So for anyone who's tried and succeeded getting an apartment in another place through places like craigslist, how do you write to the people renting out places?

Most of them ask something like "write a little about yourself" which I do, but I haven't exactly gotten alot of answers back so I'm wondering if I shouldn't take a little time to perfect it. So I'm asking, when you apply for an apartment by writing to a person, how do you present yourself? I mention things like what I'm going to study in that place, some activities I like, I'm smokefree, blablabla. Not sure how to finish the letters too.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Just put a picture up, that will get you a lot more success

Really though, what do you have so far? I'm good at this but not in Swedish, so I'm not 100% sure I can help you
Think about the average IQ of an apartment landlord.

Fill in the most obvious BS you can think of than there you go.

About me: "I am hard working, honest, had a job since I was 2, blah blah blah..."

They don't care. Write anything.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Tell them that you are Kensai.

duh.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Having thought about this some more, you need to grab people's attention. Start with things they want and then go to more interesting things. So it would be something like "I am tidy, hardworking and don't make much noise (or whatever the advert says they want as attributes) then you go on to things that make you seem interesting like "I am a great cook, very sociable and am interested in...." whatever. Keep it precise, but put interesting "nuggets" in there of things that they can expand on. And just lie about the negative things
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Just put a picture up, that will get you a lot more success

Really though, what do you have so far? I'm good at this but not in Swedish, so I'm not 100% sure I can help you

Haha yeah, do you think you should put in a pic in the first e-mail? I didn't think about it until I sent the last one.

Here it is, roughly translated through google:

"Hello!

Kjell and I'm looking for a place to
study musicology at full speed at Göteborg University this fall and
music theory at a distance. I am 23 years old, quiet, smoke-free and well-behaved.
Next year, I would look into the master's program in music, preferably composition as the main focus. (this paranthesis I put in when the place I apply to is shared with other: 'I have lived with several
people earlier, 1 year with two girls and a guy in a
photographic education and the near Katrineholm and I've spent the
past one and a half years in Gothenburg earlier studies with a
guy and two exchange students. It was fun and easy to live
together.')

Please contact me if it looks interesting and if the room is still
free!
/ Kjell"

That one is a bit older but I can't find the newer version, in which I put my activities (music, film) and possibly a little more personal information. Like there was a girl who rented an apartment in the area where my sister lives, so I told him I knew the area because she lived there we used to have dinners during the weekends etc.
Quote by Kensai
Haha yeah, do you think you should put in a pic in the first e-mail? I didn't think about it until I sent the last one.

Here it is, roughly translated through google:

"Hello!

Kjell and I'm looking for a place to
music theory at a distance. I am 23 years old, quiet, smoke-free and well-behaved.
Next year, I would look into the master's program in music, preferably composition as the main focus. (this paranthesis I put in when the place I apply to is shared with other: 'I have lived with several
people earlier, 1 year with two girls and a guy in a
photographic education and the near Katrineholm and I've spent the
past one and a half years in Gothenburg earlier studies with a
guy and two exchange students. It was fun and easy to live
together.')

Please contact me if it looks interesting and if the room is still
free!
/ Kjell"

That one is a bit older but I can't find the newer version, in which I put my activities (music, film) and possibly a little more personal information. Like there was a girl who rented an apartment in the area where my sister lives, so I told him I knew the area because she lived there we used to have dinners during the weekends etc.

That's good but I'd say a few more house things, emphasise being tidy (even if it's a lie), people hate messy housemates. And smokefree is a good message to reinforce too. I like the tone of it though.
Surely nobody wants us folk. What with guitars and pianos and the like.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
That's good but I'd say a few more house things, emphasise being tidy (even if it's a lie), people hate messy housemates. And smokefree is a good message to reinforce too. I like the tone of it though.

Thanks, do you think the finish is good? It sounds a bit weird to me.

I'll try to include pics in the next one I send. I have a perfect one when I'm playing with my little cousin on the playground ^^
Say nowt about the music, I know if I had two applications in front of me (and wasn't a guitarist)) id's pick the non-music student, as there's slightly less chance of them being noisy.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Tell them you used to be the milky bar kid, I know if I had 2 applications infront of me, and one of them wasn't the milky bar kid, i'd probably go for the one that was. Promise to say 'the line' if it helps. Unless you don't have those adverts in Sweden, then choose another classic advert or childrens tv character and repeat the same process. Helps you stand out from the crowd.

Also:

"Kjell and I'm looking for a place to
music theory at a distance"

Is that educational slang i've never heard of, or do you actually have to stand far away from what you're studying?
You have to apply for apartments now? WTH? I is confused.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I liked the ending of it. It's to the point, and it's polite as well.

Ok thanks. I just wasn't sure about my presentation since I sent like 10 e-mails and got no reply back. You're sending them to regular people wanting a roommate so you'd get some sort of reply I thought =/

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Say nowt about the music, I know if I had two applications in front of me (and wasn't a guitarist)) id's pick the non-music student, as there's slightly less chance of them being noisy.

Hm good point. Althought it can lead to some awkward silences when they ask what I study.

Maybe I can include something about using headphones or something.

Quote by aaciseric
Tell them you used to be the milky bar kid, I know if I had 2 applications infront of me, and one of them wasn't the milky bar kid, i'd probably go for the one that was. Promise to say 'the line' if it helps. Unless you don't have those adverts in Sweden, then choose another classic advert or childrens tv character and repeat the same process. Helps you stand out from the crowd.

Also:

"Kjell and I'm looking for a place to
music theory at a distance"

Is that educational slang i've never heard of, or do you actually have to stand far away from what you're studying?

Ah, that's google translate

Nah we don't have the milk bar thing here. I'm assuming it's slang for pro-racist organizations.

Quote by robhc
You have to apply for apartments now? WTH? I is confused.

Ah it's regular people putting out ads for wanting roomates or tenants. So I need to present myself instead, sadly.
Quote by Kensai

Hm good point. Althought it can lead to some awkward silences when they ask what I study.

Maybe I can include something about using headphones or something.

If they ask though you'll at least have gotten a reply. Plus they probably won't mind (provided you're genuinely not that noisy, and you're good ) anyway, it's just something that might make a difference at the e-mail stage.

If you can at all though, ring instead of sending e-mails. I sent a rake of e-mails without reply and only started to get viewings once I started phoning people up instead. It's too easy to ignore an E-mail, but you have to deal with someone when they're on the phone.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
If they ask though you'll at least have gotten a reply. Plus they probably won't mind (provided you're genuinely not that noisy, and you're good ) anyway, it's just something that might make a difference at the e-mail stage.

If you can at all though, ring instead of sending e-mails. I sent a rake of e-mails without reply and only started to get viewings once I started phoning people up instead. It's too easy to ignore an E-mail, but you have to deal with someone when they're on the phone.

Aah yeah, I'll try it in the next e-mails. I'm gonna try ringing too, though I'm really not a phone person. But if no one replies to the e-mails I have nothing to lose!

Quote by Thrill-house
Just tell them what you think they want to hear.

I sort of do know, but it's just formulating it and adding a personal fragrance that sounds out - positively.