Page 1 of 2
Hello people!!!!
I really want a new guitar, my Epiphone Les Paul Special II needs a replacement!

I really love the Ibanez guitars so i would like to have one of those. I've looked on the internet and i found the RGA72QM. I mainly play metal (Metallica/slipknot/LoG) But also alot of rock and sometimes punk for funz.

Is this guitar suited for me, or do you got some better suggestions!?

Price around 500-700
No tremelo please, cause i change tuning alot, i don't want all those tuning problems with a Floyd Rose.

Thanks in advance,

TTeddybear
Last edited by TTeddybear at Aug 5, 2010,
I refuse to help you because you "love" Ibanezes
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
I hear that the RGA series are great metal guitars, and I absolutely love them Wizard II necks, it's also a great no-nonsense setup with the supposedly very comfortable and easy Gibraltar bridge, so yeah... go for it, says I.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Check out the RGA321 or the regular RG321, they are dirt cheap but worth it. I'd use the extra cash to invest in some decent EMGs or Seymour Duncans
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
Check out the RGA321 or the regular RG321, they are dirt cheap but worth it. I'd use the extra cash to invest in some decent EMGs or Seymour Duncans

Also this.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
500-700 what £ $ smarties, have a look at the ibanez art series if you can`t make your mind up between ibanez and epiphone
Quote by ibanezgod1973
500-700 what £ $ smarties, have a look at the ibanez art series if you can`t make your mind up between ibanez and epiphone

Dollars

I actually want a ibanez, not an epiphone;D
Quote by adj209

I don't like the look of those RG(A)321. And isn't it better to buy the more expensive one and then improve pick-ups? (And is the RGA72QM not better without the pick-ups then the 321?)

Thanks for all your reactions!

PS. Can you guys give me a little review on the RGA72QM, im not that familiar with all those technical therms.

Thanks,

TTeddybear
Quote by ibanezgod1973
also have a look at the darkstone series

Thanks for your reaction!

Looks really good, but i want a more fierce looking guitar. This one looks to much like my Epiphone, and that't not what i want!

TTeddybear
you said you don`t want a hardtail `cos you change tunings alot but you also want a fierce looking guitar, in which case i`d say keep your epiphone and use that for your tuning swaps and get a rgd series (they have a trem...btw) and put that in a drop tuning, which they are designed for (longer scale length).
That guitar is pretty nice, just like any other Ibanez in the mid-price range. It is well-built and plays very well with a good setup. It doesn't have a cheap trem, because it has no trem at all, and it is a very comfortable guitar to play, in my experience. I love Ibanez archtops. However, you will find yourself wanting to replace the pups in this guitar. You may even want to get passives, but EMGs or Blackouts are pretty good if you enjoy the balanced sound of active pickups.

Alternatively, I'd suggest looking into some Jacksons and LTDs, which are similar to Ibanez in terms of value in your price range. Schecter is very love/hate, but check 'em out as well.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibanezgod1973
you said you don`t want a hardtail `cos you change tunings alot but you also want a fierce looking guitar, in which case i`d say keep your epiphone and use that for your tuning swaps and get a rgd series (they have a trem...btw) and put that in a drop tuning, which they are designed for (longer scale length).

My Epiphone actually got a strange defect, so i want to use that one as less as possible
Quote by ibz_bucket
That guitar is pretty nice, just like any other Ibanez in the mid-price range. It is well-built and plays very well with a good setup. It doesn't have a cheap trem, because it has no trem at all, and it is a very comfortable guitar to play, in my experience. I love Ibanez archtops. However, you will find yourself wanting to replace the pups in this guitar. You may even want to get passives, but EMGs or Blackouts are pretty good if you enjoy the balanced sound of active pickups.

Alternatively, I'd suggest looking into some Jacksons and LTDs, which are similar to Ibanez in terms of value in your price range. Schecter is very love/hate, but check 'em out as well.

Do you got any site links of good pick-ups?
And can you explain the passive thingy?

Thanks in advance!
Quote by ibanezgod1973
what`s up with the epi then, `cos we can probably help you get that sorted aswell

Well the guitar sometimes loses connection to my cable. I know it's not my cable nor my amp cause ive tried my guitar on different amps/cables.

Would be cool if i can have this solved;D

THankksksksks
^ The input jack is probably just loose. Just resolder the connection, should only take a minute to fix.

