^ I have been playing for around 1 year and i really would like to learn sweep picking. I know how to do the "picking motion" But which arpeggios should i start with ( If thats what they're called..) and at what speed ? I know this sounds stupid, but im lost and don't know where to start
One year is quite early to start trying to sweep if you ask me, unless you're a virtuoso already. Anyhoo, I'd start with three string sweeps to start with, all three variations of the major and minor ones is likely the best place to start.
start stupidly slowly, like painfully slow, and gradually increase the speed, until you can play each tempo perfectly without paying much attention (like while watching tele). Don't progress tempo until you can play it perfectly, otherwise higher tempos will sound awful, but if time is taken, you will be able to hear each note in the sweep rather than a noisy sweepy scratch.
Gear
- Ibanez SZ720FM (w/ Seymour Duncan AHB-1 blackouts)
- Boss TU-2
- MXR M116 (Fullbore Metal)
- Boss CE-2
- Digitech HardWire DL-8
- Boss NS-2
- Marshall MG100DFX (w/ 2-way Footswitch)
- Peavey PVi100
You could look up youtube video lessons, there are some pretty good ones. Make sure they're teaching a 3 string arpeggio, and playing it really slowly. At first you will think "Thats really slow, I bet I can play it way faster than that." but you can't, trust me. I've been sweep picking for about a year now, and I'm just now getting to a good level of clarity (I still have plenty of room for improvement.) The main thing that kept me from getting better faster was that I thought I was already good. You want to start out really slowly, just focusing on being really smooth and clean, and gradually speed up. If you can't sweep pick slowly, you can't sweep pick at all. If you try just jumping up to a fast tempo, you will be really sloppy until you go back and actually learn it the way you should have before. (And I'm talking from personal experience, I was very much in denial of how sloppy I was.)
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
You could look up youtube video lessons, there are some pretty good ones. Make sure they're teaching a 3 string arpeggio, and playing it really slowly. At first you will think "Thats really slow, I bet I can play it way faster than that." but you can't, trust me. I've been sweep picking for about a year now, and I'm just now getting to a good level of clarity (I still have plenty of room for improvement.) The main thing that kept me from getting better faster was that I thought I was already good. You want to start out really slowly, just focusing on being really smooth and clean, and gradually speed up. If you can't sweep pick slowly, you can't sweep pick at all. If you try just jumping up to a fast tempo, you will be really sloppy until you go back and actually learn it the way you should have before. (And I'm talking from personal experience, I was very much in denial of how sloppy I was.)

Thank you VERY much, alot great information there Yeah i was going to practice at around 25 bpm or even slower
Quote by Danjo's Guitar

+1
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
If you're starting off Sweep Picking, before learning any kind of Arpeggio. It's best to work on bare right hand mechanics. Mute 3 treble strings, and work on raking them. Make sure you keep a consistent tone and are relaxed. Once you're comfy with this, work on syncing up the left hand. Learn some basic 3 string Arp shapes, and practice them SLOW. Aim for perfection. Make sure to keep a look out for steady tone, relaxation and work on Economy of Motion (moving less). Once you get 3 down, go to 4, 5 and so on. And, always remember: Never sacrifice quality for speed. Speed will come. Work on the things that actually make your playing good .
Quote by mishax92
One year is quite early to start trying to sweep if you ask me, unless you're a virtuoso already. Anyhoo, I'd start with three string sweeps to start with, all three variations of the major and minor ones is likely the best place to start.

guess its right tho ... i've been like year too

Sweep seems a notes getting played fast ... but remember its also an ART ;3

and if u still wanna check youtube as some fellows here said XD

enjoy it and good luck for u and me (newbies :P)