the stack on the far right has a cable running into it
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No.

Learn2designsoundsystemsforlargevenues

Two out of phase speakers can leave areas of a room with literally no sound from the amp. Some might be reflected off walls, but it can leave "blind spots" in the sound so to speak

Thats like DJing 101
Page 1 of 2