That guitar is a good one.

But there is a huge difference between the Ibanez feel and Epiphone feel, so make sure you try it out or something similar to make sure you like it.

And before you drop $650 on a nice guitar, do you have a good amp to do it justice?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ The input jack is probably just loose. Just resolder the connection, should only take a minute to fix.

That guitar is a good one.

But there is a huge difference between the Ibanez feel and Epiphone feel, so make sure you try it out or something similar to make sure you like it.

And before you drop $650 on a nice guitar, do you have a good amp to do it justice?

I will buy an Line 6 Spider IV 75 from a friend, is that one any good?

THanks
No, it's not at all. As bad as your Les Paul is in the world of guitars, the Spider amps are just as bad in the world of amps. How much is he offering it for?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by 100%

hahalolz bashing brands you dont like (and probably have no experience with at all) is sooo cool.

Way to make yourself look like an ignorant tit.
Then again I wouldnt expect much more from a 14 year old.

TS, as has been said, there is a fair bit of difference in the feels of an Epi and an Ibanez, especially the models you were looking at.

Also, Offworld is right about the Epi, its almost certainly just a loose jack. Take the plate off and put a cable in, see if the long arm of the jack is touching the tip of the cable tightly, and also check if the wires are connected properly.
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Offworld92
No, it's not at all. As bad as your Les Paul is in the world of guitars, the Spider amps are just as bad in the world of amps. How much is he offering it for?

Like 125 Euro, so 150$ or something!
Quote by littlephil
hahalolz bashing brands you dont like (and probably have no experience with at all) is sooo cool.

Way to make yourself look like an ignorant tit.
Then again I wouldnt expect much more from a 14 year old.

TS, as has been said, there is a fair bit of difference in the feels of an Epi and an Ibanez, especially the models you were looking at.

Also, Offworld is right about the Epi, its almost certainly just a loose jack. Take the plate off and put a cable in, see if the long arm of the jack is touching the tip of the cable tightly, and also check if the wires are connected properly.

Wow thanks for the reaction man! I will try that when i come home from my vacation in france ;D

And isn't it cool that have 2 different guitars?
And is the Ibanez also good for playing clean parts like in Nothing Else Matters/One/The day that never comes?

Thanks !
Well, it's not a bad price for what it is, but it'd be a waste of money in the long run, and you could be stuck with that amp for a very long time.

I really strongly suggest that you let your guitar fund bleed into your amp fund, because a good amp is much more important than a good guitar in your setup.

You could get an RGA32, for $350, and then have $500 left over. With that, you could easily find a used Peavey 6505+ combo, or a Bugera 6262, which are both phenomenally better than a Spider, and will sound amazing for what you like to play.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I havent tried the RGA, so I cant really say how good it would be. I'm not really a big fan of Ibanez pickups, but like I said, I havent tried them. They should be OK for cleans though. Really your amp is more important for that sort of thing.

EDIT: Again, I agree with Offworld ^
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 6, 2010,
In my opinion, other than the more colorful finish, the inlays which look kinda cool and the neck-through construction, there is no reason to choose this over the RGA42 which is substantially cheaper and feels, sounds and plays basically the same. And you can use the extra money to upgrade the pickups and electronics. Not a bad deal, actually.

Just remember to try before you buy. Really. Don't order these online. I played this RGA72, the version with a tremolo, and in some spots there was a bit of fret glue that had leaked onto the fretboard. Also, the volume pot was kinda crooked. Always take a GOOD look at any Indonesian Ibanez before spending the money.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Mad Marius
In my opinion, other than the more colorful finish, the inlays which look kinda cool and the neck-through construction, there is no reason to choose this over the RGA42 which is substantially cheaper and feels, sounds and plays basically the same. And you can use the extra money to upgrade the pickups and electronics. Not a bad deal, actually.

Just remember to try before you buy. Really. Don't order these online. I played this RGA72, the version with a tremolo, and in some spots there was a bit of fret glue that had leaked onto the fretboard. Also, the volume pot was kinda crooked. Always take a GOOD look at any Indonesian Ibanez before spending the money.

Mmm, i looked into the RGA42 and its really buitiful (and cheeper). But that one is only available in USA. And i live in the Neterlands so for me the uglyer full black one is available.. ;(
I was looking on the Ibanez site, and I can't tell the difference between the RGA32, RGA43 & RGA72. They all have almost the exact same specs, they just have different finishes.

It would be unwise to spend so much on the 72 when the 32 is probably just as good for almost half the cost.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by TTeddybear
Mmm, i looked into the RGA42 and its really buitiful (and cheeper). But that one is only available in USA. And i live in the Neterlands so for me the uglyer full black one is available.. ;(

I live in Europe and I played one in a local shop.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Offworld92
I was looking on the Ibanez site, and I can't tell the difference between the RGA32, RGA43 & RGA72. They all have almost the exact same specs, they just have different finishes.

It would be unwise to spend so much on the 72 when the 32 is probably just as good for almost half the cost.

Yep, wouldn't go for the 72 anyways cause that one got a tremelo ;(

So ill think i will try:
RGA72QM
RGA32
RGA42
And just see which one feels right / sounds like.

And if i can get the Spider amp for like 120 euro's. Should i do it anyways? Im not that much of a pro and when i tryed that amp with my Epiphone it sounded really cool (And i love the preset thingy).

120Euro isn't that mutch right? And it is obvisusly better then my Roland Cube?
Or am i totally wrong now?

Thanks for ur help

TT
^It's really not better than your Cube. They're both practice amps, albeit 75W is a really big practice amp. If possible, try some of the amps I suggested.

As for the guitars, they should all feel about the same - they really are the same guitar in different finishes. Same woods and everything. The 72 is probably a bit better quality, but I doubt it's good enough to give up getting a good amp with the money instead.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^It's really not better than your Cube. They're both practice amps, albeit 75W is a really big practice amp. If possible, try some of the amps I suggested.

As for the guitars, they should all feel about the same - they really are the same guitar in different finishes. Same woods and everything. The 72 is probably a bit better quality, but I doubt it's good enough to give up getting a good amp with the money instead.

Forgot to mention that i have a Roland Cube 20 ;D

And ye ill try ur amps, do you got any links to site's for that amp?

Thanks!
For an amp I recommend you try out a Jet city they are cheap and I have heard nothing but great things about them.
Quote by 100%

yeah that was really helpful..

shut the fvck up and dont post in threads that you have no idea about....

Quote by Offworld92

You could get an RGA32, for $350, and then have $500 left over. With that, you could easily find a used Peavey 6505+ combo, or a Bugera 6262, which are both phenomenally better than a Spider, and will sound amazing for what you like to play.

listen to this man
Quote by TTeddybear
Forgot to mention that i have a Roland Cube 20 ;D

And ye ill try ur amps, do you got any links to site's for that amp?

Thanks!

I only have US links, I don't know of any sites where you live.

But these are them:

http://www.samash.com/p/6262%20212%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp_-49973108

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-Plus-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105612089-i1445921.gc

Out of the two, I personally prefer the Peavey, but I am a bit of a fanboy.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I used to own the RGA42, and it was a fantastic guitar. I can only guess that the 72 would be that much better. Go for it, man.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by LoudLove5150
I used to own the RGA42, and it was a fantastic guitar. I can only guess that the 72 would be that much better. Go for it, man.

Cool thanks, I will probably go for the RGA42 cause i don't want a tremelo
Quote by TTeddybear
My Epiphone actually got a strange defect, so i want to use that one as less as possible

Well, I would definatly consider trying your best to fix the defect. What is the defect by the way? Sorry if you've posted it already. But anyways, it's always nice to have a second guitar to rely on, and to use for alternate tunings. I would definatly go with Ibanez, because they make great guitars. Personally, I wouldn't buy one, because I play lighter stuff (mainly acoustic, and my strat works for everything else). But, check out the Ibanez model, and test it out, see if it's right for you. Yeah, those Epiphone Les Paul Special II guitars may be awesome at first, but they do give alot of problems, as they are meant for beginners to try out, then upgrade to a higher class guitar, they're not meant to be played for 20 years, although it may be possible .
Quote by TTeddybear
Cool thanks, I will probably go for the RGA42 cause i don't want a tremelo

The make the RGA72 without the trem

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGA72QM-Electric-Guitar-584133-i1499757.gc

They only offer the fixed bridge with the gray finish, but I think it looks really nice.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Page 1 of 2